PDA

View Full Version : The Big Changeover

akkie
21-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Ok guys here goes ive got four tv,s in my house One In living room and the rest in bedrooms..ive got a durabrand freeview box from asda and also a pace sat/sky box...what would I need to be able to be ready for this switchover or am I needing to buy four new tvs`s

Satsearching
21-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Ok guys here goes ive got four tv,s in my house One In living room and the rest in bedrooms..ive got a durabrand freeview box from asda and also a pace sat/sky box...what would I need to be able to be ready for this switchover or am I needing to buy four new tvs`s

Tell us a little more about your setup, are both the freeview and sky box on the telly downstairs?

The tellys upstairs, are they portables using a loop wire antenna or are they connected to a roof antenna?

SS

akkie
21-03-2008, 03:00 PM
yes both the freeview and sat are downstairs, my outside antenna goes into my sky and it all goes out into a multiple booster antenna to send to the other tv,s upstairs.

berley
21-03-2008, 03:15 PM
if your already viewing tv through sat or freeview then your fine as your already receiving a digital signal

Satsearching
21-03-2008, 03:21 PM
yes both the freeview and sat are downstairs, my outside antenna goes into my sky and it all goes out into a multiple booster antenna to send to the other tv,s upstairs.

Ok, I am assuming when you say "The Big Changeover" we are talking about the terestial changeover to digital. As you have a terestial freeview box downstairs you are sorted sorted for that telly.

As for the tellys upstairs, two choices. BUT check if they have scart sockets as older TV's may not have one!

1. Buy 4 freeview boxes for them, it appears your antenna system should be ok as it is. if space is an issue you can even get tiny freeview adaptors now that are part of a scart plug so sit in the scart at the back of the TV.

2. Give it a few months and wait for the new "Freesat" service to launch, This is NOT Sky but still transmitting from the same orbital position as sky. You could then buy 4 sat boxes and fit your current dish with a quad or octal ouput LNB to feed the extra boxes all from 1 dish, but will require some cable runs.

Have a look at the freesat site freesat - the new free HD digital satellite TV service from the BBC & ITV (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Details are a little sketchy at the moment but it does have the potential to be a great service if they do it properly.

SS

Satsearching
21-03-2008, 03:35 PM
if your already viewing tv through sat or freeview then your fine as your already receiving a digital signal

True, if he is happy with all 4 upstairs tellys on the same sky channel at the same time through his Sky Box.

I don't think the durabrand freeview box has an RF modulator so this won't get piped into the coax going to his upstairs tellys.

More info needed, IE do you want all 4 upstairs to be independant and capable of viewing different channels at the same time?

SS

akkie
21-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Well thanks for the info guys...I suppose if I have these 2 options it,ll give me the ption to change the lnb outside..but for the moment im just glad it,ll work after tha change.

thanks

akkie

dx100-uk
22-03-2008, 03:07 AM

i think you have the wrong idea here about what this switchover actually means.:-a

it will not affect anything on your sat receiver at all, neither will it affect freeview.
and the fact that you have analogue tv's connected to these wont matter either.

the only thing that it will do, is not allow you to receive broadcast analogue terrestrial free-to-air tv stations, ie, if you plug the coax from an aerial on your roof into the UHF connector socket on the back of any [bar ones with a built-in freeview tuner] TV or vcr or dvd recorder, you will get stuff all.

dx

maxbadger
25-05-2009, 07:12 PM
A transmodulator to provide n channels of DVB origin towards analogue may be an option also?