PDA

View Full Version : RS232 cable? and a picture quality

ssmacc
20-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Hello All,
Is this the right cable for flashing a Dreambox via USB? and does the software wotk on Vista 64?

USB to RS232 Serial Null Modem Cable COM DB 9 Pin Lead

I?m about to order a 500c, I?ve read around and know it will be a clone but as I can?t see myself recording any TV the premium for the 600pvr doesn?t seem worth it?
My problem (admittedly a good problem) is I?ve got and sit close to a 46? HDTV (Samsung LE46M87BD), therefore SDTV looks very bad at the moment ? I?ve got an old Pace 4001 NTL box, i?m hoping the picture quality will be a lot better (I?m not expecting miracles but the pace box is very blocky)

Cheers

contact3av
23-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I cannot answer re the Vista software as I prefer not to use it, but the cable is correct (its what I use). Read through some of the posts in the forum as some people have one or two setup issues with the serial usb port. If you know how to setup your comm ports then it won't be an issue for you.

The picture quality from dreambox's is generally good, they offer RGB outputs as well as the less good CVBS. My neighbour has an Envision dreambox clone and he has no probs with his box/picture quality.

Unforunately sitting too close to large screen tv's can give you the impression that the picture is a little blurry.

Hope this helps