PDA

View Full Version : Scart set up

Bulld0g
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Ive just set up my new Plasma tv. I've connected a cable box to AV 1 and a satellite box to AV 2.When i choose AV1 i can watch cable, however when i choose AV 2 i only get sound and no video. When i swap them over i's the same. Is this normal. How can i watch either sat or cable without swapping over scart connections.

Not_much_cop
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Check the plug at the back of the Sat box, It would seem that the cables are OK, but they are not making proper connectiuon with the plug on the back of the sat box, thus the reason you are only getting audio.

I don't know the pin outs, but I have had the same problem before till I realised that one side of the scart plug was not going fully home, usually because you are "feeling" round the back and not actually looking at it to make sure the plug is going in square and straight.

Also check that the pins in the sat box have not been pushed back, due to the scart plug not being square the first tiem you tried to connect it, thus forcing the pins out.

Hope this helps.
NMC

thelostone
10-06-2008, 11:33 PM
just a long shot but make sure scart two is configered properly on your tv ie not sviedo or any thing else, you can change the scart settings on my plasma and if its not set correctly it dose all maner of weired things let us no how you get on

dx100-uk
11-06-2008, 12:30 AM
go with that, sat unit is not set to rgb or duff scart lead!.
now HOW you change the setting whilst you can't see the screen is another matter!
could use UHF out temp & tune the TV to that channel.

dx

Bulld0g
11-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for replies. They are new scart leads and a new tv.The problem must be with the scart on the tv.If i use scart in tv on AV1 and connect to either box i get picture and sound. If i use scart in AV2 i only get audio on both boxes. I have changed scart leads around too.

little_pob
11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks for replies. They are new scart leads and a new tv.The problem must be with the scart on the tv.If i use scart in tv on AV1 and connect to either box i get picture and sound. If i use scart in AV2 i only get audio on both boxes. I have changed scart leads around too.

Do you know if both the boxes are set to output in RGB?

Its possible that only SCART 1 is RGB enabled on the new TV.

thelostone
11-06-2008, 10:36 AM
now HOW you change the setting whilst you can't see the screen is another matter
I just go in to the nenu on my tv to change the settings dont have to go to av 1 or 2 so that is not a prob just assumed rightly or wrongly that is how all tvs worked

little_pob
11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Does TV and either of the boxes have component/YPbPr? It should give an image at least as good as RGB SCART (assuming they're set to RGB that is).

now HOW you change the setting whilst you can't see the screen is another matter
I just go in to the nenu on my tv to change the settings dont have to go to av 1 or 2 so that is not a prob just assumed rightly or wrongly that is how all tvs workedIf there is only one RGB enabled SCART socket you'd just use that to set one to SCART, component etc.

pande_monium
11-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Ive just set up my new Plasma tv. I've connected a cable box to AV 1 and a satellite box to AV 2.When i choose AV1 i can watch cable, however when i choose AV 2 i only get sound and no video. When i swap them over i's the same. Is this normal. How can i watch either sat or cable without swapping over scart connections.

Just because the TV/Scarts are new, does not necessarily mean that they work perfectly. Its worth verifying that they indeed do work properly.

I list a few of many possible problems - with their solutions:

Your scart cable is screwed - change the cable.
Your scart cable is not plugged in properly to the Sat box - make sure you've plugged the scart into the output for the TV, not for the VCR.
Swap sources - put Sat box on AV1 and cable box on AV2.
The AV2 input may not be working properly - this is the most unlikely of the options, but check by using the same cable/box on another TV.
Some TVs have only the scart socket on AV1 enabled with RGB. Check if this is true for your TV. What this means is that the TV will only receive or send signals one way... not the other. This can be verified by looking at the scart socket at the back. It will have a Rectangle with arrown showing both ways or one way (or no arrows at all).If your AV2 only gives out Audio signals and no video signals even after swapping sources (i.e. Satbox on AV1), then (5) is the most likely cause. The only alternative you then have is to convert from Scart to audio/video cable (RCA cable) using a scart-to-audio-video cable.

I'm betting my money on (2). You've got the scart plugged into the VCR socket. Please tell us how you get on with the solution. This will help others as well when they do a search.