PDA

View Full Version : Freesat is here!

Satsearching
06-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Today, Tuesday 6th of May marked the launch of the huge new Freesat service!

Not a glittering fanfare though, a few brief news articles in papers, a 1 min mention on Radio 1 newsbeat today, and a total muckup of the launch website that was down for most of the time after someone decided to change the site background to Black despite having many graphics/logos in black!

Well, it looks like the webmaster has been busy and has got most of the site problems sorted, but still a bit hit or miss.

Link----> freesat - Home (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. This has huge potential with HD and the possibility of around 200 channels, but still appears to be so badly marketed, Argos is showing the new boxes out of stock!

Anyway, has anyone here got one of the new boxes or had a scan to see if anything looks different on 28' ?
SS

borosmoggy
06-05-2008, 10:57 PM
There was a repot on this on news at 10 tonight looks quite interesting wonder how many channels you can get with freesat that we cant get on cable 200 channels and all free sounds good .

**OVERRIDE**
06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Iam just doing a scan now on my eagle linux box,will let ya know what i find........

Satsearching
06-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Well it has the potential of 200 channels (reportably) but at lauch today they are saying 80 channels are currently on-line (including radio).

I'll have a scan myself tomorrow, but reports now suggest they are coining the phrase "Soft start" of the service and saying full service running in Autumn.

What a joke, SK$ should be worried but probably having a right laugh now.

Are they employing the same jokers from the old bsb system?

SS

DessertDog
07-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Very badly launched i cant find a price anywhere.
I have a small sky sat dish with lnb im hopeing i can use that and just buy the HD ready humax box.

thelostone
07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Very badly launched i cant find a price anywhere.
I have a small sky sat dish with lnb im hopeing i can use that and just buy the HD ready humax box.
Found this
What do I need for Freesat?
You need to have a satellite system installed. This includes a satellite dish with an LNB pointing at the Astra 2 satellite, the cabling, the satellite receiver such as a Sky Digibox, and - if you want to watch C4, Five, Five Live, Five US and Sky Three - an FTV card. The FTV card is available for a one-off payment of ?20 and there are no further monthly or subscription charges
Hope this helps

borosmoggy
07-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Theres a couple of them on ebay already trying to make a quick profit i bet lol .
I dont think sky will be losing to much sleep over this to be honest not yet anyway and it will have to do much better marketing the thing .

Thers a couple of links here telling what you need and prices and stations =

Freesat from the BBC, ITV & Channel Four (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. BBC/ITV Freesat - Spring 08 | ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002 (http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051231)

krazylegz
07-05-2008, 08:17 PM
i scanned my astra 2 the other day and it all seemed the same.....it would be worth getting one of those recievers tho just for the HD output of BBC and ITV etc which wont cost any extra;)

jassian
11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
The Humax Foxsat HD Freesat Receiver is available for ?150 here...

Humax Foxsat HD Freesat Receiver :: Parabolic Online Shop (http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=298&osCsid=7bf8380ddd199cfad04050b31131ed21)

revird
11-05-2008, 04:14 PM
hi m8s,you,ll have to forgive if trhis is not entirely corrct as info is sketchyon the technical side.
however i have heard that the real freesat service will be transmitted in MHEP5.
thats basically the same type of transmission as the up and running Freeview sevice on uk terrestrial.
the ch 4 ch5 card refered too, has been advailable for a long time now,long before Freesat was invented.
regards

pt-1
14-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Found this
What do I need for Freesat?
You need to have a satellite system installed. This includes a satellite dish with an LNB pointing at the Astra 2 satellite, the cabling, the satellite receiver such as a Sky Digibox, and - if you want to watch C4, Five, Five Live, Five US and Sky Three - an FTV card. The FTV card is available for a one-off payment of ?20 and there are no further monthly or subscription charges
Hope this helps

Unfortunately the Info yuou posted is from the BSlyB Offer that is also called freesat but is actually from Sly !

The BBC & ITV offer does not need any card and no cost ! (Apart from any potentional Receiving equipment)

Timoweb
14-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Argos - www.argos.co.uk (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001001&langId=-1&searchTerms=Freesat&Submit=GO+%3E)