PDA

View Full Version : windows server 2000 active directory

MACH7
02-07-2006, 06:17 PM
hi

i accedently renamed a computer on my network the same name and assigned it the same ip address as the primary domain controller. :sad:

know when when i run active users and computers on the PDC i get the following error:

"active directory , naming information cannot be located because the target
principle name is incoreect..contact your system administrator to veryify that your domain is correctly configured and curriently online."

i have renamed the client computer to a diff name and took of the ip address, but cannot connect to the domain due to athe above error on the PDC.

Any help is much

Thank you

renwich
07-07-2006, 05:20 PM
check the DNS has been corrected , try doing an ipconfig /flushdns, or ipconfig /registerdns

if you have wins delete any conflicting entries for the client

can other pc's connect to the domain ok

run dcdiag

this has a couple of option switches, it will tell you where the error is

timaddamz
07-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Have you rebooted the PDC?

Delete any DNS entries, DHCP, WINS .....

Try deleting the computer from AD.

sunst4r
10-07-2006, 10:39 AM
To check for DNS run netdiag -v and check the log for errors, this has been almost certainly created by an orphaned ip address lurking around, removing the computer name and related IP's from DNS and wins should be fine, also run nslookup and specify the IP to dsee if there is still duplicate names in the cache. Once these changes have been made force replication via ad sites and services to speed up any repl times.

Thanks

Sunst4r
MCSE, CCEA

shenu
17-08-2006, 07:43 AM
check your tcp/ip settings also configure your dns settings and at command prompt type nslookup on your pdc and workstation it should show domain
try pinging with the server and register your dns.
nslookup is the best tool

callisto11
17-08-2006, 09:51 AM
A quick search on Google brings up these possible solutions :

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Error Message "Target Principal Name is Incorrect" When Manually Replicating Data Between Domain Controllers (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288167)

The first one looks the most promising..

ianmax
01-09-2006, 08:32 PM
you need to be domain admin
or part of group with right access

fatkitkat
14-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Mach7 how did you get on with this.:goodluck:

just interested.

robsdesk
16-12-2006, 11:56 PM
if you haven't already reboot it - when it detects a conflicting ip the card is effectively disabled. AD gets very fed up & looses contact with DNS etc.. which is critical for AD to work.