PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Go's Blu-ray Confirmed

cozmo
06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Found this in a different forum very interesting reading
(http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/03/2113247&from=rss)

Slashdot has got the skinny on Steve Balmers beet-red face disclosing that the Xbox 360 and Games for Windows division of Microsoft have been working on implementing the Blu-Ray format. Quotage below.

"Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer had admitted that Microsoft had been working on support for Blu-ray under Windows during this year's Mix08 conference. Rumors began to swirl and many began to expect Microsoft to announce a Blu-ray peripheral for the Xbox 360. However, Microsoft came out and denied all rumors, stating that they were not exploring any kind of Blu-ray add-on or in talks with Sony about integrating Blu-ray into the Xbox experience. After months of rumors and denials, the Xbox 360 with Blu-Ray drive is due to be manufactured soon and shipped in Q3 of 2008. Pegatron Techonology an OEM subsidiary of Asustek Computer, is reported to have received the winning order from Microsoft for a Blu-ray equipped Xbox 360."

I'd like to now take the time to tell you all that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is now possible on the Xbox 360. Oh snap!

so looks like its going to happen seen it now in a few places around the web but i always thought that it would happen one day when hd discs lost the battle it was only a matter of time IMO

Cozmo:dd:

dude38
15-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I think this is a good move by microsoft as the ps3 selling point is the blu-ray drive.
I was one of those who ran out and bought a Hd-dvd addon drive for the 360 and was well impressed with the quality of the movies.
It's a pity it got muscled out by the movie heavy weights reminds me of the betamax and vhs war.
I'm not sure how the 360 will handle the hd audio will just have to wait and see .

tinkertiler
16-06-2008, 12:09 PM
The best that is going to happen is a Blue Ray add on like they did with the HD-DVD add on that was around they wont bring a blue ray drived console out for the simple reason it will push costs up much higher and they will not be able to use blue ray for the games because then the old consoles that dont have the BR drive in wont be able to play the new games on. That would annoy alot of people and would loose MS alot of cash. I wont personally believe anything along these lines till i actually see one in the shop maybe one day it will happen but i dont think it will be till next year at least