PDA

View Full Version : wireless keeps disconecting help needed!!

vincewrd
27-12-2007, 08:20 PM
i have a d link router and a netgear wireless card, the wireless keeps disconecting for a second or two then reconnects some times it says limited conectivity. i have 2 laptops on this one router what could this problem be. some one said they might have same ips? what ever that means, what do you lot think many thanks

notanotherone
27-12-2007, 08:32 PM
i run 3 laptops through the same router all wifi enabled are you sure its nothting to do with the signal some rooms have " dead spots" depending where you sit

y2krog2000
27-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Never had a dlink always had belkin and the software you get with a belkin has a program on it to test the connection, it pings the router and a lot of other things and shows you whats wrong you might want to look to see if you have a similar program that you installed your wireless card when you set up your wireless.

vincewrd
27-12-2007, 09:04 PM
no mate im sitting about 1 metre away if that and its doing it, some times it goes for ages then does it, it dont do it at certain times its random

vincewrd
27-12-2007, 09:08 PM
it says limited conectivity then i click repair and it sorts it out. i do have a status program when it does it the ip address goes then once it sorts its self out it comes back

y2krog2000
27-12-2007, 09:15 PM
it says limited conectivity then i click repair and it sorts it out. i do have a status program when it does it the ip address goes then once it sorts its self out it comes back
If the both computers are disconnecting then I would say that the problem is with the router, if you have been using this router for a while and it was ok up until now then you might want to factory reset it and set it up again or see if there is a firmware upgrade for it.

vincewrd
27-12-2007, 09:18 PM
it only does it on my hp laptop it dont do it on my sisters novatech laptop

y2krog2000
27-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Could be a lot of different things.

a virus (do a virus scan)
computer is on power saving mode (make sure its not)

They are 2 that I can think it could be if you have not changed any of your settings and it worked before, if you have done a virus scan and its clean and its not in power saving mode then you could try to uninstall then reinstall the wireless card with the newest drivers from the netgear site and see if that fixes it.

pande_monium
27-12-2007, 10:30 PM
it only does it on my hp laptop it dont do it on my sisters novatech laptop

I would delete the wireless connection entirely and start afresh with a new connection. Also, ensure that you have DHCP ticked if that's what has been selected on the router (normally the case).

Hitman
27-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Have you installed any other wireless equipment in your home lately that may cause interference?
Have you moved the router since it started happening?
If the two computers had the same ip address you would get a warning of an ip address conflict.....assuming you are using windows.

I had exactly this problem when i installed a wireless alarm system in my house but strangely its ok now.
Try disabling and re-enabling your wireless on the laptop, that might help

vincewrd
28-12-2007, 03:26 AM
no new wireless stuff. the other laptop is fine it only does it now and then which i can live with but this hp one keeps doing it all the time