PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new Phone - Either N95 8GB or N96

Not_much_cop
18-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Looking to get a new phone this week.
Had my eye on a Nokia N95 8GB, but went on a web search today and they now make a N96, with 16GB internal memory.

Anyone ever had either of these 2 phones? I currently have a Sony Ericsson P990i PDA type phone. I really want the new phone to do Sat Nav, which both the N95 and N96 are capable of as they both have built in GPS, but haven't used a nokia phone for the past 5 years, as I have preferred the Sony to Nokia and they are better made and better quality, but none of the Sony phones have GPS built in and the GPS modules that plug in to them are quite expensive, as is the sat nav software.

The major advantage that I can see of the N96 over the N95 is that it has twice the internal memory and also has a slot to add up to 8Gb micro card.

Any advice etc will be very much appreciated.
NMC

Shipoftheline
18-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I was going to get the N95 but the battery life was poor and the camera images were poor. I went with the N73 in the end and got a 1GB memory card for it. The battery life is excellent and the images are much better than the N95 even though the N95 has the better camera (3.2mb vs 5mb). The mistake they made with the N95 is they compressed the images too much so they come out poor quality

Not_much_cop
18-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Cheers for that Ship. I will keep it in mind, however I don't use the camera function very often so would not be too much of a loss. I really want it for the Sat nav function and playing a few tunes.

Shipoftheline
18-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Cheers for that Ship. I will keep it in mind, however I don't use the camera function very often so would not be too much of a loss. I really want it for the Sat nav function and playing a few tunes.

Not_much_cop the N73 has Sat nav and has the same sized screen. As for tunes well I got my Kingston 1GB Mini SD card for about ?6.

I'm not sure about the N96 but I'd stay clear from the N95

krazylegz
21-02-2008, 02:36 PM
well i've got a N95 and it's spot on. camera pictures are spot on and very clear,it has **** loads of features and sat nav works well with the built in gps using either route66 or garmin that i posted on here.

i got a 2gig card for ten quid from Mini SD Cards : Micro SD Card : SD Memory Cards : Memory Stick : Micro M2 Cards from MemoryBits - The one stop memory flash shop (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. so plenty of space for tunes.

not sure about the N96 but it doesnt look as nice as 95 sort of looks too long to me

ticticboom
24-02-2008, 03:46 AM
the n95 is a beast of a handset if u get one the black 8gb one is sweet has spiderman 3 movie preloaded on it, the n81 is a nice phone also, but u know when u think u get the right one a better one will come out a few months later.

Magnu420
24-02-2008, 04:51 AM
ive got the new 8gig n95 ive had for a month now not had any problems it came with
the full version of spiderman3 film,i got garmin sat/nav posted by krazylegs on with
nps a decent camara on it 5 mega pixels,got it connected to me lan network so it dont
cost me owt for the net lol,got a few more projects lined up like remoting to me main pc
etc etc

i hope this helps....

Not_much_cop
24-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your comments.
I was all set to get the n96 but none of the phone shops seem to have them yet, some haven't even herad of it yet, so it is still too new.....lol

As for the N95 8gb, all but 1 of the phone shops said to avoid it if all I want from it is the Sat Nav on top of the usual phone functions as I would be better off getting a dedicated Sat Nav.

So bearing all that in mind and a few other things, I ended up getting another phone, a Nokia 6500 Slide in Black. Not the best phone on the market or the most functions etc but does all that I want, except Sat Nav......lol

Phones are like computers etc, as sson as you have spent all the time researching them etc and decided on which one to get and then actually get it, a newer/better one will be available within the week. You will awalys be playing catch-up with technology, especially when they always try to get you to sign 18 month contracts instead of the usual 12.

Oh, well. Such is life.
I have got 14 days to take the phone back if I do not like it.....lol

Shipoftheline
24-02-2008, 11:34 AM
As for the N95 8gb, all but 1 of the phone shops said to avoid it

Told ya ;)

pipehose
09-05-2008, 02:33 PM
we bit off topic here but whats the biggest sd card i can put in the NON 8GB IE THE EARLIER nokia n95

5 Inch
13-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Just gotta say the n95 8gb walks all over n73 in every possible way, how can you say otherwise?