PDA

View Full Version : Sky+ and FreeSatSky?????

Furgus Dunne
02-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Morning All,

Just got my Sky Installed yesterday and its great, only got the Sky Sports 1 as Premium, but there are tonnes of channels to watch.

I have a few Questions though, if people could help me out

Firstly, I purchased the Sky with a Standard Sky Box, what I want to know, is if I buy a Cheap Sky+ box, can I use this instead by just plugging it in, and then be able to record on it. As i believe there is no Extra MOnthly costs or Subscriptions with Sky+ apart from having to pay for the Box from Sky. Also I am on a Communial Dish if that makes a Difference and would my card need Upgrading or can I just stick it in the Sky+ box

Secondly, If the above works, then I will have 2 boxes, and i read somewhere, that you can plug the second box in a different room as I have Sky Aerial in there and Phone Line(not sure which I need to use) and then ring Sky or Someone and pay ?20 for a FreeSatSky as one off payment and recieve all the Free Channels Sky Provide which I am not sure how many there are but believe quite a few, maybe even more that Freeview or maybe I am wrong

Any Help on this would be Appreciated

krazylegz
02-05-2008, 10:27 AM
yeah you can buy a sky+ box m8, you dont have to get one from sky direct you can get one from any retailer or ebay, then ring up sky and they will pair your card to the new box and there is NO extra subscription since you already have a package with them, however since you said you have a communial dish you will need to make sure that there is 2 feeds coming into the room where you want the sky+ box as the second tuner wont work without it.

yeah you could put the old box in your bedroom with a freesat card connected to a sky coax, you do get a lot of channels but i'm sure you dont get the likes of sky sports news for some reason

Furgus Dunne
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Cheers mate,

Although I am a bit confused with the 2 feeds bit

The Setup I want will be main room will have the Sky Coaxil Aerial connected to my Sky+ box with Original card in that has been updated after ringing sky

Then my Original Sky Box, setup in the bedroom where there is also a Sly Coaxil Cable Aerial whch I will hook up to the Sky box and have the FreeSkySat Card

Is this the setup to have above, or when you say 2 feeds, do you mean, 2 seperate cables coming into the flat for each Sky Socket, as these may be setup on the one feed coming into house and therefore cannot have different channels on different Aerial points at once(sorry If i am talking crap lol)

And if above is correct, how would i know if had 2 Feeds, as in 2 seperate cables coming into house and running to each Aerial Point?

Furgus Dunne
02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Alrite again,

I have checked and thin I know what you mean, as seen that alot of people have fitted LNB to their dish to give them 2 seperate feeds, so they can have more than one box in the house operating Seperatley.

As mine is a Connunial and would not be able to Install one of these up there as not mine, you are asking if they have already set ip up so there are 2 seperate Feeds coming into the house. I think thats right aint it?

Also if it hasnt and I plug another box into that room even so people can watch in there what I am watching in Main rom, apart from the box, how do I purchase another card, as shouldnt get charged anything as viewing the same thing in both rooms so not exactly multiroom or anything

krazylegz
02-05-2008, 01:14 PM
what i mean is for a sky+ box to work properly it needs to have 2 feeds coming into the box as it has twin tuners....thats how you can record one program whilst watching another............so if there isnt 2 feeds coming into your main room where the +box is going to be its pointless getting a +box as it'll just have basicly the same functions as a normal box..........if you get my drift i'm crap at explaining lol

Furgus Dunne
02-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Right, I kinda know what you mean now lol

So, if i have an Aerial Point in Main and Bedroom, I can have one with my Sky Package and the other with the FreeSat as i explained above.

Only problem your saying is the record function, as I take it, if I have only one feed, then all I could do, is record what I was watching.

Was confuses me is, if i had of erdered a Sky+ box, would the engineer have come and installed a second feed or something, or just said you only have one feed, so cant have Sky+.

Also, the setup I have, is I have a Wall Socket, with 3 Aerial Points, one is the Coaxil Sky, on is FM, and the other one is the TV Aerial.

Basically, I only have the one Coaxil Cable Aerial in Main room, so i presume thats one Feed and if hook up, could only record what I was watching

monster1
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
no mate if you ordered the + box the Engineer would ev changed or put on a new dish with twin LNB if it was possible and if not he would ev told you.

fdunne
03-05-2008, 12:20 PM
cheers mate

that idea is out then lol

think, ill just get another sky box for bedroom then on freeskysat

cheers