PDA

View Full Version : Electrical advice needed !!!

bmw
09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
I want to install a wall mounted electrical heater with cord on/off switch in the bathroom ! Can anyone help ??? The bathroom is tiled and the only electric going in the bathroom is the light switch - which is mounted on the wall !!!

dx100-uk
09-04-2008, 02:29 PM
you are not allowed to do it as its a new installation in a WET area

regardless to the age of the property.

see the 17th Edition regs or the P Regs.

this could invalidate you insurance if discovered.

dx

serviceagent007
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Since Part P came into place anybody not qualified is'nt allowed to work on the electrics in their own home, but as I see it, if your competent, fitting a heater in your bathroom should'nt be a problem. If you can get a copy of the ' On Site Guide' it will show you where in the bathroom you can leagaly fit it plus all other requirements needed to comply. If your lucky enough there might be a unused fuse on your main board which you could designate for the heater saving you alot of bother with the supply.
If you are doing it yourself try to use the older 2.5mm cable which is black and red as opposed to the new colours brown and blue, as this makes the instalation pre Part P and therefore not illegal to who may ever concern. But as I've said only attempt to do if you feel confident in your ability's.

paulw
12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
As far as im aware part p only relates to kitchens and bathroom, you can either take a new supply from your com board, or tap a fused spur (3-5amp) from the nearest socket,(sockets only not lights) but the fan must be hard wired in, there are also different zones in your bathroom, check on site guild,

dx100-uk
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
it is a new installation in a wet area , the bathroom. it needs to be certified to comply with p regs, there are no 'zones' it is a wet area! the op could do it themselves but there are legal and safety issues.

dx

paulw
12-04-2008, 12:13 PM
So have they got rid of zones? and call the hole thing a wet area, is this the same with swimming pools? what about the hight is that no-longer an issue?
:raining:

serviceagent007
12-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes, bathrooms still use the 4 zones, the ipx number on the heater will indicate which zone it could be sited in ie. probably has low ingress protection so only in zone 4.

dx100-uk
12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
i think we all seem to work in the trade or teach other here
my best bet would be for the op to make up thier own mind.

this site: DIY Electrical Works - is it Worth it, and how does Part P Affect Me? | Information and Web Site Links (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. explains things nicely, and can be drilled down through to the specific query

dx

squidge
19-10-2008, 02:21 AM
sorry to correct u guys but acording to the 17th edd regs part 7 special locations, there are two zones the first is basically the bath and the second 0.6m radius around it each at 2.25m high. outside these zones u can put anything u want as it should all be protected via an rcd so u could actually have a socket in the bathroom
so to answer youre question as long as its out of these two areas and protected by a suitable rcd (and only if as it will probably be wired to the 16th) you can fit your spur obviously u will have to get it certified as a minor works by a qualified electrician hope this was some help

p.s. with all due respect and i dont mean to offend, as to how i think it best to get a qualified electrician in, as mentioning the lighting kinda says u are not very competent and could set fire to your house !!!!

ScouseGit
03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Best thing to do pal , if your gonna do it yourself , is wire a spur to just outside the bathroom and then drill an 8mm hole to get you in to the bathroom at skirting board level , feed a length of 2.5mm butyl white flex through the hole attach a storage heater to the wall , terminate the cable at both ends , turn on the power and the storage heater will start charging .
local authorities are currently installing heating , so if you know any workers they may be able to help you .

revird
06-11-2008, 08:31 PM
hi m8 dont heat the bathroom,the wife and kids will spend all day in there.lol

bmw
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
:roflmao: LOL !!!