PDA

View Full Version : New player...

little_pob
18-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Just picked up an OEM Pioneer blu-ray/HDDVD combo drive from ebuyer.

No software with it, but did get PowerDVD 7, which is supposed to support BD playback, with the a soundcard. Will try it and post back with results.

[edit] Doesn't work with just k-lite codec pack + nvidia pure video - not that I was expecting it to. Next try...

[edit 2] Got to get rid of a weird pink effect when running over HDMI before I try anything else. A quick google suggests its a colour space problem, but need to get into the enginers menu or get catalyst control centre working properly as there is no DVI port on this ATi x1650 pro.

[edit 3] Replaced the x1650 with a low profile nvidia 8400 by XFX with DVI to HDMI adapter, pink colour gone. Tried PowerDVD 7, but no HD playback on the OEM version. Apparently WinDVD 9 with Blu-Ray will sort me out. Will post back when tested.

[edit 4] Need to reformat the HTPC, keeps freezing up.

[edit 5] Installed Vista Home Premium and Nero 8 with the blu-ray plugin, but there is no HDCP on this 8400. Will have to try the x1650 again under Vista...

little_pob
28-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Wanted HDDVD playback to take advantage of discs of the defunct format being sold off cheap, so replaced the Pioneer with an LG Bluray/HDDVD player from ebuyer for ~?65 and grabbed a few HDDVDs for ?2.99 from HMV (the pioneer is now in my sister's HTPC).

The LG had the advantage of coming with the PowerDVD 7.3 HD suite + valid key.

As I needed to reinstall the HTPC anyway, I threw Vista Home Premium on there - just used the valid key from my vaio ;)

So with 3.2 Pentium D, 2Gb DDR2-800, XFX 8400GS, Asus Xonar DX, PowerDVD 7.3, AnyDVD HD (my DVI to HDMI adapter breaks HDCP), running Vista I've got stutter free bluray and hddvd playback.