PDA

View Full Version : electrical prob, plz help

a1nads
29-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I bought a house 4 yrs ago which had both dining room and living room both converted into one. however i got the partition wall rebuilt. now the problem that was created: the switch to all the lights in both rooms is situated within the dining room. each room has a ceiling light and 2 wall lights. one switch controls all 4 wall lights, and 2 switches control the ceiling lights. i want to place a switch in the living room for that room. how do i do this

andrew
29-04-2008, 01:31 PM
can u access under floorboards of the floor above. if so most modern electrical systems have the live and neutral wires going to the light fitting. therefore you can take a live feed from there down to your new switch and take a switch wire back to the light. a two core cable will do this but you must put brown tape on the blue wire to show that it is live. hope this helps

dx100-uk
29-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I bought a house 4 yrs ago which had both dining room and living room both converted into one. however i got the partition wall rebuilt. now the problem that was created: the switch to all the lights in both rooms is situated within the dining room. each room has a ceiling light and 2 wall lights. one switch controls all 4 wall lights, and 2 switches control the ceiling lights. i want to place a switch in the living room for that room. how do i do this

quite honestly, if you dont understand electrical wiring, LEAVE WELL ALONE.

there are now SERIOUS implications to do with DIY & the P-Regs law.

although this is a modification to existing wiring, it does involve the installation of NEW switches, and is thus covered by the new regulations.

get a competent sparks in to do it & save yourself your life & those of your family if something goes wrong later on. it can invalidate your house insurance if you carry this out yourself & it is not certified

dx