PDA

View Full Version : Free Sat and Digital

Satsearching
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Now, Spring is almost upon us and I would have betted my teeth on the big thing this year would be Freesat (not S+y).

Freeview (terestial) appears to be taking off big time now, but with limited bandwidth. Freesat with greater bandwidth planned for launch this spring has the potential to be massive.

But where is this Freesat service?

Link --> freesat - the new free HD digital satellite TV service from the BBC & ITV (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Is this going to be another BSB but fail before even taking off?

No updates on the official site and no awareness adds for the general public.....

I have just read that DAB radio is struggling after GCap has announced several of it's stations are closing and channel 4 are having a re-think of it's plans after buying a DAB multiplex in July last year.

Is widespread Digital Broadcasting too much too soon?

I thought I was ready for digital, but is digital not ready for me?

SS

DessertDog
02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
This may be the one that was being hyped a few months ago it will be for sale in the likes of cuurys,dixons,comet etc you will pay a one off fee for sat ,box and installation then you will receive free HiDef from the sat totally free of charge but im sure sky have some hold on this .

little_pob
03-04-2008, 02:34 PM
This may be the one that was being hyped a few months ago it will be for sale in the likes of cuurys,dixons,comet etc you will pay a one off fee for sat ,box and installation then you will receive free HiDef from the sat totally free of charge but im sure sky have some hold on this. No channel 4 until Autumn when their contract with Sly ends, so perhaps its on hold until then?

But also no five, five US etc, and iirc there is still quite a length on their contract.

Satsearching
03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Thats my point, March, April and May are regarded as the spring months but no updates on the freesat website for quite some time now.

I wonder if s^y are somehow getting involved behind the scenes and stopping it dead in the water? This could be a cracking service but nothing appears to be happening?

SS

little_pob
04-04-2008, 08:49 AM
You mean they're might be using the shares they have in ITV to hinder a rival service being launched (Freesat being a joint venture between ITV and BBC)... That doesn't sound like Sly ;)

The only other ways I can see Spy being involved is that its running off the same sat - though I'm not sure who owns it. Perhaps they've managed to convince (some of) the high street chains to drop freesat in favour of some incentive for Sty packages (higher commission, discounted packages for staff etc).

Satsearching
24-04-2008, 04:45 PM
The official website for freesat still gives no new info! But here is a bit of info from Freesat News & Information, Public Service Satellite (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The BBC has confirmed, that the launch date for Freesat is expected to be Monday 5th May through those retailers appointed by the platform.
Updates will occur on the official site within the next week or so. They have however suggested that whilst the 5th is the date they are aiming for, if the service is not ready, or if there is still issues to overcome, they have no problem delaying the service further.
Information has been scarce from Freesat, even their own website has no official launch date posted as yet. Further delay could be damaging for the new platform, and may even cause frustrated viewers to use Sky's rival Freesat from Sky offering.

SS