PDA

View Full Version : cloverfield anyone seen it?

thelostone
25-01-2008, 10:02 AM
I have seen the adverts for it and it looks good but they allways show you the best bits so as i say anyone seen it and is it any good?

Diablo13
03-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I followed your link lost m8 from the other thread, to give you the follow up.
I got hold of a reasonable copy and reviewed it. I have to say in all honesty I didn't watch it all the way through as I am fresh out of Alka Seltzer. Did you know that at the American box office it took in loads of money and then lots of refunds had to be given back to punters who were feeling physically sick?
I like a good film of almost any genre, but this whole amateur hand camera thing I just find annoying. I mean whats the point of it? A good director is able to show action, emotion and a logical story in a gripping and watchable way. If you jump from a closeup of someones face to a black screen to a wall to a blurred image of peoples running legs, just how is that supposed to tell a story?
Without going on too much the idea of the film might have been good. The direction and way it was shot was truly awful and yes I hated it instantly because it didn't look like a film, more a sequence of blurry very amateur clips strung together.
No I'm not Barry Norman or Jonathon Ross and it's just my opinion , but watch it as cheaply as possible :wink: and let me know if you agree?

thelostone
03-02-2008, 10:31 PM
will do mate thanks, having said that after reading that i am not sure i want to watch it

Diablo13
03-02-2008, 10:44 PM
will do mate thanks, having said that after reading that i am not sure i want to watch it

While I wanted to give my honest opinion and why I hated it, you may feel completely different. Very often a critically acclaimed film is very worthy and very boring to a lot of people.
While A "Rambo" or a "Rise of the Foot Soldier" is slammed by the critics but enjoyed by the majority of the unwashed masses who just want entertaining.
For that reason I would encourage you to try to watch it for yourself and form your own opinion. I hope I have given you an insight into the TYPE of film you are going to watch though, before you spend 50 quid taking your family to see it at the pictures.

graham1888
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Going yo cimema 2moro to see it(orange wednesdays cnt beat it ) I will let you know !

Diablo13
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I hope you enjoy it more than I did graham 1888. Yes please let us know what you thought of it? :-?

Timoweb
06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I thought it was good. Watched it at the pics lats night not sure how good it will work on the small screen. The action parts are fantastic in a good cinema with good sound system.

Lots of slow boring bits like the start then fast exiting action. I can see why i lot of people dont like it because its not filmed from a normal perspective. I thought it was very well made and might even watch it again but at home when it comes out proper.

Its more an immersion film than a sit back and be entertained film if you get me. Makes a change from these King Kong hollywood style films!

:goodluck:

Diablo13
07-02-2008, 03:02 AM
As I said each to his own; but taking your point about it being an immersion film Timoweb I can see how that would only really work at the cinema. A large screen tv and a good home sound system is still no match for the ambience of a darkened picture house with strangers around and a huge screen with mega amps of wall to wall sound!
In that kind of atmosphere I can see how you could more easily become "part" of the film and carried along with it. :-?

graham1888
11-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Pretty dissapointing. The acting has a lot to be desired. I can only describe it as Blair witch meats godzilla! The special effects are pretty awsome though. But would you rate a film on special effect only , nah. 6/10.

Timoweb
15-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I would say its miles different to the Godzilla film, the only thing the same is they both have a monster in but so has the Goonies :ghost:.

Saw the dodgie copy thats floting around the net and flea markets OMG dont buy or download it :)] the quality is crap and will spoil the film!

Diablo13
16-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Saw the dodgie copy thats floting around the net and flea markets OMG dont buy or download it :)] the quality is crap and will spoil the film![/quote]

LOL, I got that dodgy copy to start with and binned it straight away. The second copy I got was from a site exclusive source. While it wasn't perfect by any means it was 110% better than the first one.
I just thought I would share that with you, because you must all be thinking that my opinion of the film was based on the utter sh1te one that was doing the rounds and it wasn't.:lol3:

Stanbi
21-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I quite liked this film, as it was different to a lot of the films that have been out recently. I love Sci-fi films though.
I prefer the films where you dont know what is after, as i feel it adds to the affect more.
The home camera thing did get to me at first, but i then felt i was really into it.

I hear there is a 2nd one coming out, as i would love to know what happened, and what the thing actually was!

DavC
21-04-2008, 12:50 PM
seen it at the pictures when it first came out. seriously, don't bother even downloading it.

wasn't good at the cinema, so can only be worse than that on your home setup. pointless film due to the ending. the only good part of it was the clever advertising, how it just put questions in your head, but the film does not live up to what you'd expect.

also not into this blair witch stype carry a camcorder around thing, gets boring and irritating very quickly.

Jango
21-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Using the words my son would use, 'wot a load of pants'. Like earlier posts I'd agree with the motion sickness tablets, nice idea but it just doesn't work. I have though had a few things said about it now I've finished watching it - don't read on if you don't wish to spoil the film.

1. On uuuutube there is a clip of the end that has been slowed right down and you see something in the top right falling from the sky.

2. Also, there does seem to be more than one creature !

But basically PANTS !

Diablo13
21-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I hear there is a 2nd one coming out, as i would love to know what happened, and what the thing actually was!

Another one???
They really know how to cash in don't they! I wonder how many people who didn't like the first one will still go to see the second hoping for an explanation of the first :confused:
Such is the power of marketing. Who said "you can't fool all of the people all of the time" ? :))
When it comes to Hollywood they were dead wrong.

renwich
21-04-2008, 09:40 PM
pile of crud , turned it off after 15 mins of trying to keep my eyes open

esox
21-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Watched with great interest all the way through, still haven't got a clue what its about. Thought i had dodgy copy, but no thats it. if someone knows what its about, PLEASE TELL ME!!!