PDA

View Full Version : Sony developing 200GB PS3

kevdoc06
28-01-2008, 01:42 AM
Sony is pursuing a more expensive (Yes, it's possible) version on the PS3 with a 200GB hard drive.

Developers are already hard at work to make sure that this happens sometime in 2008 to compete with the needs of the U.S. and North American market. Sony has yet to release an official statement concerning size, but Satoshi Fukuoka, a Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. spokesman in Tokyo, has stated:

`Consumer Needs'
``It's in line with our strategy as we had planed to choose models based on consumer needs,'' Fukuoka said. The larger model, which retails for $599 in the U.S. and is $100 more expensive than the smaller version, accounts for about 90 percent of sales, he said.
The company is also considering introducing the model with a bigger hard disk, Fukuoka said, without providing details.

After sending out e-mails, instant messages, making a few phone calls, and doing a ton of reading through Sony's research and development charts, I found out that a 120GB model was in the works, but would not be a good choice considering the recent upgrade to the Xbox 360 of the same size -- not to mention the PS3's lifespan needs to incorporate a larger drive for future needs. A 200GB hard drive fits this model that Sony wants to offer.

A few other drives have been tested in between this 120 to 200GB range, but 200 seems to be the magic number. While that is thoughtful of Sony, it is also a little disappointing that they missed this when creating a console supposedly having a 10-year shelf life. The price point of the PS3 was in fact a large part of the reason. I am assuming that Sony is under the impression that we want to spend more. The U.S. market shows this with just under 10% of the PS3s being purchased at the lower price point.

originally from: Sony developing 200GB PS3 :: DESTRUCTOID - Hardcore Gamer Community :: Video Games PC PlayStation 2 Xbox 360 Wii PS3 GameCube PSP DS GBA PS2 PlayStation 3 (http://www.destructoid.com/sony-developing-200gb-ps3-31090.phtml)

evilclive
28-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Sony is pursuing a more expensive (Yes, it's possible) version on the PS3 with a 200GB hard drive.

This seems such an obvious question that I worry I'm asking something silly, but with 500GB hard drives retailing for ?60-80, why are Sony dicking around with such relatively small increases in storage capacity?

Does the PS3 use 2.5 inch (laptop) hard disks? Or is it just Sony's marketing department trying to build up hype before they eventually get round to release a 1TB PS3 at an unbelievably inflated price?

kevdoc06
28-01-2008, 11:57 PM
the max you can put in the ps3 atm is 250gb mate. ps3 uses 2.5" Sata drives and atm they dont go any higher than 250gb so you can forget about your 1TB ps3 haha. if you already have a ps3 i found a website selling the 250gb 2.5"Sata drives for ?118 delivered internal HDD are so much easier on the eye than having an external HDD imo. also if your like me and have a 40gb model it doesnt take up a usb port !

x2c
29-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Dont happen to have the link to those 250gb drives still do you?

kevdoc06
29-01-2008, 07:52 AM
sorry i might have made a slight mistake lol the price was excluding VAT and delivery mate my mistake i am very sorry but here is the link for it, works out at ?118 including VAT and delivery. big differance in 90 and 118 lol opps

Fujitsu Laptop hard drive HDD HD2046 MHY2250BH (http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/fujitsu-hd2046-laptop_hard_drive-1-hd2.htm)

evilclive
29-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Would any of these do the trick?

Fujitsu 250GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATA150 4200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Toshibe 250GB 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive SATA150 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Western Digital 250GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATA 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Western Digital 320GB 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM - Ebuyer (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. All including VAT, with free delivery if you don't mind a five day wait.

kevdoc06
30-01-2008, 01:39 AM
first one YES all the rest NO, it must be a Fujitsu 2.5" SATA drive, i don't think the ps3 will recognize any other make! they might but i wouldnt like to be the person responsible for you going and buying it and it not working so if you decide to buy any that is not a Fujitsu you buy it at your own risk! i recommend staying with the same RPM as the PS3?s original HDD, 5400RPM. You can upgrade to 7200RPM, of course, but i cannot promise that it will not have ill-effects on your machine. the first 1 on your list is only 4200RPM so there for slower! so i doubt that this will case your machine any problems just slower loading times! personaly i would pay the extra just to be on the safe side! hope this helps u in some way

Kind Regards,
KevDoc

pande_monium
20-02-2008, 02:24 AM
first one YES all the rest NO, it must be a Fujitsu 2.5" SATA drive, i don't think the ps3 will recognize any other make! they might but i wouldnt like to be the person responsible for you going and buying it and it not working so if you decide to buy any that is not a Fujitsu you buy it at your own risk! i recommend staying with the same RPM as the PS3’s original HDD, 5400RPM. You can upgrade to 7200RPM, of course, but i cannot promise that it will not have ill-effects on your machine. the first 1 on your list is only 4200RPM so there for slower! so i doubt that this will case your machine any problems just slower loading times! personaly i would pay the extra just to be on the safe side! hope this helps u in some way

Kind Regards,
KevDoc

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late response, haven't been on WOD recently... please excuse the delay.

As for the question earlier... yes, I believe any Size/Make 9mm 2.5" SATA laptop drive will do the trick. I believe the PS3 will recognise them all without any problems.

You wont be able to fit the newer 12mm 2.5" 300gb sata II hdds though... because of their size.

Norbas
26-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I was thinking about upgrading my PS3's HDD. With a few games installed and demo's etc it soon fills up.

Is it okay to put a 7200rpm disk in or are there heat implications?

shevchenko101
02-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I have to get a new HDD, with the likes of Capcom insisting with installs. Atleast it won't cost me ?120 like the 360 one.