PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Speed

alanbk
01-07-2006, 10:22 PM
When I fire up firefox and log into the admin page of my Netopia router, the speed is reported as 2048/256. If I surf for a while and check the speed it can vary with readings like 1968/256 or 908/256. I have checked the physical phone connection to the router and as far as I can tell it is O.K. Is this normal i.e. that the speed is up to 2mb(as quoted by the ISP) and that the variation on the speed is down to the number of people using the service, or should the speed be always reported as 2048 mb? Sorry if this post is long winded, but I do not wish to have to re-do the cabling in the house. Thanks in advance.

berley
16-07-2006, 06:04 PM
yea its down to the numer of people using the service and also the contention ratio

IDNet | Broadband | Contention Ratio (http://www.idnet.net/broadband/contentionratio.jsp)

Declan
13-08-2006, 01:28 AM
also where you live i have 1mb but at most i get 135kbps which is like double dial up, fast but sucks

i live very close to the city center

saseagle
15-09-2006, 06:38 PM
With ADSL it depends on how close you are to the exchange. that is all the adverts I have seen say "upto Xmb" as the speed that you will get sometimes is far short of what you expect when you buy the contract. Contension is less of an issue on ADSL as you have a direct connection to the exchange, on cable you share a segment with other users in your area and if they are very active your connectio can ben bad. hope this helps.

baboon99
03-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Definatley a contention ratio thing........all depends how many are using the adsl in youe area......its used to be 50-1 on bt

The Heed