PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 elite or PS3 40gb???

indian
02-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Im considering buying one or the other and im really tempted by the whole Xbox Live concept but a Playstion 3 is a Playstation 3 with loads of fancy stuff to offer so itz left me totally confussed so feel free to help me out on this 1

pande_monium
07-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Im considering buying one or the other and im really tempted by the whole Xbox Live concept but a Playstion 3 is a Playstation 3 with loads of fancy stuff to offer so itz left me totally confussed so feel free to help me out on this 1

Both have their own pros/cons. Depends upon what you want to do with it.

If its just playing games, then the 360 just has an immense number of games on its list. Plus, its backwards compatible, so you can play the xbox games as well. Yes, online gaming is better with the 360. But you've got to take up a membership. Unfortunately, MS is crap for reliability.

The PS3, on the other hand, can do loads of neat tricks & play games. Online gaming is free with the PS3. If I were you, I'd go for the 60Gb version so that it plays the PS2 games, has the advantage of 2 extra usbs ports, sd/mmc/ms/cf memory card readers & 20gb extra. The PS3 also allows you to install a linux flavoured os on the PS3 to make it a true all-in-1 system. You can also stream music/divx/photos/etc from a media player to your TV, etc. Can play BD movies/SACD.

Without turning this thread into a debate as well, if you're looking to get just gaming out of your console, go for the 360. If you want more, then the PS3 is the route to take.

withnailuk
09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Well as pande_monium has said it is a matter of choice here i myself have a 360,and yes at the moment there are far better games on the 360 and the console is a little cheaper.The 360 can now stream divx as well and now market place has a the moment 24 hd/sd films.

In saying that market place is good but can be a bit restricted when it to comes mods i.e pro evo kit patchs and the like where as with the ps3 you can down load them from there internet browser,and games like unreal 3 where mods play a big part in a game i doubt with the 360 you will be able to mod any part of that game dou to the restrictions of live.

I guess in a ideal world it would be best to have all of the console's but we can't all do that so we have to bite the bullit and pick a side:)

jacksmith6
09-01-2008, 10:25 PM
The PS3 is also a Blu-ray player.
Which means that you can play High Definition movies.

Blu-ray looks like it may win the format war so its worth thinking about it.

Shipoftheline
10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Everyone has their favourite and believe it or not some who don't even have one yet for me their is only one choice for a true gamer......XBOX 360

pande_monium
10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Perhaps an important point for some, the 360 can be modded to play backups. The PS3 as yet, can't. The 60Gb plays about 90+% PS2 games, not the 40Gb.

Yes, BD is indeed winning the HD/BD war. My take is that this whole BD/HD war may well perhaps just be washed over. MS knows this and is pushing for online movies (recent tie-up with BT). However, I think it'll still be a year or so till this matures because we'd really need good broadband speeds in order to view a movie with good quality video/audio - just enough time for BD to become embedded into our homes... or at least gain a decent advantage.

ubernewbie
10-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I think the most important issue over anything is the games, and for me without doubt the 360 beats the ps3 hands down. I like yourself was undecided between which console, but choose Xbox because it had the type of games I wanted to play. I bought the elite model because at the time it was the only xbox with HDMI, now all have it. About reliablity this is a MAJOR issue. Cant help but feel im on borrowed time as it is on a zephyr board, but apparently all new models with HDMI and 175w on the box have a new heatsink and layout and are less prone to melt.

Ubie

dboxer
23-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Go for the Xbox

like uber said its all about the games and xbox trounces ps3 on that.

DanMB
23-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I have always been a PSer. But this time after a long think about it (5 minutes) because i wanted one straight away i decided to go 360 and im so glad i did. They only think i hate about mine is the damn noise.

wiiman
25-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm getting a hdtv in the next few months and then i need to decide wether to get a 360 or a ps3, at the moment i'm being drawn to the ps3 mainly for the blueray as i don't get as much time for gaming as i used to now days, so i think this will be the better option in the long run.

mans0012
29-01-2008, 04:27 PM
ive got the xbox 360 elite i dunno what the big deal is about it all lols

billyreh
08-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Got 360 and no complains all firmwared up and it great.

buttyrudecat
10-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Both consoles run in 1080p so it depends if youre tv will run full hd!! Me personally would go for the 360 its got more players on line so there not as much waiting around to get a game!! and xbox live is 5 years old so itll have better servers! plus the consoles a lot cheaper and so are the games!!
I know ps3 has got a built in blueray player but you can pick up a hd dvd player for ?50

pande_monium
10-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I know ps3 has got a built in blueray player but you can pick up a hd dvd player for ?50

I assume you meant a DVD player with a HDMI output. Not really sure if you're aware, but the HD/BD formats are completely different from the DVD format. They offer a MASSIVE improvement in terms of audio & video quality and extra content.

A HD or BD player won't come under 200 at the moment. A DVD player with an HDMI output and perhaps 1080p upscaling costs about 40-80. Hence, I'm assuming you meant the latter.

BTW - the PS3 is perhaps the only future-proof BD player because of its ability to accept firmware upgrades from Sony. People with a PS3 will automatically have the latest BD player in the market. And of course, housed snugly in the best gaming console ;p.

jcressey
23-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Looking at the 2 consols its is more then clear the ps3 is a stronger more powerful piece of kit, however Microsoft have still got the lead on the Online scene,

No matter how hard sony try, they will never be able to compete with microsoft, Not for the next 10 years anyhow.

At the present, there are nothing between the 2 consols as far as grpahics are concerned, Again microsoft have hit the target with the consols Interface and the way it runs so smoothly.

So the question you have to ask yourself is this...
Do you enjoy Playing with the best graphics

Or

Do you enjoy playing with good graphics with excellant online experience with the rest of the world.

Thats the question I would be asking if I was going out to buy one for the first time..

I myself enjoy playing online so I purchased a Xbox360, However If I wasnt fortunate enough to have internet (Obivously not the case for anyone who reads this post) then I would certainly buy a PS3

Jas

mattrider
23-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I have an 360, however now Toshiba have stopped supporting their HD-DVD format. I would be more inclined to by a PS3.

Shipoftheline
23-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I have an 360, however now Toshiba have stopped supporting their HD-DVD format. I would be more inclined to by a PS3.

You'd buy a console for movies :confused:

arron26
17-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I have a 360 and i have played my cousins PS3 and i'd say the 360 is well better!!

bb8ai
19-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I would have to say 360 but once metal gear 4 comes out the choice would be a lot harder.

nabby19
19-04-2008, 10:20 PM
xbox all the way

K494dia
20-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm trying to decide between the two consoles myself.
I'll probably get one once GTA IV is released.
It is currently cheaper for developers to create games for the 360 and then convert them into the PS3 format so we're not seeing a great difference in graphics between the two consoles. We'll see the PS3's at its best once MGS4 is released. In time you would think Sony will reduce the fees it charges games developers and more games will be coded specifically for the PS3.
How does the PS3 compare to stand alone blue ray players for watching movies?

frustin
23-04-2008, 04:15 PM
i would recommend the xbox 360 because the choice of games is far better than the ps3 and also games like gta4 will have extra content

f0xsplit
16-08-2008, 06:31 PM
360 all the way

pacman160778
23-08-2008, 12:51 AM
I have always been a PSer. But this time after a long think about it (5 minutes) because i wanted one straight away i decided to go 360 and im so glad i did. They only think i hate about mine is the damn noise.
Same here, i bought the first Playstation when it came out (yes, i am that old) and two PS2s pre-ordered when they were released (seem to remember they were ?299 each when they came out, and made ?200 profit on one selling it too my boss who wanted it for his son for Xmas that year :D )

I bought the 360 a couple of months after it came out, and have never looked back and its still working so i must be one of the lucky ones!

The noise of it is a bit car though.

pacman160778
23-08-2008, 12:53 AM
i would recommend the xbox 360 because the choice of games is far better than the ps3 and also games like gta4 will have extra content
Great game, completed it with a 75% completion about a month ago. Couldnt be bothered going through it to get all the gamerscore though, i had over 80hrs gameplay the first time round lol :S

vissions
27-11-2008, 10:56 PM
XBox 360 has much more games

stupotster
29-11-2008, 04:12 PM
xbox 360 gets my vote...more games ..better games...just wish it had the blu-ray!

stumc
04-05-2009, 09:40 PM
PS3 every day of the week mate - even if just for the bluray.