PDA

View Full Version : Combustion Vent Needed With Cavity Wall Insulation?

pebar
16-06-2008, 11:01 PM
A company has been doing the rounds in my area to get people signed up for cavity wall insulation and with the cost of gas going ever upwards I was interested.

I have had a visit by a surveyor from the company who informed me that I would need a combustion vent installed if I went ahead with the cavity wall insulation. Apparently this will not cost me extra as they can claim it back somehow (I assume from the government) but I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before?

P. S. I know it's not exactly DIY as I won't be doing it myself but this seemed the most relevant group.

Hitman
16-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I think a combustion vent is a vent needed in a room with gas heating, ie a gas fireplace over a certain wattage requires ventilation as larger fires burn more oxygen in a room and that oxygen needs replacing through vents.
A lot of people block these off but if they have the heating on full blast they might find themselves getting a bit short of breath.

dx100-uk
17-06-2008, 02:21 AM
yep go with that

dx

pebar
17-06-2008, 01:08 PM
I had a coal-effect gas fire installed a couple of years ago but the guy who fitted it (who was CORGI registered) did not mention anything about a combustion vent. Not sure if he was a bit of a cowboy!

wullboy
17-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Yes any gas appliance fitted from 2002 must have a air supply vent as part of the BSI buildings & dwellings regulations and H&E gas installations regulations

andywebmail
21-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Buy a Carbon monoxide detector, sound investment & can be placed in different rooms to check that various gas appliance emmisions are under safe levels.
http://www.hyperchamber.com/images/carbon_monoxide_detector.jpg

wullboy
21-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Buy a Carbon monoxide detector, sound investment & can be placed in different rooms to check that various gas appliance emmisions are under safe levels.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. No m8, get your gas appliances serviced every year without fail, and then, there is no need for carbon monoxide detectors, this is where a lot of peeps fail in keeping a safe environment, all for the sake of saving a few bob, your life, and the life of your children are paramount ??

andywebmail
27-06-2008, 07:12 PM
No m8, get your gas appliances serviced every year without fail, and then, there is no need for carbon monoxide detectors, this is where a lot of peeps fail in keeping a safe environment, all for the sake of saving a few bob, your life, and the life of your children are paramount ??
Nowhere in my post did I say dont have your appliances serviced & certificated. I am in the gas industry and not all gas appliance deaths & illnesses are are due to unserviced appliances. Many other factors come into it, appliances develop faults (suprise suprise) in between their yearly check and certification. Vents can become blocked, sometimes by d.i.y enthusiasts sometimes by outside plant growth or birds nesting, just a few examples. A recent case of a detector saving life - Newly installed condenser CH boiler,certificated. CO alarm going off each evening, boiler passes all tests but alarm still sounds each evening. After much investigation it was found that the CH boiler in the flat above was at fault & leaching CO through the floorboards to the flat below where it was detected when the boiler came on by timer. Advising someone there is no need for a CO detector is the same as saying dont bother with smoke detectors and not sensible advise.