PDA

View Full Version : HD TV/Digital

fatspanner
28-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Probably a stupid question but hey gonna ask it anyway.

Are all HD TV's compatible with digital TV. It wasn't too long ago i brought a nice LCD samsung. Then saw the adverts recently and just wondered if i'd fooked up. Surley its ready for the digital age?

Kalipo
28-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Whats the speck of the telly.. Ie the resolution?

obviously you telly will play hd but will only play hd if the resolution is high.. get me your model number and ill tell you if hd complient or not :)

priti46
02-12-2006, 12:09 AM
these teles usually have a hd logo on them if they are high resolution

little_pob
02-12-2006, 03:18 PM
To answer your question, provided your TV has a scart/aerial feed your TV will display a freeview/freesat feed fine. Digital terrestrial is not (yet) broadcast as a HD signal. Whether your TV has a built in freeview decoder or whether will need a separate set top box is another question. Easiest way to find out is to check the manual (the front of which should have the DVB logo if it has built in freeview receiver) or go to the manufacturer's website and look at the specs for the set.

For if/when freeview/freesat does go HD it may be worth pointing out that the minimum spec for a TV to labeled as 'HD-ready' (as its a licensed trademark) is 720p at 16:9 with HDCP via HDMI or HD composite.

Many claim 'true' high def should only be applied to 1080p sets, but it is also applied to 720p and 1080i sets.

[edit] Just noticed the OP date. So answer is probably now irrelevant, but the information may be of use to someone...