PDA

View Full Version : Goodmans GFSAT200HD Black Freesat HD Digital Box

Timoweb
05-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I have just set up a Goodmans GFSAT200HD Black Freesat HD Digital Box and my first impressions and thoughts are;

Good points;
Looks great, little black box.
Dead easy to set up.
Auto updates and channels search and order set up (especially the post code area location nice touch).
BBC HD looks great at 1080i really nice for a freeview box.
All Euro 2008 matches in HD scheduled on it.

Bad points;
Its bigger than my 600, sure not much but its bigger argh.
Channel change time not as good as a 600 or 800 dm.
Menus err a tad old school is the best i can say.
ITV HD should be on it and its not yet.

I need a longer play with it to find out if there's any gems or major bugs will keep you posted.

DessertDog
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks timo been waiting to see a write up on freesat

Timoweb
09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
It's not a bad start for a free high def box.

Heroes in HD great picture but the most impressive thing i noticed was the sound. Hooked up to my surround sound system the 5.1 dd sound really made the program better.

Football in HD on the BCC, this is just fantastic switch back to normal def on your dreambox and from the main wide camera the players look like little blobs. Out of all programs this is the biggest and best use of HD for me anyway. Also 5.1 Dolby sound :D.

Football in HD on ITV HD, this is good fantastic picture (as BBC) unfortunately this is it goes a little pear shaped for ITV sound is not in 5.1 just standard 2 channel. Second bug is when you press red to go HD the HD stream is slightly ahead of the normal def but the sound stream is the same. This means there is a slight delay, not much but for me this is a massive bug. How can you boast HD content and have the sound half a second off synch!

With a bit of luck this is just teething probs with ITV the beeb have been broadcasting in HD much longer lets hope ITV catch up soon.

Ray Mears bushcraft in HD, only flicked over for a few minutes but the background looked stunning if your into the sort of program HD really brings it alive.

Summary;

If you go out today and buy a Freesat HD box you might feel a little sort changed when you first get it up and running having not much HD content on it.

I am sure in time there will be a lot more HD on it and it is the future of TV board casting.

Its good having HD content and absolute not monthly contract to worry about for only ?150 initial out lay. ?80 for a standard dish installation i would say is a little expensive and you might be best shopping around or fit your own dish.

If you have a HD TV and a sky mini dish doing nothing on your wall i would recommend get one just of the few HD channels which are out not.