PDA

View Full Version : belkin security

Magnu420
22-01-2008, 11:43 PM
got another belkin wireless router cos mine died on me.. installed it correctly
secured the network but when i come to connect with lappys it wont conect
even though ive typed in the passkey for the secured network keeps comming
up summat like 5 or 13 digits passkey the passkey is a 8 digit,ive tried on all three
security settings wep,wep+wpa,wpa+psk no matter what i try in the properties
of the connection settings or the belkin settings the lappys wont connect unless
i disable the security....any ideas where im going wrong also ive done a few
belkin routers for networking in the past

pande_monium
26-01-2008, 01:08 AM
got another belkin wireless router cos mine died on me.. installed it correctly
secured the network but when i come to connect with lappys it wont conect
even though ive typed in the passkey for the secured network keeps comming
up summat like 5 or 13 digits passkey the passkey is a 8 digit,ive tried on all three
security settings wep,wep+wpa,wpa+psk no matter what i try in the properties
of the connection settings or the belkin settings the lappys wont connect unless
i disable the security....any ideas where im going wrong also ive done a few
belkin routers for networking in the past

I have this issue with my wife's work laptop as well. The wi-fi works absolutely fine with my PS3, iphone, pda, desktop & my macbookpro... but just won't work with her laptop! She's rebuilt it twice, changed/upgraded the laptop... nothing!

It can't be that her onboard wi-fi chip is outdated... because she's just got the latest laptop.

I'm not sure, but her laptop is the only one which has a vpn access setup and secure LAN to connect to work.

Am going to setup a vpn tunnel on my Airport Extreme router this weekend... hopefully that'll work.

Is your lappy a work lappy... or does it have a vpn setup too?

Magnu420
26-01-2008, 01:15 AM
forgot about this post lol..... managed to get my lappy connected but when i try
on the missis lappy i dont get the 5 or 13 digit error all i get is limited or no conectivity
status even though im putting the same passkey as mine...but in the properties of the
lan connection on the missis lappy it totally different to mine ie mines got drop down box
for wep,wpa/wep,wep/psk on the missis lappy it has only wpa/psk so me thinks its
summat to do with the wpa/psk settings will try again and report back thats if i dont forget again :roflmao:

pande_monium
26-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I have Ed Zachary the same problem !! "Limited or no connectivity" Bloody repair doesn't work!

The problem is that being a work laptop, she doesn't have admin access to it... and I can't do anything!!

dx100-uk
26-01-2008, 03:07 AM
limited or no connectivity issues canbe down to many things, sadly.

if its dEF not signal related ie you have the lappy right nextdoor to the router, then its a windows zero config error.

if you have the manufacturers drivers loaded, switch to that or vica vera if you are using that already switch to windows zero config, even limited users can do that from the system tray icons.

the other issue that occurs is the IP address.

if you can run ip config and find out what ip range it has , if its 169 range, then its managed to to try and create an ad-hoc network using the same ssid with another pc/lappy with the same issue. this is a known fault with winxp.

there is a knowledge base bullitin on it.

if it does have a 169 range ip the only foolproof way to stop it happening is tick the box that says connect to access points only [not any/all types of networks] if that dont work sadly you must switch it off for 24hrs [or until the lease expires. if you can view this info] .
once the lease has expired, reconnect to the acces point .

be it at work or at home it is always caused by two winxp devices establishing an automatic ad-hoc network of the same name as a local access point, if the other device continues to be left on [or in standby] you will never get rid of it.

netstumbler is a very good tool for tracking down the offending laptop. we get this all the time at my works, but then we do have upto 2500+ random device across 15 campuses!

dx100uk

pande_monium
26-01-2008, 07:39 PM
limited or no connectivity issues canbe down to many things, sadly.

if its dEF not signal related ie you have the lappy right nextdoor to the router, then its a windows zero config error.

if you have the manufacturers drivers loaded, switch to that or vica vera if you are using that already switch to windows zero config, even limited users can do that from the system tray icons.

the other issue that occurs is the IP address.

if you can run ip config and find out what ip range it has , if its 169 range, then its managed to to try and create an ad-hoc network using the same ssid with another pc/lappy with the same issue. this is a known fault with winxp.

there is a knowledge base bullitin on it.

if it does have a 169 range ip the only foolproof way to stop it happening is tick the box that says connect to access points only [not any/all types of networks] if that dont work sadly you must switch it off for 24hrs [or until the lease expires. if you can view this info] .
once the lease has expired, reconnect to the acces point .

be it at work or at home it is always caused by two winxp devices establishing an automatic ad-hoc network of the same name as a local access point, if the other device continues to be left on [or in standby] you will never get rid of it.

netstumbler is a very good tool for tracking down the offending laptop. we get this all the time at my works, but then we do have upto 2500+ random device across 15 campuses!

dx100uk

Some good points there DX... thanks... will try them out this weekend-ish and get back. Much obliged.

If I can get this resolved, I'll be a much happier man.