PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Wall Ties

fergalsworld
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
My house was built in 1938 and i have a horrible feeling my wall ties are rusting:sad:and need replacing with the newer type ones.
My question is does the house insurance cover this or will i have to pay for it myself.
Thanks for looking

Sicilian
07-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry, could be a little clearer please. Rusting? Are they metal? Exterior?

DessertDog
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Building Ins should cover this m8 there maybe a excess that depends on Insurance Company.

fergalsworld
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Sorry, could be a little clearer please. Rusting? Are they metal? Exterior?
Wall ties are what hold your outer house wall to the inner wall
stopping the outer wall from bulging and eventually collasping m8 they sre metal because the house was built in 1938.
info
Wall Tie Treatments. (http://www.tieright.co.uk/page2.html)

Sicilian
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Wall ties are what hold your outer house wall to the inner wall
stopping the outer wall from bulging and eventually collasping m8they will be metal because the house was built in 1938.

LOL, sorry m8. I read it a wall tiles. So yes I would say you should be covered.

berley
07-01-2008, 04:34 PM
LOL, sorry m8. I read it a wall tiles. So yes I would say you should be covered.

ah least i wasn't the only dimwit to read it as wall tiles :p

notanotherone
Fishtail ties can expand enough to cause cracks and must be removed, or isolated, after new ties have been fixed. Twisted wire ties cannot rust enough to cause cracks, so do not require 'isolation' or removal. In either case visible red rust or white rust indicates sufficient corrosion to require replacement.most of this should be covered by house insurance as dd said you may have a n excess to pay

fergalsworld
Your as bad as berley pmsl.

Fishtail ties can expand enough to cause cracks and must be removed, or isolated, after new ties have been fixed. Twisted wire ties cannot rust enough to cause cracks, so do not require 'isolation' or removal. In either case visible red rust or white rust indicates sufficient corrosion to require replacement.most of this should be covered by house insurance as dd said you may have a n excess to pay
Cheers nao you are correct because since i found out a 12 sqr foot of wall is loose under the back bedroom window
i have noticed the tell tale rust spots on the side of the house that is open to the elements aswell:sad:

notanotherone
07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
you can replace them without having to take down a wall you can use a metal detector to find the old one and drill holes for new ones to be located this company specilaises Clan - Products (http://www.clan.co.uk/html/products/index.html)

fergalsworld
07-01-2008, 04:45 PM
you can replace them without having to take down a wall you can use a metal detector to find the old one and drill holes for new ones to be located
Yes i have been looking its not a big job really cost between 250-600 depending if they have to take out the old ones or not
just wanted to know if the house insurance covered it.
seems it does:)

berley
07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Cheers nao you are correct because since i found out a 12 sqr foot of wall is loose under the back bedroom window
i have noticed the tell tale rust spots on the side of the house that is open to the elements aswell:sad:

tell everyone why the wall got loose

. i'll get my coat ............... taxceeee :p