PDA

View Full Version : installing xp pro on a new hdd

Magnu420
05-03-2008, 11:55 AM
ok after having a problem here >>>>http://world-of-digital.com/forums/f36/hdd-password-22915.html

decided to get another hdd,but how do i go about installing xp pro back on
the lappy is a toshiba p2000 and it dosnt have a floppy drive nor does it have
an internal cdrom drive only pcimia ??? slots and usb ports,will the new hdd need
f-diskin before prior to installing xp pro or is they another way of doing it
the lappy is a toshiba portege p2000 ultra slim type the hdd is 1.8'' not the 2.5''
what you get in normal lappys

thanks

Sicilian
05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
U will need an external cdrom of somekind. Think i've seen usb to ide adapters on fleabay that come with powerpacks to run the cdrom. There is a way of installing via a bootable usb stick, but i never managed to get it to work. lol Easiest way it have an external cdrom, boot from cdrom & follow instructions from xp disk.

dx100-uk
05-03-2008, 08:48 PM
or get a converter to put the hdd on your pc as a slave drive.
then copy the contents of the xp disc to it.
then make it bootable .
pop it back inthe lappy and away you got,

thats the way we do it with 2500+ lappies that change users regularly .
we take the old hdd out and stick in one from the shelf
that way we can ensure nodata is transfered between users old or new

dx

Speedy2206
05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
If you have an ethernet port then you can install XP over a network. To do that you will need a copy of Windows Server (preferably 2003) set up in a virtual machine on an existing computer. Look up "Remote Installation Services" on Google.

You can download Server 2003 if you know where, or you can even order a free EVALUATION 180 DAY version from Microsoft direct (fully legit!) but it takes a few days to be delivered.

All you'd then need to do is tell your lappy to boot over the network (PXE) in the BIOS.

Magnu420
06-03-2008, 12:13 AM
nice one guys fancy a bit of a challenge i might go along with speedys way
sounds intresting...just waiting for the hdd coming will let you know how i get on
just reading about remote instalation atm

Magnu420
15-03-2008, 04:40 AM
If you have an ethernet port then you can install XP over a network. To do that you will need a copy of Windows Server (preferably 2003) set up in a virtual machine on an existing computer. Look up "Remote Installation Services" on Google.

You can download Server 2003 if you know where, or you can even order a free EVALUATION 180 DAY version from Microsoft direct (fully legit!) but it takes a few days to be delivered.

All you'd then need to do is tell your lappy to boot over the network (PXE) in the BIOS.

@ speedy.. the vm has it to be a server or a workstation, so i can put windows server 2003 on it