PDA

View Full Version : Beckham quits as captain after Cup exit

Gazer
02-07-2006, 08:22 PM
David Beckham quit as England captain on Sunday, the morning after his side was knocked out in the quarterfinals of the World Cup.

A tearful Beckham, wearing the England suit and tie, read from a statement in front of a crowded news conference in England's training camp in southern Germany, stressing that he wanted to continue playing for England.
"On November 15, 2000, Peter Taylor gave me the greatest honor of my career in making me captain of England and fulfilling my childhood dream," Beckham said. "Now almost six years later ... I feel the time is right to pass on the armband as we enter in a new era under Steve McClaren." Beckham wrote the statement late Saturday night, hours after England's penalty shoot-out defeat to Portugal. Beckham, 31, had left the field with a leg injury in the 52nd minute.

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard or Chelsea defender John Terry are the most likely to take over from Beckham as captain. Both are captains of their Premier League clubs.
Beckham has been captain for 58 of his 94 England caps. He said he had decided "some time ago" to quit as captain after this World Cup, his third.
"This decision has been the most difficult of my career to date," he said. "But after discussing it with my family and those closest to me, I feel the time is right."
McClaren will take over as England coach from Sven-Goran Eriksson. "It has been an honor and a privilege to have captained our country and I want to stress that I wish to continue to play for England and look forward to helping both the new captain and Steve McClaren in any way I can."

Beckham walked out immediately after reading his statement.
Taylor, who was caretaker coach before Eriksson took charge, raised eyebrows when he appointed Beckham as captain but said his decision had been vindicated.
"I feel he has been a terrific captain and he's played very well for us," Taylor said. "He must have thought about it long and hard. There have been a couple of dips in form but overall he's been outstanding and should be proud of the last six years." Beckham's first World Cup in 1998 was marked by his red card against Argentina in the second round. That game went to penalties and England lost.

In 2002, Beckham broke a bone in his foot in the leadup to the World Cup. He played every match but wasn't fully fit and England lost to Brazil in the quarterfinals.
Beckham said the squad was devastated by another quarterfinal exit in Germany.
"Our performance during this World Cup has not been enough to progress further and both myself and all the players regret that and are hurt by that more than people realize," he said. Beckham has been England's most famous soccer player for nearly a decade, a fame heightened by his romance and marriage to pop star Victoria Adams from the Spice Girl girls. In 1999 he was part of the Manchester United team to win the European Cup, FA Cup and Premier League.

His celebrity grew to encompass his professional and personal life, as "Posh and Becks" became Britain's biggest celebrity couple, even when he moved from Manchester United to Spain's Real Madrid in 2003.
First capped at age 21 by Glenn Hoddle against Moldova in September 1996, Beckham was named England's captain for the first time by caretaker coach Taylor for a friendly in Italy. He took over the captaincy on a permanent basis from Alan Shearer, who retired after the 2000 European championships. "I have lived the dream, I am extremely proud to have worn the armband and been captain of England and for that, I will always be grateful," Beckham said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5749590_36_2.jpg
A tearful David Beckham leaves the media center via a rear door after stepping down as England captain. (Ross Kinnaird / Getty Images)

Wee Gordon
02-07-2006, 09:03 PM
i think the captain will go to terry

hacker999
02-07-2006, 09:40 PM
no m8 think itl be owen maybe... no way rooney lol....

Wee Gordon
03-07-2006, 12:14 AM
lol why not rooney hes a brill player

Shipoftheline
03-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Think owen's past his prime

DanielHarvey
03-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Have to agree with wee gordon it will probably go to Terry.

If its not him it will be Gerrard

Collider
03-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Could even see neville getting it,gutted the beckhams stepped down as i thought he was a great captain,always got to find someone to blame hey.

And if rooney gets it then the worlds gone mad rofl

hibsbollah
03-07-2006, 12:34 PM
25 year John Terry will be named soon as the new captain of England' he is clearly the best man for the job

SpyJoe
03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Very sad news... Beckham was good as a captain. He probably started hating it that media keeps abusing him, etc...

I think Terry should be the new captain...

SteveJ
05-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Beckham is over rated in my opinion. all he gives England is an option for freekicks.

Terry or Gerrard for the captaincy, I reckon.