PDA

View Full Version : Hd Dvd

Silvia
30-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Which version of disk is going to win the war?

davie
03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Sony seem to be forcing bluray on people by using it in the ps3 but who knows, time will tell.

Shipoftheline
03-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Sony seem to be forcing bluray on people by using it in the ps3 but who knows, time will tell.

Yes its back to the VHS vs Betamax thing. Sony on one side and Microsoft on the other. Sony are using Blueray as a major selling point of the PS3 but at 550 I dont think so. We know now that Microsoft will be launching a HD DVD addon for the 360 and because its not too much different from the original DVD standard I'd imagine costs will be cheaper (This being a major selling point)

Collider
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes its back to the VHS vs Betamax thing. Sony on one side and Microsoft on the other. Sony are using Blueray as a major selling point of the PS3 but at 550 I dont think so. We know now that Microsoft will be launching a HD DVD addon for the 360 and because its not too much different from the original DVD standard I'd imagine costs will be cheaper (This being a major selling point)
Going to put my neck out and say HD-DVD for me,as shipoftheline mentioned they are easier to integrate into todays technology.
Even with sony being behind the blu ray discs and the rise of the ps2 i dont think it will take off,probably be like the umd discs for psp,all hype and no weight.

satdoc
11-08-2006, 07:20 PM
The battle between HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc technology is hotting up and experts are predicting that it could now end in stalemate.they are going to have to make a player/recorder that plays both. HD DVD only 15gb and Blu-ray 25gb. Just a question of space quality on HD DVD is better.

jacknife
12-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Who needs 25gb space on a disc!! Quality has to be the deciding factor so it would make sense for HD-DVD to triumph.

However, history shows us that VHS won over the superior Betamax technology(which the professionals stayed with). So I'm not hopeful.

ssmacc
15-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I thought ‘bluray’ was the most advanced of the two? Can hold more and the layer that’s read is deeper in the disc (opening up the possibility of even more layers – more space) and makes the layer harder to damage?
I do know the technologies are incompatible so it’s a true war! (There won’t be a +/- equivalent)

Shipoftheline
15-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Who needs 25gb space on a disc!! Quality has to be the deciding factor so it would make sense for HD-DVD to triumph.
However, history shows us that VHS won over the superior Betamax technology(which the professionals stayed with). So I'm not hopeful.

Doubt you'll see better quality think they chose to stay with MPEG2

pinkerton
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm convinced Blu Ray will win, because:

PS3
Pre recorded discs are cheaper.
Burners are already available, although expensive.
Extra disc space.
To create a HD DVD disc will take longer for you and me as encoding to HD H.264 is slow.

Blert
09-10-2006, 12:17 PM
It might come down to something as simple as all the new TV's saying HD Ready on them, rather than BluRay ready.