PDA

View Full Version : Non official box, wtb?

Satsearching
08-05-2008, 05:17 PM
So what do people think would be the ideal box (non official freesat box)?

I need to sort out freesat for my dad who currently has terestial freeview, one of the anoying things is the channel list.

On a dbox/dreambox the bouquets can be set to whatever you want so I was thinking about a dm500 or clone.

But! What about the HD services? he would never want a HD tv but would there be the posibility of a channel of interest being broadcast in HD only (which he would be happy to watch on SD via scart)!

I suppose what I am asking is, will HD channels also be broadcaster side by side with a SD version.

And if not, what would be a good cheap HD sat box running Linux that can downscale HD to SD through the scart?

Oh, just to add, the reason wanting a linux box (non official freesat box) would be the posibility to use a cam/card (like cccam) for a ftv $ky card if required?

Cheers
SS

pt-1
14-05-2008, 02:57 PM
So what do people think would be the ideal box (non official freesat box)?
I need to sort out freesat for my dad who currently has terestial freeview, one of the anoying things is the channel list.
On a dbox/dreambox the bouquets can be set to whatever you want so I was thinking about a dm500 or clone.
But! What about the HD services? he would never want a HD tv but would there be the posibility of a channel of interest being broadcast in HD only (which he would be happy to watch on SD via scart)!
I suppose what I am asking is, will HD channels also be broadcaster side by side with a SD version.
And if not, what would be a good cheap HD sat box running Linux that can downscale HD to SD through the scart?
Oh, just to add, the reason wanting a linux box (non official freesat box) would be the posibility to use a cam/card (like cccam) for a ftv $ky card if required?
Cheers
SS

There will be paralell Broadcast's in non HD.

Have a look at the Kathrein USF910 or the DGStation Kit as they offer what you are looking for.

I am unsure about HD Content downscaled to Scart or anything but I do assume it would just let you watch it.

PT-1

Satsearching
19-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Another quick question to this.

When someone applies for a freeview card fron $ky, do you have to give box details as I am led to believe the $ky freeview cards are not married to the box like subscription cards??

Satsearching
21-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Done some googling and answering my own post here for info....

$ky cards only need to be paired to a box for premium channels, so a freesat card does not need to be paired and will work in any box.

SS

When someone applies for a freeview card fron $ky, do you have to give box details as I am led to believe the $ky freeview cards are not married to the box like subscription cards??

pt-1
22-05-2008, 01:04 PM

The Freesat Card from Sly must be married to a Sly approved Receiver.

The Freesat from the BBC & ITV does not need a card

Satsearching
22-05-2008, 04:58 PM
The Freesat Card from Sly must be married to a Sly approved Receiver.
The Freesat from the BBC & ITV does not need a card

Are you sure about this? Another bout of googling says not.

Quote from another site
Link ------> UKSatelliteHelp.co.uk - Freesat FAQ (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Q.Is a Freesat FTV card ‘married’ to a specific Digibox?

A. Matching up or ‘marrying’ a card to a Digibox happens only with the Sky premium subscriptions. FTV cards are never married to a box.

Timoweb
22-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Are you sure about this? Another bout of googling says not.

Quote from another site
Link ------> UKSatelliteHelp.co.uk - Freesat FAQ (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Q.Is a Freesat FTV card ‘married’ to a specific Digibox?

A. Matching up or ‘marrying’ a card to a Digibox happens only with the Sky premium subscriptions. FTV cards are never married to a box.
That article is wrong, it is calling Freesat FreeSatfromSky they are both different. The person that has written it has got mistaken. Its a ploy from sky to sucker people in to get FreeSatfromSky by mistake thinking they are getting Freesat from BBC/ITV.

Satsearching
22-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I am seeing this info from lots of sources though.

Another Link -----> Freeview or Free To View or Free To Air (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Freesat/FTV card will work in *any* Sky Digibox.

A Sky viewing card will work in *any* Sky Digibox except for the "Premium" channels."

Does anyone on here actually have a freesatfrom$ky card and confirm?

I will try my card in some one elses box and see if ch4 works.

Timoweb
23-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes i have a UK sky digibox and dish with a freeview* card in it. It only gets the free stuff BBC/ITV 4 shopping etc.

pt-1
25-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I am seeing this info from lots of sources though.
Another Link -----> Freeview or Free To View or Free To Air (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Freesat/FTV card will work in *any* Sky Digibox.
A Sky viewing card will work in *any* Sky Digibox except for the "Premium" channels."
Does anyone on here actually have a freesatfrom$ky card and confirm?
I will try my card in some one elses box and see if ch4 works.

I had this done and the card needed to be activated in a Sly Box. I even had to upgrade the FW on the Receiver 1st before Freesat/Sly activated the Card.

You have to give them the serial and the Card only works in that Box or of course with a "software" solution

Satsearching
26-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Agreed, a "new clean" Freesat card from Sly needs to be activated in a Slybox, but after activation, should work in any sly box afterwards not requiring pairing for free channels?

SS

lucid
22-06-2008, 02:48 AM
just checked on the freesat sly box and E4/more4 now work I'm sure these didn't used to, I wonder when they came on...