PDA

View Full Version : hellllllp

ticticboom
09-04-2008, 01:41 AM
hi guys i have a macbook which i got from fleabay, the guy who sold me it with no hdd i bought a new one formated it to hfs + with a windows program called macdrive but when i put it on i get a folder with a ? flashing so i take it its not finding the hdd or sumat am realy confused and need help i am a pc man but the macs stress me right out i press in the 'C' key when booting and it doesnt boot from cd why does macs have no f**88 bios :( help will be greatful hope theres a mac 'genius' out there :) br tictciboom

edit lol eveyone busy wih the boxes :P help this clueless macbook guy .

Cleanfoam
12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
You should be able to boot from the cd. Power it on holding the "option" key. That should let you boot from the cd. All you do then is install the OSX of your choice. Hope that helps (and that I'm right - my memory isn't what it should be)

ticticboom
14-04-2008, 01:56 AM
cheers mate for ur response i tried that and all that came up was just a cursor and a grey backround, any more ideas the disc i am running from is in dmg format

chmod-uk
18-04-2008, 04:13 PM
cheers mate for ur response i tried that and all that came up was just a cursor and a grey backround, any more ideas the disc i am running from is in dmg format

Did you get the OS disc with the macbook or one you've downloaded? Macs are very specific with versions of the OS, just make sure it's the exact one for your system.

jahilton2002
29-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Did you get the OS disc with the macbook or one you've downloaded? Macs are very specific with versions of the OS, just make sure it's the exact one for your system.

also make sure your using the right one for your cpu intel/g4/5 for example

FastJack42
29-05-2009, 10:45 PM
The question mark means that your mac can't find any operating system too boot from. To boot from some other drive you can either hold down the alt key (called "option key" in mac lingo) after the "ding" or just hold down the c key to boot from the cd/dvd drive.

You said that you tried to boot from a dmg. A dmg is a disk image that needs to be written to a dvd or disk or usb key. But not as a simple file! You need the mac's disk utility to write it to a medium. Now you basically have a chicken & egg problem here. To create a bootable medium from the dmg you need Mac OS X :)

If you know somebody with a mac you should ask them to create that medium for you.