PDA

View Full Version : Using Cable Wire As Satelite Wire

hardtarget
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a dish up and everything,
but in the room where i want my sky receiver i already have virgin media there,
could i cut the cable wire frm the outside and connect it to my Satelite dish?
or do i need to buy specific satelite cable?

will save alot of hassle like drilling an extra hole in the wall and etc.

dx100-uk
03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
typically they are they same stuff.
early [several years ago] they did use a cheaper cable.

but as a rule of thumb, you can use it.

dx

monster1
17-04-2008, 02:46 AM
yes there's no harm in using the same wire it will save you lot of work and money there not much diffrence in the wires.

satmania
17-04-2008, 08:37 PM
using a cable coax or telepest coax from of technician is very good for sat will carry good signal .

pgachamp
10-08-2008, 06:32 PM
RG-59 or 60 will work.
75 Ohms coax cable is what you need.

beefy007
27-11-2008, 07:55 PM
cable wire is ok....sometimes has a waterproof gel inside a pain to strip back without a decent cable cutter,just make sure you amalgamate the join in the cable the best is two f plugs and a female coupler...wrapped in amalgamation tape...or gaffer tape(poor mans waterproof tape!).
ct100 is the best stuff for satelitte or any digital type installs...but as a previous post rg59 will work but not on longer runs!

maoo
13-04-2009, 02:35 AM
ct100 is the best stuff for satelitte or any digital type installs...but as a previous post rg59 will work but not on longer runs!

Nonsense! I used to install for a living, at over ?100 a 250 meter roll ct100 is a rippoff, the rg stuff I got off the cable guys for ?20 a 250 meter roll was all I ever used (that and the really, really ****ty stuff down the local suppliers for like ?10 a 100meter roll, only when I had no cable stuff left, even that was almost as good as ct100, but much less in cost). Plus the waterproofing glue stuff in some the rolls I got were a headache, but it did offer protection from the rain if the outter cover had been broken over time.

I have had a few jobs with runs at 100 meters and over with the above stuff and had no issues with signal strength or quality. I would take a reading with my sat meter at the dish, memorise the reading, then after the install, take one at the box end, guess what? Always the signal was virtually the same, maybe some very small deterioration, but nothing to be noticeable from the original reading at the dish.

End of the day, the cables are made of the same stuff, copper! What is wrapped around the copper is just gimmick, as long as it stops outside inteference, that is all that it needs to do. Purity in the copper used tends to vary minutely, so any copper core cable can be used for Sky, you could even use electrical wire if you was mad enough lol. But in theory it is still useable :P.

End of the day, people recommend ct100, because there is more money to be made from selling it over the other cheap and just as effective stuff, the Sky engis swear to it, because it is free for them off Sky and they have never used anything else, so just bought into the propeganda, that is, if Sky recommend it, it is the best. Only Sky get it dirt cheap cos they buy in massive bulk, also they probly get more off for promoting it as the recommended wire that any subbies and their Sky business partner companies have to use lol.

Sorry for a long post lol, but hopefully you will find it interesting and helpful guys and girls.

dx100-uk
13-04-2009, 12:08 PM
End of the day, the cables are made of the same stuff, copper! What is wrapped around the copper is just gimmick, as long as it stops outside inteference, that is all that it needs to do. Purity in the copper used tends to vary minutely, so any copper core cable can be used for Sky, you could even use electrical wire if you was mad enough lol. But in theory it is still useable :P

impedence/velocity factor/db loss/frequency response etc are very important &
as 'what is wrapped around the outside'!- make hell of a diff to all three.:kungfu:

you won't get stuff all from an lnb down 100ft of rg59 using a small dish.

it's not wise to make such sweeping statement:)]

you and i might know a bit about it all, but newbies won't and will take the comments too literally:thumbup2:

dx

maoo
18-04-2009, 01:59 AM
you and i might know a bit about it all, but newbies won't and will take the comments too literally:thumbup2:
dx

Hey I would love a newbie looking to run a extra wire to his bedroom at 30 meters or so, to take my advice literally, would save him a heck of a lot of money lol.

Only thing I can see crappy wire makeing a difference on long runs is HD. Given 90% odd of current Sky users are on digital regualr or Sky+ boxes, makes little difference lol :P

dx100-uk
18-04-2009, 02:16 AM
HD is only a higher kbs at a given freq, if the coax loss/contruction is such that it is not capable of carrying that freq over such a long run in the first place, that blows your theory out the water.

you need to revisit your understanding of transmission theory, what a 'wire' is wrapped in and insulted by, makes a hell of a diff to its freq response and subsequent velocity factor

dx

maxbadger
25-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't get the implied RF difference between SD and HD. In the case of DVB-S or DVB-S2 the RF feeder shall be presenting a chunk of spectrum defined by the tuner / DiSeqC config. The contents of this spectrum are a don't care until passed to the demodulator - the BW is the same. Therefore the transmission line if good for SD shall also be good for HD.
I'm thinking the analogue BW of a DVB-S or DVB-S2 transmission should also be comparable? Given the resultant bitrate once demodulated could be higher with -S2, this is through symbol rate and modulation improvements Vs additional analogue BW.

The 75R coax if installed for either cable or sat should be typically CT100 (ish) spec, making it good for use with either. heh, that spec is badly abused though, so always worth making your own mind up based on weight of braid, copper screen etc.