PDA

View Full Version : iPhone

Superfocus121
03-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Personally I think the iPhone, is probably the best gadget of last year. Not so good on the cameara but great mp3 player and organiser.

Hunter
03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
it would have been a better seller if you could have tom tom working on it:fence:

little_pob
03-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd much rather have the HTC Touch Cruise. With already having an iPod its got more features I'd use and runs on windows mobile...

jaysta07
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I love my iPhone.

The only thing i wish is that it had video recording on it and better file structure. Other then that i think its really good.

romeospadre
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Thinking about buying one off fleabay - any advice. i know the firmware i should be looking for is 1.1.3 - i dont want to spend 350 and the phone to be bricked - should i go for it???

thanks

pande_monium
07-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Thinking about buying one off fleabay - any advice. i know the firmware i should be looking for is 1.1.3 - i dont want to spend 350 and the phone to be bricked - should i go for it???

thanks

Let me get this right... you want to spend ?350 and buy it from Ebay... Tell you what... I'll sell you one for ?300 + postage... unlocked to any O2 simm card... how's that?

DUDE !! just go and buy one from Carphone warehouse and unlock it !! Its darned simple !

And no... don't go for the 1.1.3 firmware version yet... go for the 1.1.2 version. Because, it comes with bootloader version 3.9 and which is ******** (but the software unlock will come out on 29th Feb when Apple release the SDK + Firmware upgrade).

The only thing i wish is that it had better file structure.
You can use the iFinder... same as the Finder on a Mac... really nifty. Is yours jailbreaked? If so, just install it using the Installer...

it would have been a better seller if you could have tom tom working on it
True... as an alternative, it does have non-GPS routing tools like Google Maps & Navizone GPS tools which are based on mobile cell co-ordinates mapping... which at this moment isn't all that great... but considering the fact that they're a Work-In-Progress, I'm sure they'll get much better in the upcoming firmware upgrades.

romeospadre
07-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the reply - if i buy one from carphone warehouse then it would be on a contract?? i just one to work with my payg sim - not ties down to the ?35.00 for 18 months :-[

jaysta07
08-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the reply - if i buy one from carphone warehouse then it would be on a contract?? i just one to work with my payg sim - not ties down to the ?35.00 for 18 months :-[

Yer it will be on contract, buy it from apple or something and unlock it lol

....To pande_monium, yer it is jailbroken, i just may have a look at that, i wish that also that u cud use the bluetooth more i.e send photos and stuff...mayb something for the future aye apple

pande_monium
08-02-2008, 11:00 PM

The contract doesn't start till you connect the phone to iTunes on your PC/Mac to activate it. Till that time, the phone will be deactivated. In order to make the non-contract O2 simm work, you'll need to force activation by 'jailbreaking' the phone. Just make sure that the phone is not 1.1.3 firmware version.

At CPW, you just pay the ?270 for the phone and sign a declaration that if you don't sign up within 7 days, CPW will not be responsible for anything... (or something similar!).

Yer it will be on contract, buy it from apple or something and unlock it lol

....To pande_monium, yer it is jailbroken, i just may have a look at that, i wish that also that u cud use the bluetooth more i.e send photos and stuff...mayb something for the future aye apple

No, it won't be on contract... at least not till its activated via iTunes. CPW cannot force activation at their shop.

I know what you mean... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a much easier OOB option. But, you can still send files using one of the Installer apps... can't recall which one it is. Will take a look and let you know.

romeospadre
10-02-2008, 12:05 AM
The contract doesn't start till you connect the phone to iTunes on your PC/Mac to activate it. Till that time, the phone will be deactivated. In order to make the non-contract O2 simm work, you'll need to force activation by 'jailbreaking' the phone. Just make sure that the phone is not 1.1.3 firmware version.

At CPW, you just pay the ?270 for the phone and sign a declaration that if you don't sign up within 7 days, CPW will not be responsible for anything... (or something similar!).

No, it won't be on contract... at least not till its activated via iTunes. CPW cannot force activation at their shop.

I know what you mean... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a much easier OOB option. But, you can still send files using one of the Installer apps... can't recall which one it is. Will take a look and let you know.

I can't belive that if i brought a apple iphone from carphone warehouse that they would take my bank details to take out contract payments , has anyone brought a iphone and not making monthly payments???

I don't understand from what u wrote about needing to activate contract through itunes - this would surley mean you can't get away from the contact as the iphone must be useless without itunes ?

Gazer
17-02-2008, 12:07 PM
I can't belive that if i brought a apple iphone from carphone warehouse that they would take my bank details to take out contract payments , has anyone brought a iphone and not making monthly payments???

I don't understand from what u wrote about needing to activate contract through itunes - this would surley mean you can't get away from the contact as the iphone must be useless without itunes ?

well i got one from the 02 shop on friday afternoon and all i did was pay ?329 for the phone and walked out ....... and got 14 days to take it back.......not 100% if i will keep it, as looking at it and the n95 iv got ....think the n95 is better......at the moment that is ;)

pande_monium
17-02-2008, 11:09 PM

The way the Apple/O2 contract works is that you buy the iPhone from a CPW or Apple shop or from the Apple website. Then you go home and connect the iPhone to iTunes to "Activate" it. iTunes will then ask you to enter your details, including your card details and bank a/c details. Then it sends this info to Apple (who maintains a database of all the IMEI numbers from all valid/initiated contracts). They set up the contract between you and O2.

I believe, if you go to the O2 shop or website, they make you sign the contract there itself. So, its best to go to CPW or Apple.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query. Hope this helps answer your questions.

romeospadre
29-02-2008, 09:17 PM
The way the Apple/O2 contract works is that you buy the iPhone from a CPW or Apple shop or from the Apple website. Then you go home and connect the iPhone to iTunes to "Activate" it. iTunes will then ask you to enter your details, including your card details and bank a/c details. Then it sends this info to Apple (who maintains a database of all the IMEI numbers from all valid/initiated contracts). They set up the contract between you and O2.

I believe, if you go to the O2 shop or website, they make you sign the contract there itself. So, its best to go to CPW or Apple.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query. Hope this helps answer your questions.

Hi pande_monium ,
need your help again. installed a few apps through the installer and now can't find the installer app - lol . can't scroll for it. suggestion on the net say upgrade to 1.1.3 but i have used the ziphone you recommended and that has unlocked me to 1.1.2 - need your help buddie. thanks

alrightythen1
01-03-2008, 12:09 AM
i like a lot of things about the iphone,but the main thing that i don`t like about it is that is just too big

pande_monium
03-03-2008, 12:48 AM
i like a lot of things about the iphone,but the main thing that i don`t like about it is that is just too big

I think this would be a personal & subjective decision for everybody. I actually find it's shape and size just perfect. Having said this, I loved my P900 to bits for its shape/size/weight as well.

------------------------------------------

@Hunter - I've put the answer from my other thread here... soz you can delete that thread entirely. I'm sorry about the dual post. My apologies.

@Romeo - Humble apologies, my friend. I just logged on today to find your message.

Ziphone will unlock even the 1.1.4 version. If you're in a bit of a fix, then just connect to iTunes and upgrade to 1.1.4. Once done, jailbreak and unlock it using Ziphone 2.5 (latest). This will install Installer.app for you again.

If you cannot 'see' Installer.app then it might be because you may have either uninstalled it or 'hidden' it using 'Poof' or a similar app.

The jailbreaking process actually installs the Installer.app application for you after opening up the iPhone for you. If you don't have it, its easiest to upgrade or restore to factory settings & jailbreak using Ziphone.

iClarified's latest Ziphone tutorial & downloads are here (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Once again, my apologies in the delay in responding to your question... I hope I wasn't too late.

gus
04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
not to change the subject but have you seen the iphone clone, its called cect there are different models, the one I had is the p168 it looks like an iphone and has similar features and they are selling on ebay all the time for like ?60.
The one I had once I inserted a 2gb msd card in it you can store shed loads of pictures, video and mp3 and it allows you to use 2 seperate sim cards.
very clever phone especially for a fraction of the cost of an iphone.

romeospadre
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I think this would be a personal & subjective decision for everybody. I actually find it's shape and size just perfect. Having said this, I loved my P900 to bits for its shape/size/weight as well.
------------------------------------------
@Hunter - I've put the answer from my other thread here... soz you can delete that thread entirely. I'm sorry about the dual post. My apologies.
@Romeo - Humble apologies, my friend. I just logged on today to find your message.
Ziphone will unlock even the 1.1.4 version. If you're in a bit of a fix, then just connect to iTunes and upgrade to 1.1.4. Once done, jailbreak and unlock it using Ziphone 2.5 (latest). This will install Installer.app for you again.
If you cannot 'see' Installer.app then it might be because you may have either uninstalled it or 'hidden' it using 'Poof' or a similar app.
The jailbreaking process actually installs the Installer.app application for you after opening up the iPhone for you. If you don't have it, its easiest to upgrade or restore to factory settings & jailbreak using Ziphone.
iClarified's latest Ziphone tutorial & downloads are here (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Once again, my apologies in the delay in responding to your question... I hope I wasn't too late.

No Problems mate ,thanks for getting back to me. got it sorted thanks, restored to 1.1.3 and then got installer back.
did nt realise that i would need a 3rd part app to scroll the home screen lol untill it was to late after a moment of madness installing loads of apps. Dont like the message tones and also cause i got a payg simm it keeps comming up with how much credit of got left - annoying
any advice on using the iphone as a sat nav device m8?

pande_monium
05-03-2008, 11:18 PM
No Problems mate ,thanks for getting back to me. got it sorted thanks, restored to 1.1.3 and then got installer back.
did nt realise that i would need a 3rd part app to scroll the home screen lol untill it was to late after a moment of madness installing loads of apps. Dont like the message tones and also cause i got a payg simm it keeps comming up with how much credit of got left - annoying
any advice on using the iphone as a sat nav device m8?

I believe Apple are working on a cell-based positioning service in conjunction with Google Maps. What this means is that based upon the Mobile Carrier Cells that you are physically in, the phone triangulates your approximate position and interacts with Google Maps to let it know your approximate co-ordinates (latitude/longitude). Then Google Maps just downloads a map around these co-ordinates and you can 'see' where you are.

Same for your route planning. You know where you want to go, so you feed those details to Google Maps. This is the easiest bit as its the final destination. Google Maps' job is to now make sure you get to that destination from wherever you are (given certain constraints, of course) based upon the same technology. Simple, isn't it :). But, very clever.

This technology is still a work-in-progress and as far as I'm aware, there aren't any production models available in the market. However, there are loads of prototypes out there.

One thing to note here... even though this does kick off very well, you (& I) will be forced into signing up to a internet package with our service providers. If that is indeed what you want, then I'd recommend sticking to the original O2 contract as it gives you unlimited internet access.

jaysta07
06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
I believe Apple are working on a cell-based positioning service in conjunction with Google Maps. What this means is that based upon the Mobile Carrier Cells that you are physically in, the phone triangulates your approximate position and interacts with Google Maps to let it know your approximate co-ordinates (latitude/longitude). Then Google Maps just downloads a map around these co-ordinates and you can 'see' where you are.

Same for your route planning. You know where you want to go, so you feed those details to Google Maps. This is the easiest bit as its the final destination. Google Maps' job is to now make sure you get to that destination from wherever you are (given certain constraints, of course) based upon the same technology. Simple, isn't it :). But, very clever.

This technology is still a work-in-progress and as far as I'm aware, there aren't any production models available in the market. However, there are loads of prototypes out there.

One thing to note here... even though this does kick off very well, you (& I) will be forced into signing up to a internet package with our service providers. If that is indeed what you want, then I'd recommend sticking to the original O2 contract as it gives you unlimited internet access.

I thought this was out on the 1.1.3 firmware.

There is also a 3rd party program out that does this, called locate me.

pande_monium
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I thought this was out on the 1.1.3 firmware.

There is also a 3rd party program out that does this, called locate me.

Locate me doesn't provide you with directions to where you want to go. It'll just give you a cell-based location fix (and its way inaccurate). I am shown about 300m north of where I actually am!

Google Maps has always been on the iPhone... so has the ability to provide directions to where you want to go. However, the ability to navigate you to that location, no matter which wrong turns/roads you take, does not exist yet.

andyroth
13-04-2008, 01:18 PM
ill stick with my tytn ii, apple are very slick but feature sets dont match ms pdas yet. 2nd generation apple mobiles should be alot better

blueice14
20-04-2008, 01:36 PM
its now ?169 at cpw or o2 then the usual contract at ?35 a month once conected - unless of course you unlock and stick ya own sim in !! mwhahahh
too many features an absolute awesome gadget

pande_monium
21-04-2008, 08:24 PM
ill stick with my tytn ii, apple are very slick but feature sets dont match ms pdas yet. 2nd generation apple mobiles should be alot better

Barring the GPS connectivity, what features does the "tytn ii" (or other ms pdas) have that the iPhone doesn't have?

You're right, the 2nd generation iPhone will indeed be a much better handset. But for a company that's never manufactured mobiles before, 4million handsets+ for their 1st solo venture is pretty impressive, eh?

Not sure if you've been following the applications (and web apps) that are developed for the iPhone, but I think your information might be a bit outdated. There are more applications for the iPhone than for all other phones (prob even the top 5 put together - but don't quote me on this part).

Gazer
22-04-2008, 10:43 AM
There are more applications for the iPhone than for all other phones (prob even the top 5 put together - but don't quote me on this part).

Hmmm i think you could be right there and there is loads more to come....:trustme:

berley
06-12-2008, 04:24 PM
its now ?169 at cpw or o2 then the usual contract at ?35 a month once conected - unless of course you unlock and stick ya own sim in !! mwhahahh
too many features an absolute awesome gadget
as per normal im a year behind with everything lol
right, if i've read through this post correctly i sign a contract at ?35 per month, but the contract doesn't come into effect unless i activate itunes ??
so effectively you just pay the 169 quid then jailbreak the phone ? and there's no comeback on you for the 18 month contract ?

just checked carphonewarehouse page for the price of the contracts now as i noticed the last post in here was a good few months ago, any the ?35 per month one is :- 8GB: ?96.89 or 16GB: ?155.62

so does that mean i could you could pay for either an 8 or 16 gb one ?

Buy Apple iPhone3G: The new iPhone you've been waiting for, with 3G! - The Carphone Warehouse (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. PPLEIPHONE)

aly2026
08-12-2008, 03:32 AM
I'd be very interested to find out if your theory was right. I thought the new 3g one had to be activated instore unlike the 2g one, but on reading the page you put up it looks as though it's the same deal again. Please let me know if you find this out to be true as it could be a nice pressie for Christmas.

pande_monium
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Berley! Humble apologies for getting to this post late...

as per normal im a year behind with everything lol. right, if i've read through this post correctly i sign a contract at ?35 per month, but the contract doesn't come into effect unless i activate itunes ?? so effectively you just pay the 169 quid then jailbreak the phone ? and there's no comeback on you for the 18 month contract ?

Your interpretation would have been spot on LAST YEAR. However, the sign-up process has changed since the iPhone 3G was released this year. Now, one needs to sign-up to the contract AT THE POINT OF SALE... as against last year, when you could do so over iTunes.

just checked carphonewarehouse page for the price of the contracts now as i noticed the last post in here was a good few months ago, any the ?35 per month one is :- 8GB: ?96.89 or 16GB: ?155.62. So does that mean i could you could pay for either an 8 or 16 gb one ?

The phones are much cheaper than they were when first released. Look >>HERE (http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/iphoneindex)<< for the latest tarriffs.

And yes, you could buy either the 8Gb or the 16Gb iPhone on any tarriff you choose. You'll just have to pay the relevant up-front cost for the phone and the monthly tarriff.

One point to note, since its no longer possible to buy an iPhone without a tarriff (well, you could buy a pay-as-you-go iPhone for a ridiculous sum of ?369), its pointless to render it simm-free, since almost all its apps are internet based and you would want to use the unlimited internet feature of the O2 iPhone tarriffs.

I'm not really sure why one would only want to buy the iPhone 3G on PAYG and unlock it (which at the moment is NOT possible... so near yet so far!).

Once again, apologies for not getting to the question earlier. Hope I've answered your query..

berley
09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
thanks a million pande and yep you've answered all i wanted to know :zoom:

aly2026
09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Shame could of been a nice pressie to myself for Christmas but never mind still enjoying my 2G one great phone with lots of extras.Thanks for the clarification.