PDA

View Full Version : [Question]Booting Kernel off Network

NeilJay
19-02-2008, 06:45 PM
OK, I've decided i might get involved in actually doing some development work for the dbox2, I have setup my linux server to bootstrap the dbox using the CDK
it all works fine except for one little wrinkle which is annoying me.

My box will only boot via bootp if I attach the serial cable then halt the bootloader during boot and then manually type 'boot' at the prompt. If i dont do this step, the bootloader timesout almost instantly after issuing the BOOTP REQUEST and boots from flash instead.

My Server is running Ubuntu 7 (fiesty i think) using dchp3-server.

Anybody else seen this - its annoying having a serial lead hanging out my box!!

Cheers

Neil

nj2006
19-02-2008, 07:06 PM
nice first post! welcome to wod m8, its really refreshing to hear there are still people intrested in development of the dbox.

i dont use yadds in development and never tryed it although it would be a more intresting concept to updating my boxes around the house.

i always thought or assumed that the booting and coneccting to the box was done via the set up of the box.

and i also wasnt aware for the need of a null cable (i wouldnt't want one hanging out either)

im going to move your post to the public development section of this forum maybe sombody can enlighten us both on this subject.

maybe because your have already showed your intrest in development we can help you get going. we have plenty of small projects that we could do with getting off the ground and we are alway looking for a fresh approuch on current addons and features.

FreddyFr0g
19-02-2008, 07:37 PM
definately doesn't need a serial cable.
All you need is the nfs server, dhcp and atftpd properly set.
Can you post the last few lines of your system/log so that we can have a look?

Another thing to try is to completely remove the power socket before booting... one of my box always boot from flash if I just reboot... when the other will reboot from network (providing that dhcp is turned on!) doing exactly the same thing!

NeilJay
19-02-2008, 10:33 PM
@NJ2006: Im thinking of adding Picture and then Video (might be a bit optimistic) to the uPnP browser/player in neutrino, but if people have other projects that need effort let me know, I like PT-1's challenge of adding Red Button Support.

@Freddy: The G/F is watching the box at the mo so I cant try the power cycling suggestion will give it a go tho as generally i just reboot, the server is all setup ok, it might be that autonegotiation is taking too long on the ethernet port ( im plugged into a GbE switch ), its not a major issue.

Cheers

Neil

pt-1
20-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Hello NeilJay

the Picture support in Upnp would be very interesting ;-)

The RedButton is a bit more optimistic as you already sussed..

Some test's were done over at Cable Ferret but the Forum is lost so all the discussions with it to.

NeilJay
22-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Quick Update, It appears a cold boot works cheers Freddy!