PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broadband

beerdame
14-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I have 2 cables from Virgin, one feeds my cable box for TV and the other is upstairs feeding my broadband.
Can I split my downstairs cable and feed both the TV and broadband from that cable only ?

fergalsworld
14-05-2008, 10:33 AM
In a word yes:)

beerdame
14-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm off to get the bits and pieces now...

beerdame
15-05-2008, 09:35 AM
OK, Bought a 2-way splitter which feeds the TV and PC. TV works fine but cable modem refuses to work - the ready light just flashes constantly which means there is a problem with the signal (I think).... any suggestions ? Do I need a filter or anything for the modem to work ?

TIA

Sicilian
15-05-2008, 09:41 AM
U tried rebooting the modem? Have you connected the modem back to the orig feed to see if it's going on line? Have you got it connected to a router? If you have turn router & pc's off, reboot modem then other stuff.

DavC
15-05-2008, 09:51 AM
try unplugging your new splitter and plug the cable straight into the BB and see if that works

beerdame
15-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I've rebooted everything several times last night but modem just will not work. I don't want to reconnect to original feed, it's upstairs and is now the new baby's room. So modem must work in it's new location downstairs, I'll maybe ring Virgin helpdesk....

Thanks for all the help guys..!!

Dr X
18-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Must be a connection lead issue m8.
Ok try looking at the rear of your modem if its the small black box version and there is a small pin hole on it, press a pin into that while its ona nd it will reset the modem for you.
Give it time to reset and it should work.
Also u can log into you modem system and check it via h**p://192.168.100.1/ and check the pining system.
Make sure u have a good splitter as i have come across such ones that are faulty and so also check your lead make sure its live.

Dr X

Danril
21-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Is there a splitter on the wall outside your house to send the feed upstairs and downstairs? I know there was a splitter type device on the wall outside my friends house he moved into and it actually had a switch on that stopped the TV signal downstairs. He flicked the switch and it worked. You may have one of those outside.

Can't remember the name for it at the moment, it will come to me after I press 'submit' no doubt!

pande_monium
21-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I've rebooted everything several times last night but modem just will not work. I don't want to reconnect to original feed, it's upstairs and is now the new baby's room. So modem must work in it's new location downstairs, I'll maybe ring Virgin helpdesk....

Thanks for all the help guys..!!

I'm willing to bet my money that you have an "isolater" downstairs. What this does is that it divides the frequency range into 2 sections -
- 1st which carries the video signals, and,
- 2nd which carries the data signals.
It looks similar to the splitter, but will have the words "Data" and "Video" written on the 2 outlets. There will still be only 1 inlet.

Remove the isolater and replace it with a normal splitter. You'll then have both signal frequence spectrums being sent to both cable feeds - downstairs & upstairs.