PDA

View Full Version : just got rid of norton.

sprally
25-04-2008, 12:50 PM
any good free anti virus/ firewalls out there?

smif
25-04-2008, 01:03 PM
AVG or Avast for your av and windows firewall is fine so long as your
not a regular visitor to dodgeysite.com.

borosmoggy
25-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi sprally for a decent firewall zonealarm is good and free you can use this link to download it =

ZoneAlarm 7.1.078 - Computeractive (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. And for a good anti virus for me you just cant beat AVG Free and you can get it from here =

AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.01 - Computeractive (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Hope this helps you out :-)

Collider
25-04-2008, 01:56 PM
zone alarm and avast is what i use and they never hog my system ,alos i use peer guardian to block them annoying ip`s we dont want ;)

dx100-uk
25-04-2008, 01:58 PM
AVG or Avast for your av and windows firewall is fine so long as your
not a regular visitor to dodgeysite.com.

it is not very advisable to just use any version of windows firewall.

sadly, they only protect against incoming nasties, if you accidently infect your PC with a virus or trojan, from say a DVD download or other download [VERY common on torrents and sharing sites] it will be free to spew out wherever it likes without being blocked, this is likewise the same for router firewalls.

ALWAYS install a software firewall [like as suggested ZoneAlarmFree] on any PC with an active internet connection.

Another VERY common route of trojans infection is to browse the internet with an A/C that has administration rights.

ActiveX plug-ins will install and run automatically in the background without any notification.

dx

Sicilian
25-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi sprally for a decent firewall zonealarm is good and free you can use this link to download it =
ZoneAlarm 7.1.078 - Computeractive (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. And for a good anti virus for me you just cant beat AVG Free and you can get it from here =
AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.01 - Computeractive (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Hope this helps you out :-)

Great thanks for those links, didn't realise avg were now offering AVG8.0 free of charge :)

smif
26-04-2008, 02:15 PM
it is not very advisable to just use any version of windows firewall.
sadly, they only protect against incoming nasties, if you accidently infect your PC with a virus or trojan, from say a DVD download or other download [VERY common on torrents and sharing sites] it will be free to spew out wherever it likes without being blocked, this is likewise the same for router firewalls.
ALWAYS install a software firewall [like as suggested ZoneAlarmFree] on any PC with an active internet connection.
Another VERY common route of trojans infection is to browse the internet with an A/C that has administration rights.
ActiveX plug-ins will install and run automatically in the background without any notification.
dx
I know what you mean about the one way windows firewall allowing all
outbound connections but this is only a concern for those who do not
use their av programs correctly,if you download a file and open it
without scanning then of course you are asking for trouble.I have
been using avg and the built in windows firewall for the last five years
with no infections and i am a regular torrent user.
Deciding what firewall to use really depends on the users internet
habits and level of paranoia,so for many the built in firewall is
fine.For anyone worried about how well their computer will stand
up to inbound attacks go to ??Home of Gibson Research Corporation?? (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and do the shields up test.

Hitman
27-04-2008, 06:36 PM
kaspersky internet security is the best in my opinion

happyclapper
27-04-2008, 10:14 PM
ill second kaspersky. Find it much better than the others listed