PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft names Windows 98 and Millennium execution day

Shipoftheline
04-07-2006, 10:10 AM
SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has named the day that Windows 98 and Millennium users will no longer have support.
On July 11, the two operating systems will have their final breakfast before being wiped from Vole's support brain. Although many expected Microsoft to stop supporting the quaintly antique software, the date for liquidation was uncertain.

According to the Washington Post, Security Vendors are also following suit and are phasing out support for two operating systems.

The paper said that more than 13 per cent of Vole's customers, or 70 million people, still use the software. Given the fact that it was buggy, unstable and fairly weak on security, it is probably better shipped off to the software graveyard.

The only defence that Win98 and Millennium users now have against attack will be the fact that the virus writers are too young to remember how to crack it.

Johannes Ullrich, chief technology officer for the SANS Internet Storm Center told the Post that Windows 98 and ME users already have a measure of security through obscurity, because most malicious code created today will not run properly on those systems.
Microsoft names Windows 98 and Millennium execution day (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Rest In Peace

nss1888
04-07-2006, 10:39 AM
The only defence that Win98 and Millennium users now have against attack will be the fact that the virus writers are too young to remember how to crack it.

Damm, that makes me feel old..... anyone remember the ZX81 ?

I think I need a lie down.... :gone: