PDA

View Full Version : Where next for national identity?

hibsbollah
29-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Scotland tennis star Andy Murray has received hate mail on his website for failing to support England at the World Cup.

First Minister Jack McConnell was criticised for not cheering on Sven's men as the World Cup re-ignited debate on national identity and how people nail their colours to the mast.

Should other British nations be expected to support England? Would Brazilians support Argentina if they got to the final? Would Spaniards support Portugal?

Should people feel obliged to support their neighbours under any circumstances?

And the big question is why now' why has the national identity thing raised its head now' when did Scotland support England at anything they did and the same applies to England supporting Scotland this seems to be a big issue these days.

Devilfish
29-06-2006, 05:59 PM
This whole thing is a load of BS! You support your own country and that's that! If some people want to support more than one, then that's fine. As you say, you don't get Germans supporting the Dutch do you! I'm Scottish and support Scotland...no-one else. I don't support England because I'm Scottish, not for any other reason.

I can't remember any time where Scotland has brought it up saying that England should support Scotland but we hear it every year for the reverse.

I think this is a topic best left alone because everyone is going to have different views and it always gets heated! But hey, it's a forum and this is what we do!

So :fence:

hibsbollah
29-06-2006, 06:23 PM
You make a valid point devilfish' I’m just asking why now what has happened to ask the national identity Question' Like the rest of use I have read how some Scottish tw@ts have attacked some English supporters for wearing there football tops and let me make this clear I have no time for the people who do this they should be put down for the cowards they are. But it seems that every time I turn the TV on this question keeps coming up 15 years as a guide at Edinburgh Castle It was the norm not to support England and when the Welsh and Irish fans come up to Scotland they to never supported England at anything but its only Scotland that’s getting the hassle.

sullly
29-06-2006, 06:35 PM
and the hatemail relates to the dunblane shooting's , where murray was an 8 yr old pupil at the time ,

shocking , (:|

badboyoflaw
30-06-2006, 08:21 AM
The parallels with neighbouring countries given above are entirely different from the Scotland/England dilemma. Both the Scots and English share the same nationality: British. In this way, the question is not as simple as those above suggest. I agree that Brazilians are not Argentines, and the Germans are not Dutch and therefore supporting eachother seems strange. However the English are British and the Scots are British.

nss1888
30-06-2006, 08:56 AM
It's about respect.

Respecting peoples choices, I for one consider myself Scottish not British. Now because I consider myself Scottish and not British doesn't mean I hate the English people. It just means I consider myself seperate from them.

The argument of weather or not I support England in the World Cup cos I'm "British" becomes an irellivant argument because I consider myself Scottish...

So Andy Murray and Jack McConnell have stated they won't be supporting England. So what! this is their opinion and as far as I was led to believe we are allowed to have our opions and not to be fecked over in the press for providing an honest answer to a question.

badboyoflaw
30-06-2006, 10:43 AM
You can consider yourself in whatever way you want, I also consider myself Scottish (and British). However, the distinction is simple, unlike Germany and Holland, or Brazil and Argentina, Scotland and England are a nation state and have common nationality and all that comes with that (welfare state, taxation, legal systems etc even post devolution). Therefore, arguments that other neighbouring countries would never support eachother are not valid in the Scotland/England context. This much is clear. However, despite nationality, whether a Scot chooses to support the England football team is still up to them. The reason the papers attack Sccots not supporting England is that they are more than just "neighbours" for the aforementioned reasons.

sullly
30-06-2006, 09:13 PM
am the same m8 . i aint british , too many bad things associated with being british ,

im scottish m8 ,

Shipoftheline
30-06-2006, 09:16 PM
I think allot of views & opinions have changed since this world cup

Scotster
30-06-2006, 10:06 PM
What makes you say that?

I'm scottish through and through. I will never support england the same as i will never support any other team.

The real question here isn't why aren't the scottish/welsh/irish supporting england, the real question is why do the scottish/welsh/irish like to see england getting beat. Its nothing to do with supporting the team playing england its got to do with wanting them to get beat.

The answer to that is very simple and its down to the media not the English people although a small minority of supporters do ruin it and are given a lot of bad press.

It happens every time the world cup comes along. The people who know nothing about football and who don't actually follow their national team, until the world cup comes along, start shouting about how england are "going to win the world cup this year". Now i'm not saying that they won't or that they can't, my argument is that its unlikely, but these people seem to be missinformed that england just need to turn up to win it. For this reason and this reason only we like to see them get beat to teach the pretentious supporters amoung you a lesson. I don't mind realistic optimism but "england are going to win the world cup" before the first match has kicked off is going a little ott. Its the exact same every four years, well it has been as long as i remember.

I could talk about this all day and i have tried to watch what i have said so i hope i haven't offended anyone. Its hard to say what you are thinking on a forum without giving people the wrong idea of what you are saying or thinking so if anyone is offended i apologise, it is however my opinion and i am entitled to it.

Cheers

Scott =op

Scotster
30-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I just remembered an example i have. If you are really interested whether i am telling the truth or not you will probably be able to find out with the aid of a religious English fan.

As the whistle blew to sound the kick off of the first English match, the English commentator (most famous one, sorry don't know his name) said, and i quote, "And here we start the world cup"...... Did they forget that Germany are the hosts and kicked off the game?? Or the cracking match between Ecuador and Poland?

Thats just the tip of the iceberg but it sums up the ego trip that the media hang over the English support.

Scott =op

Lainie
30-06-2006, 10:20 PM
i wont support england any more than i would wales, france,etc etc. nothing personal against any of them but im allowed to choose who i want to support and not be critisised for it.i abhor violence against anyone, i'm scottish and bloomin proud of it.

no offence meant anyone -be who you are

hibsbollah
01-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Your national identity is the one thing in life that know one can take away from you' People like Jack McConnell and Andy Murray who are getting flak for not supporting England is a nonsense. If Tourist don’t want to come to Scotland or businessmen don’t want to do business with us because we won’t support England in the world cup’ I think it says more about them and there petty attitudes than it says about the people from Scotland.