PDA

View Full Version : Receiver for (descrambling) Italian channels

gms_sep
27-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi

I'm familiar with cable but not too hot with satellite so I would appreciate some assistance with what I want to achieve.

My Italian parents are currently watching the Italian FTA channels (RAI, Italia1, Canale5 etc.) on an old nokia 9200 STB(?) (we are talking 10-15 year old technology). In recent years these FTA have been scrambling many of their sporting output and even movies and this seems to be on the increase. (Why this applies to Italian channels and not other nations' FTA channels I do not know. You can watch RTL, SAT1 German FTA channels without any issues.)

Anyway, back on topic - Doing a bit of research I gather that when these channels encrypt they use MediaGuard2 encryption.
Is there a receiver out there that will be able to descramble these channels with the minimum of effort.
If so, what receiver do I use?
Will I need a CAM and card still?
Are there any receivers out there that are linux-based (like Dreambox cable) where I can just flash the image and hey-presto clear channels?

BTW, I am not interested in descrambling SKY ITALIA.

Look forward to you reply.

krazylegz
28-12-2007, 10:00 AM
there are various boxes out there that are linux based m8 such as dreambox 500s,500+s,600s,7000s,7020s,7025,eaglestar etc but none clear mediguard m8...............maybes a cam might,the best ones out are diablo light and t-rex super module but i havent heard that they do.

have a look at LyngSat - Lyngemark Satellite (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and see what channels are fta and what one you get,because if they are slowing becoming scrambled then theres a good chance that the provider has moved them onto their pay packages,hence the encryption now

screen54
10-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Lyngsat shows a host of fta Italian channels here...

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. links allowed?)

Plenty of stuff can still be opened with Linux based receivers but they are not just a case of flash and forget. They do require a bit of attention to keep everything running smoothly but it's nothing too tricky.

Which particular channels are you interested in?

gms_sep
14-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Sorry for the late reply!!

I'm particularly interested in the RAI group of channels and Canale5, Rete4 & Italia1.
Since my initial thread I have been doing a bit of reading on other forums and I'm going to opt for a new box on the market called a Darkbox. This opens up the RAI channels (and more) and you don't need a cam or card...

Sicilian
14-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Those rai channels are encrypted in seca 1 (mediaguard). I'm sure a linux box could decrypt these.

Mik25
14-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Cheap dm500s clone will clear these and a lot more on 13 deg and is probably your cheapest and most convenient option owin to the support dm boxes have.if you cant flash an image to a dreambox you best stay away from sat altogether lol.

gms_sep
14-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah the Darkbox and the Dreambox 500s (and its variants) will clear the RAI Channels - not sure about the SECA2 (Mediaguard2)channels (Rete4, Italia1 and Canale5. Will wait and see.

Sicilian
14-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Let us know how u get on.

gms_sep
14-02-2008, 06:24 PM
will do. Hopefully have it set up by next week.... and then I can get rid of my parents ancient nokia9200S box.

gms_sep
18-02-2008, 04:25 PM
ok, got a Darkbox set up for my parents. DeScrables all the RAI channels (including RAI international) but not Mediguard2 when-encrypted channels (Italia1, Canale5, Rete4).
I have read it will AU the following channel set:
TPS
Premire
DigiTV
Polsat
When scanning through the satellite channels yesterday on 13E I was able to see:
BBC Prime, Canal+ and French Multiviions channels to mention but a few.
I am going to purchase a dual lnb (monobloc) to watch channels from Astra19.2E as this has Premiere on there....
Not bad for an outlay of around ?67

krazylegz
19-02-2008, 03:39 AM
not bad for the price m8,why dont you invest in a motor then you can get digitv on 1w too,as it's rumoured that premiere is changing encryption soon so it'll give you more options with a motor................worth a think;)

gms_sep
19-02-2008, 10:41 AM
might consider it - I thought that 19.2 and 13 would give me over 4000 TV channels and that might be enough....
Couple of questions...

1. what do I have to look out for when buging a motorised system?
2. whats the furtheset east & west satellite that I can receive. Presumably for the West its the 1 degrees one?

j.sinclair7
15-04-2008, 03:34 PM
i got a technomate 1000d+ mate and it does the same as the darkbox with min. fuss. i would recomend a motorised dish which would take in all sats that r open just now.