PDA

View Full Version : PS3 - Cooling fan

aliaziz
23-03-2008, 11:08 PM
I have bought a PS3 and every now and then fan starts spinning faster - as if a planes taking off? Does it need extra cooling - will it effect its performance at all?

pande_monium
26-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I have bought a PS3 and every now and then fan starts spinning faster - as if a planes taking off? Does it need extra cooling - will it effect its performance at all?

Normally, leave at least 1-2 inches all around the cooling ducts/vents where the fan is situated (in case of the PS3, on the top, bottom & right side - if I recall correctly).

Also, it is normal for the fan to kick off when the temperature goes past a certain threshold (for argument's sake, say 40 deg) and continue till temperature falls below an acceptable threshold (say 28 deg).

Normally, the PS3 doesn't require any additional cooling, unless you're a very heavy gamer (6+ hrs)... in which case there are cooling options that you can exercise. But, the very first and the simplest rule is to leave at least 2 inches around the PS3 for proper cooling.

I've played constantly for about 7-8 hours on my 60Gb PS3 and have never had the 'plane take off' situation or cooling problems (typical symptoms would be freezing or hanging of the game in mid-sequence).