PDA

View Full Version : What formats will play through computer?

Collider
02-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Got my 360 setup with windows xp MCE and all looks good but when i try to play a divx file it says unsupported file codec not installed blah blah blah.

My question is is there a codec pack for either computer or the 360 that will update it to play more formats?

This is what i get from microsoft site and it surely cant be the lot :( --->>

Video formats

MPEG-1 with MPEG audio
MPEG-2 with MPEG audio or AC-3 audio
WMV 7, 8, and 9 with WMA Standard or WMA Pro audio
WMV Image 1 and 2 (Photo Story 1, 2, and 3)Audio formats

Windows Media Audio (WMA) Standard
WMA Pro
WMA Lossless
MP3

tinkertiler
02-06-2008, 07:44 AM
If you are trying to strem from the pc to the 360 then use transcode 360 to stream because you can play anything that the pc can play!!! If you are trying to play off a disc or usb stick then you will need to go on LIVE and download the codec to play it.

Collider
02-06-2008, 08:20 AM
EDIT:

I found out how to set it up also lol

To set up Windows Media Player 11 on a PC running Windows XP

1. Connect your console to your PC as described above or using one of the connection types described in Connect to Xbox LIVE.
2. Go to the Windows Media Player 11 download page at Microsoft Corporation (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. to download the software.

Depending on your region, Windows Media Player 11 may also be available at Xbox.com | Xbox 360 Media Download Center (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 3. Click Windows Media Player Software (or, if you followed the link for a manual download, choose your operating system and follow the instructions).
4. Run the software setup on your PC and follow the prompts.
5. When setup is complete, Windows Media Player should automatically start. If not, open it.
6. In Windows Media Player, click Library, Media Sharing.
7. Select Share my media, OK. Windows Media Player will search for devices on your network.
8. Click your console, then click Allow. If you want to apply more options, click Settings. When done, click OK.
9. On your Xbox 360 console, in the Media area of the Xbox Dashboard, select Music, Pictures, or Video.
10. If your PC's content is not displayed, press X and select your PC.

Note

If your PC and your Xbox 360 console are connected to a router and your PC is using a Windows ICS connection to a third device, media sharing may not function.

Media sharing depends on the Xbox 360 console's UPnP traffic. This traffic may be blocked by a PC in this configuration. If this occurs, either turn off ICS to unblock UPnP traffic or rearrange your network.

Collider
02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Do you have a link for it tink as i can get it to download from there site,i got MCE not vista ;)

tinkertiler
02-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Download at runtime360.com (http://runtime360.com/projects/transcode-360/transcode-360-download)

Think that is the one you want mate but if i remember correctly if you have MCE installed you dont need it, if windows media player will play it then it should work. Transcode works a bit differently and when you go to play the avi or xvid you get it on the screen then you pressed something else to get a different menu up and then you pressed up and then you find transcode and as i said it will play whatever the PC will play. Ive not got my 360 hooked up to the pc because Vista is a pain in the a$$ to do it with!!! One min it will work then it just wont work at all so i gave up !!!! Now i just play xvids and stuff off disc and they work great but as i said you do need the latest dashboard installed on your 360 and the codec which is free installed but they do work great that way.

Collider
02-06-2008, 06:17 PM
When you say play xvids of disc do you mean with the 360?

I got the best one an elite so hope it works

tinkertiler
02-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Yes they will play off a disc in the 360 if you have the latest dash installed on the 360 and then connect to LIVE. What will happen it will say that you need a codec then it will tell you to download it all you do is download it then your good to go. All you do is goto the media blade on the 360 and then look for the video section, press enter then go to currant disc press enter again then you will see the video files pick the one you want to watch and it will play. Its that easy. The same will happpen if you use a usb memory stick or a external hard drive the only thing is that it needs to be formatted into a fat32 format or it wont work. The other this is that the HD avis that are floating about will also work and the picture is awesome on it. Any problems just say mate and i will do my best to help you out

Collider
02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks tink your a star ;)

Edit : Got question about HD now,which formats and easiest way to convert them to a working format that is still HD as just watched i am legend in 720p and that was ok lol but want 1080p avi as that would be mind blowing lol

tinkertiler
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
If you look around on some of the torrent sites ect you will find that films have been ripped from HD-DVD and Blue-Ray and converted to WMVs and they work great Ice Age 2 looks amazing, Sin City is out of this world. You can convert any file format to WMV but it takes ages so be warned!! I have converted some to WMV but they take soooooooooooo long to do. PM sent.

Collider
02-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I also found this which is meant to be quick for the mkv container format as theres loads out there

sentry23 - GOTSent (http://sentry23.googlepages.com/)

tinkertiler
02-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I remember when a friend and i was mucking about trying to get the wmvs to work ok we tried quite a few and in the end we ended up using River Past Video Cleaner as the rest of the programs were causing lip synch probs and other problems. I cannott remember using that program you will have to let us know if it works ok and how the films turn out.

thom
01-01-2009, 01:40 PM
do i have to link the pc with the xbox via pc ethernet to xbox ethernet or can i use a router

tinkertiler
12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
You can use a router without too many problems and then stream music and videos off the pc and they work great. I have heard that if you istall windows 7 then the 360 will play ALL video formats including x264s ect.