PDA

View Full Version : Help with testing getting more than 24 hours EPG from the PVR_EPG channel

FreddyFr0g
21-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi there
If you have a hdd drive and are using swapfile, then I need your help. I've compiled a new sectionsd for you to test but it's still a bit unstable (crashes after a few hours) - the zip files contains the new sectionsd + diffs + source files + other conf files and here's a few lines from the readme file.

This is not 100% there yet, the sectionsd is still quite unstable but I'm
looking for feedback from people having a HDD with swap file enabled to
double check that the sectionsd is (or not) more stable with swapfile on.
The diff are not 100% clean either... what I mean is that there's still some
duplicated 'test' functions I haven't removed and lines of codes that could
be removed... If someone can help with making this more stable that would be
great!
Step 1
Make sure you do a scan to find - or check if you already have - a channel called
PVR_EPG.
Step 2
Upload the sectionsd from zip file to your dbox, because it's not yet stable, make sure
you do not replace your existing sectionsd, just put it somewhere like /tmp for example.
Step 3
Telnet to your box and stop the current sectionsd by typing the killall sectionsd command line.
Start the new sectionsd by simply typing the full path to the newly uploaded sectionsd, /tmp/sectionsd
in our example.
Step 4
Tune to PVR_EPG and events taking place longer than 24 hours in the future starts to be added. You can wait let's say
10 minutes and have a look in any other channels to see that it's working. Make sure that you don't have
your EPG cache set to something smaller than at least 3 days and 15000 events (lower the full description to
3 hours) if people with HDD and swapfile can increase this and report stability that would be great, I'm on the forums
listed at the end of this files.
Optional Step 5
If you would like your dbox to go automatically to the PVR_EPG channel on standby to download more events
when you're not watching TV, then follow this last step - the dbox will tune back to original channel when
coming off standby.
Replace/Update your /var/tuxbox/config/standby.on and /var/tuxbox/config/standby.off files with the ones from
the zip file. Or just add the important bits marked in the attached files to your existing files...
You'll need a newish version of /bin/pzapit for it to work (test this by typing pzapit -gi, it this
gives you your current channel, you're on!) - thanks for the pointer pt-1!

if you can improve the code that great!
Please note that you can also test this sectionsd without a hard drive

FreddyFr0g
22-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Quick update.
Having briefly talked to Houdini - he confirmed to me that I was allocating too much memory to my DMX variable.... I set this too high as I was getting too many POLLERR messages.
Anyway, I made it the same size as the original EIT variable and updated and added a filter and it worked for me overnight (first time it doesn't crash!) but I had to set the EPG to 3 days and 15000 events only... I'm going to experiment further but I'm sure that people with a swap partition will be able to set that much higher!
I found the first glitch as well, events are duplicated after 24 hours. I'll update that and re-post the updated patch.

FreddyFr0g
02-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Latest sectionsd + new diff

2007-12-29
Added option to disable the new thread + new diff against latest sectionsd v1.256 2007/12/21
You can turn off the virginepg by either starting sectionsd with -disableVirgin or
have an epg_virgin line in your neutrino.conf set to false.
2007-12-25
Fixed duplicated events that were appearing after 20 hours running. Some channels will still have a few duplicates
in the current time +20 to +24 hours after running... this is because I found that some channels give 20 hours
of data ahead (BBC) and some 24 hours (ITV)... so to avoid any gaps at that stage, I left the cleaning routine to a
20 hours cutting point (look for the skipSeconds variable).
The cleaning process only takes place when you are on the PVR_EPG channel, so you might get more duplications of events if
you didn't go back to that channel for a long time.
Diff still not 100% clean but you can make your own!

renwich
02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Latest sectionsd + new diff

thanks Freddy, is it ok to post a complete image containing this for people to test .?

renwich
02-01-2008, 11:59 PM
fook me Freddy , this is mad you cant not get this in an image, I've got epg until late Saturday
:hail:

why arnt more people on here testing this and helping, this is fantastic

Magnu420
03-01-2008, 12:09 AM
fook me Freddy , this is mad you cant not get this in an image, I've got epg until late Saturday

cos i allways get lost with the lingo but will try in the near future

nj2006
03-01-2008, 12:32 AM
credit where its due freddy m8 what an advance for the dbox scene
the days of 3 hr epg look set to be over.keep up the good work ;)

FreddyFr0g
03-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, I'm hoping that in the near future any good UK images will include it !

ozbodd
19-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Could this be stored in the CIFS share rather than SWAP for those without HDDs?

FreddyFr0g
19-01-2008, 08:00 PM
@Ozbodd,

You don't have to have SWAP enabled to test this... it works 'out of the box' with settings on 3 days EPG and 15000 events.
Some testers (Thanks PaphosAL!) are even reporting 6 days EPG by cunningly use the epgfilter.xml files to only get long EPG on the channels they are interested in.

ozbodd
20-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Great, look forward to this coming out in an image soon.

In the EPG you get a category named 'unknown' This I believe used to show the program genre 'Sport, Movie, thriller' etc in an old Sportster image I had a couple of years ago. Can this be reactivated as it would be a useful field for EPG searching.

renwich
02-02-2008, 09:51 PM
@Freddy have you done anymore on this ,, are there any newer diffs please

FreddyFr0g
03-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Nothing new for now :(
I'm working on some new other stuff to do with the dbox...
I think the next stage for this will be to change the sectionsd for sat, like implementing TPS and Sky EPG (pt-1 pointed some new scripts to me for Sky but haven't had the chance to look at it).
I can't remember seeing categories either for Virgin, are they sending that info as well?

PaphosAL
06-02-2008, 08:50 PM
OK- Guys, let's get things going again with Freddy's 7 Day EPG. Is anyone who's testing this actually getting 7 Days yet? Without slowing their dbox down to snail pace?

I am, LOL!

First off, the secret lies in that unused weapon in your zapit folder: epgfilter.xml (and thanks to pt-1 for steering us to this valuable memory-saving resource!!)

Think of all the channels you're pulling in. 2/3 of them you never watch. But 15 hours of EPG and Long Descriptions is still being loaded for all of them, wasting memory.

I started the manual method of culling the services.xml file long long ago, before Background Scanning, myservices, and 7 Day EPG were even thought of...

My aim has always been to strip all the unwanted ****e out of this file. Here, I include channels like all the duped BBC / ITV channels, the DL Data stuff, and ETS. Ultimate aim has always been to have NO channels at all in 'Andere / Others'- so this dynamic Bouquet itself doesn't show.

But I'm still loading long EPG for stuff we don't watch. Enter epgfilter !!

My services.xml currently holds 256 channels, of which, 135 are in epgfilter.xml (for Now 'n Next EPG only)- leaving me with 111 channels open to collect up to 7 Days EPG!!

Use Metapad to Copy 'n Paste from your bouquets.xml into epgfilter.xml the channels you want to limit to Now 'n Next EPG only. The more the better! Radio included. Even if you don't bother with 7 Days EPG, it's still a very good house-keeping exercise for your dBox.

If you do want 7 Days EPG, then this first step is fairly important- so please do this first.

It might help if you Image creators were to include the attached epgfilter.xml file in /var/tuxbox/config/zapit please. The one in there by default is 0 bytes, so doesn't give anyone much idea what it's for, or what it does. My version (or similar) is tested- and gives peeps some good starter info. (Just remove the rar extension, as it's really a clear XML file, ta)

7 Day EPG feedback follows shortly. AL's hungry, and thirsty, LOL! Cheers- AL :imnew:
Cheers- AL http://unlocker-forums.co.uk/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

PaphosAL
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Hmmm- maybe I'm not allowed to make Attachments yet? Or I am- but not allowed to see them? Oh well, never mind- what you've never had, you'll never miss (as my dear old Mum used to say)...

Hunter
06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Hmmm- maybe I'm not allowed to make Attachments yet? Or I am- but not allowed to see them? Oh well, never mind- what you've never had, you'll never miss (as my dear old Mum used to say)...
i see it lol:fight:

and welcome aboard by the way:clap:

PaphosAL
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh, that's good! All I see is: Could not find phrase 'error_postcount_too_low_attachment'.
LOL!

OK- some more feedback from my extended testing of 7 Day EPG in 2 or 3 different images. It might provide some food for thought for any of you guys who are experimenting with this...

Firstly, I've found that using FreddyFrog's fiendishly clever method of auto switching to the PVR_EPG channel in Standby mode is too 'hit and miss'.

Reason: If you don't leave it in Standby long enough, it won't collect the full 7 days EPG for the channels NOT in your epgfilter file. Leave it in Standby too long, however- and data for the 7th day starts to get truncated for some unknown reason...

So I've disabled the FF sections in standby.off and standby.on so that my dbox no longer switches to PVR_EPG in Standby.

Instead, I'm now using a set of Daily Timers (set up under Blue > Yellow) - for this to load automatically. After a lot of trial and error, I found that 15 minutes was the optimal time for my setup to be in PVR_EPG.

Remember, I have 135 channels in the filter (for Now 'n Next EPG only), leaving me with a 110 channels for 7 Day EPG. So my settings in Miscellaneous are:
Days: 7
Hours: 8 (yes- 8 - not a typo!)
Keep: 0 (who needs to know what you've just missed?)
Events: 24000

If your filter/non-filter channel ratio is different to mine, you might need to fiddle with the 'Events' setting, AND try different durations in PVR_EPG to find your optimum timings. 15 mins might be too short or too long for you. Test in increments of 1 minute, but remember to reboot between each test, to clear the epg cache.

My Daily Timers:
T1- 05:00 Shutdown (This empties the current EPG Cache)
T2- 05:10 Zapto: bbc news 24 (See below)
T3- 05:15 Zapto: PVR_EPG (Full 7 Days EPG is loaded)
T4- 05:30 Zapto: SM Comedy (or any other channel)

What's the purpose of the T2 Timer, I hear you ask? Well, a Zapto out of Shutdown is not accurate, timing-wise. It seems to 'wake-up' to the zapto channel 2-3 minutes BEFORE the selected time for some reason. So if you try to wakeup directly to the PVR_EPG channel, it will overrun your desired time span.

All in all, I believe 7 Days EPG (in conjunction with epgfilter) to be the best delevopment on the dbox2 scene for a very long time. Especially when you consider that Freddy's sectionsd and pzapit are 141kb smaller than the originals too!!

Thanks again to FreddyFrog AND pt-1 !! Cheers- AL http://unlocker-forums.co.uk/images/smilies/icon_cheesygrin.gif

FreddyFr0g
06-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Great new guide Al!
I'm still looking for the elusive dbox user with HDD and swapon enabled to test this to check the stability even thought you perfectly managed without!

nj2006
07-02-2008, 01:28 AM
if you think this is stable now i wouldnt mind including it in njlworld v 6.2. is this ok with you freddy m8.

the approprate credit will be given on image write up.

FreddyFr0g
07-02-2008, 09:30 AM
That'd be fantastic - but you better put some reasonable settings for it to start with (i.e. no more than 3 days worth)!

PaphosAL
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
That'd be fantastic - but you better put some reasonable settings for it to start with (i.e. no more than 3 days worth)!

Even a bog standard image will give up to 3 days EPG- once the user has left it on the PVR_EPG channel for 10-15 minutes.

May I suggest 2 / 8 / 0 / 9600 as ultra-safe settings for default? I've just tested with and without epgfilter present, and both tests with 15 mins in PVR_EPG and have full speed and stability.

Oh, another 'unknown' that I've tested out:

Are channels that are Hidden in myservices.xml still collecting long EPG? YES! They are...

Cheers- AL

ozbodd
08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Can I just bump this question ...

In the EPG you get a category named 'unknown' This I believe used to show the program genre 'Sport, Movie, thriller' etc

I am certain my very old Sportster image had these Genres in the EPG and, now with the search facility it would be great? Anyone know?

PaphosAL
08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
LOL! On jffs2 images, I always go into english.locale and replace Unknown with Virgin Digital Cable TV just for a laugh.

This info then appears when you go Red > Yellow for more Program Info. All the 'Genres' under the sun are in place already in english.locale - but these might be for Satellite? Or maybe VM don't stream this data any more, or sectionsd is looking for it in the wrong place?

FreddyFrog and/or Cydine might know. Cheers- AL :imnew:

ozbodd
08-02-2008, 03:08 PM
All the 'Genres' under the sun are in place already in english.locale - but these might be for Satellite?

It was definately on a cable Dbox where I saw them, but that was NTHell days

pt-1
08-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Sky UK uses it too:

} wdict[] = {
{ "(Including " },
{ "(New Series)" },
{ "(Part " },
{ "(Repeat)" },
{ "(Stereo)" },
{ "(Stereo) (Teletext)" },
{ "(Teletext)" },
{ "(Widescreen)" },
{ "Action" },
{ "Adventures" },
{ "America" },
{ "Animated" },
{ "Australia" },
{ "Away" },
{ "BBC" },
{ "Baby" },
{ "Best" },
{ "Big" },
{ "Bill" },
{ "Black" },
{ "Blue" },
{ "Breakfast" },
{ "Britain" },
{ "British" },
{ "Business" },
{ "Call" },
{ "Cartoon" },
{ "Channel" },
{ "Children" },
{ "Clock" },
{ "Comedy" },
{ "Cook" },
{ "Country" },
{ "Directed by " },
{ "Drama" },
{ "East" },
{ "Education" },
{ "English" },
{ "Europe" },
{ "Extra" },
{ "Final" },
{ "Financial" },
{ "For" },
{ "French" },
{ "From" },
{ "George" },
{ "Get" },
{ "Girls" },
{ "Golden" },
{ "Golf" },
{ "Good" },
{ "Great" },
{ "Hampshire" },
{ "Headlines" },
{ "Hear" },
{ "Hill" },
{ "Hollywood" },
{ "Home" },
{ "Hour" },
{ "House" },
{ "How" },
{ "ITN" },
{ "Important" },
{ "Including" },
{ "International" },
{ "John" },
{ "Last" },
{ "Late" },
{ "Learn" },
{ "Little" },
{ "Live" },
{ "London" },
{ "Look" },
{ "Lunch" },
{ "Man" },
{ "Mark" },
{ "Meridian" },
{ "Michael" },
{ "Minutes" },
{ "More" },
{ "Morning" },
{ "Murder" },
{ "Nation" },
{ "Neighbours" },
{ "New" },
{ "News & Weather" },
{ "News And Weather" },
{ "Paul" },
{ "Plus" },
{ "Prayer" },
{ "Present" },
{ "Presented by" },
{ "Quiz" },
{ "Regional" },
{ "Represent" },
{ "Resource" },
{ "Review" },
{ "Richard" },
{ "School" },
{ "Series" },
{ "Service" },
{ "Show" },
{ "Smith" },
{ "South" },
{ "Sport" },
{ "Star" },
{ "Street" },
{ "TV" },
{ "Teaching" },
{ "The" },
{ "Today" },
{ "Tonight" },
{ "Weather" },
{ "Western" },
{ "Westminster" },
{ "William" },
{ "With" },
{ "World" },
{ "about" },
{ "action-packed" },
{ "adventure" },
{ "afternoon" },
{ "alert" },
{ "all-star cast" },
{ "and" },
{ "anywhere" },
{ "audience" },
{ "based" },
{ "book" },
{ "business" },
{ "but" },
{ "celebrity" },
{ "chance" },
{ "chat" },
{ "child" },
{ "classic" },
{ "consumer" },
{ "contestants" },
{ "continues" },
{ "controversial" },
{ "dealer" },
{ "deliver" },
{ "discuss" },
{ "document" },
{ "drama" },
{ "edition" },
{ "education" },
{ "events" },
{ "every" },
{ "excellent" },
{ "eyed" },
{ "family" },
{ "famous" },
{ "featur" },
{ "film" },
{ "football" },
{ "for" },
{ "from" },
{ "general knowledge" },
{ "get" },
{ "guest" },
{ "guests" },
{ "has" },
{ "have" },
{ "headline" },
{ "her" },
{ "his" },
{ "home and abroad" },
{ "host" },
{ "how" },
{ "in" },
{ "including" },
{ "international" },
{ "interview" },
{ "introduce" },
{ "investigat" },
{ "invites" },
{ "issue" },
{ "knowledge" },
{ "life" },
{ "live" },
{ "look" },
{ "magazine" },
{ "meets " },
{ "morning" },
{ "morning magazine" },
{ "music" },
{ "near" },
{ "network" },
{ "new" },
{ "new series" },
{ "night" },
{ "of" },
{ "on" },
{ "onight" },
{ "out" },
{ "over" },
{ "part" },
{ "people" },
{ "phone" },
{ "poli" },
{ "police" },
{ "political chat show" },
{ "popular" },
{ "presented by " },
{ "programm" },
{ "quiz" },
{ "reconstruction" },
{ "report" },
{ "review" },
{ "school" },
{ "series" },
{ "short " },
{ "show" },
{ "some" },
{ "starring" },
{ "stars" },
{ "stories" },
{ "story" },
{ "studio" },
{ "surprise" },
{ "teller" },
{ "that" },
{ "the" },
{ "their" },
{ "them" },
{ "they" },
{ "this" },
{ "through" },
{ "to" },
{ "top" },
{ "trans" },
{ "under" },
{ "up" },
{ "very" },
{ "video" },
{ "view" },
{ "vintage" },
{ "visit" },
{ "was" },
{ "way" },
{ "week" },
{ "well" },
{ "what" },
{ "when" },
{ "which" },
{ "while" },
{ "who" },
{ "will" },
{ "win" },
{ "with" },
{ "words" },
{ "world" },
{ "written" },
{ "year" },
{ "you" },

gav12345
10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
hi m8

after a scan all the epg goes after a hard reboot it comes back on?

PaphosAL
10-02-2008, 12:51 PM
hi m8

after a scan all the epg goes after a hard reboot it comes back on?

Never noticed that, Gav- probably coz I hardly ever use Scan, LOL! I'd imagine that for a full Scan that the shutdown of sectionsd is necessary? Hence the EPG is cleared...

Cheers- AL

nj2006
10-02-2008, 01:44 PM
so we need to some how restart the sectionsd after a scan.

right taken a look at scan.cpp sectionsd is not stoped its paused

Line 116 :

g_Sectionsd->setPauseScanning(true);

then un paused at

Line 173 :

g_Sectionsd->setPauseScanning(false);

it doesnt look as if it is comming out of paused mode.

this isnt an error with neutrino as the normal sectionsd dont react like this.

but also ive looked at the diff and cant see what changes are effecting this.

anyone else got a take on this. am i looking at it completely wrong. LOL

FreddyFr0g
10-02-2008, 05:45 PM
To be honest, the changes I've made aren't that important, I've just added a thread. Maybe I misspelled a variable somewhere and the thread doesn't pause or restart properly - I'll have a look

nitr8
12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
FreddyFr0g,

please could you post your latest diff for us? the old one does not work anymore, fixed it but it looks like something else is missing and i dont have time to muck about :)

--me

FreddyFr0g
16-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi Guys,
Sorry - didn't realise that further modifications from the cvs occurred!
This is untested (until I get the chance maybe tomorrow) diff from the current cvs.

FreddyFr0g
17-02-2008, 06:53 PM
OK, here's an updated diff. Quite a few bits have changed in the EIT thread so I tried to "copy and paste" the changes to the Virgin thread. I think t of the changes had to do with the now and next events but I incorporated (I think) everything.
The 10 minutes test is good so far, i.e. doesn't seem to be either better or worse!
Attached the diff and a skrinked sectionsd binary.

PaphosAL
18-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Freddy! I have your new sectionsd now running with Pacino 3 and all seems OK. Full 7 Days EPG on my non-filtered channels, with Now 'n Next EPG only for the filtered ones.

No visible differences though. Cheers- AL

pt-1
18-02-2008, 01:49 PM
@Freddy

have you had time yet to look at the Sky EPG ???

FreddyFr0g
18-02-2008, 07:28 PM
That's definitely on my todo list although it would be hard for me to test as I only have a dual head astra 19.2/hotbird. But I know I can count on you for testing ;)!

pt-1
19-02-2008, 10:22 AM
That's definitely on my todo list although it would be hard for me to test as I only have a dual head astra 19.2/hotbird. But I know I can count on you for testing ;)!

More than Happy to test ;-)

nitr8
19-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm still looking for the elusive dbox user with HDD and swapon enabled to test this to check the stability even thought you perfectly managed without!

FreddyFr0g,

Good news man :) her is what i have done:
6 days
30000 events
epg_dir /hdd/epg
set i=99 in start_neutrino or start (dependent on the image you are using, this is because 3 seconds is not enough time for it to write all the data to disk)

picked up most event within a couple of minuets, made it permenant so i can keep an eye on it during the week.

--me

P.S. Just some info:
[root@lebelo:/hdd/epg]# du -h /hdd/epg/
5.2M /hdd/epg

FreddyFr0g
20-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Brilliant, so I guess that it needs at least 5.2Mb of RAM/Swap then?
Good tip about the i=99 - as I had the path to epg dsabled at the mo

nitr8
21-02-2008, 01:01 AM
well a couple of minutes after a bounce this is what i got:

total used free shared buffers
Mem: 30884 30124 760 0 172
Swap: 136544 300 136244
Total: 167428 30424 137004

NORMAL BOX (NO HDD)

Mem: 30888 26824 4064 0 0
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 30888 26824 4064

so i guess i would not see any issue with me :p

this is pretty interesting thou:

Mem: 29756K used, 1128K free, 0K shrd, 172K buff, 6396K cached
Load average: 0.11 0.46 0.42
PID PPID USER STAT RSS %MEM COMMAND
98 1 root S 16616 54% sectionsd
99 98 root S 16616 54% sectionsd
100 99 root S 16616 54% sectionsd
101 99 root S 16616 54% sectionsd
103 99 root R 16616 54% sectionsd
104 99 root S 16616 54% sectionsd
106 99 root S 16616 54% sectionsd
107 99 root S 16616 54% sectionsd

NORMAL BOX (NO HDD)

Mem: 26948K used, 3940K free, 0K shrd, 0K buff, 11080K cached
Load average: 0.34 0.27 0.20
171 1 root S 8380 27% /tmp/sectionsd
172 171 root S 8380 27% /tmp/sectionsd
174 172 root S 8380 27% /tmp/sectionsd
175 172 root S 8380 27% /tmp/sectionsd
176 172 root S 8380 27% /tmp/sectionsd

--me

FreddyFr0g
21-02-2008, 10:30 AM
You'll need at least 10 minutes on the channel to see the resources go down :).

FreddyFr0g
21-02-2008, 10:33 AM
OK, here's an updated diff. Quite a few bits have changed in the EIT thread so I tried to "copy and paste" the changes to the Virgin thread. I think t of the changes had to do with the now and next events but I incorporated (I think) everything.
The 10 minutes test is good so far, i.e. doesn't seem to be either better or worse!
Attached the diff and a skrinked sectionsd binary.
Talking about 10 minutes, I think I'm having problems with that new version, seems to completely freeze the box after being on the channel for 10-15 minutes, definitely wasn't doing this before.
Anyone else having problems?

PaphosAL
21-02-2008, 01:50 PM
No problems like that here, Freddy. Sounds like it could be a memory issue... Are you using a sizeable epgfilter list for Now 'n Next only on the crappy channels? Cheers- AL

FreddyFr0g
21-02-2008, 03:30 PM
No problems like that here, Freddy. Sounds like it could be a memory issue... Are you using a sizeable epgfilter list for Now 'n Next only on the crappy channels? Cheers- AL

oh well, that's good news then. Did you leave it longer than your 10 minutes schedule then?
Might be because I re-put the epg-folder (having change the start file as suggested by nitr8), I'll need to double check!

I eventually managed to follow your quick guide on the filter last week, very quick thing to do using your template and removing a few lines in a copy of bouquets.xml!

FreddyFr0g
21-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I still wasn't happy with the latest release so I went back to the code and made the timeout shorter (the same as 'normal' epg now).
I also updated the veit_filter to match its 'twin' function - I hadn't realised that it had been changed too.
The load is smaller I believe when on the EPG channel for a long time.

nj2006
21-02-2008, 06:32 PM
did you take a look at the loss of epg after a scan issue m8 ?

FreddyFr0g
21-02-2008, 07:33 PM
no as I wasn't aware of a problem with this!
What's going on with re-scan? Do you have a link to an existing thread?
Just a side note, I can see that the new code from cvs for sectionsd includes a restart command and a couple of if scanning then sleep stuff... so it might be that the problem being addressed!

nj2006
21-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Just a side note, I can see that the new code from cvs for sectionsd includes a restart command and a couple of if scanning then sleep stuff... so it might be that the problem being addressed!

page three of this thread m8
http://world-of-digital.com/forums/139/help-testing-getting-more-than-24-a-21696-3.html

gav posts the issue

nitr8
22-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi,
I still wasn't happy with the latest release so I went back to the code and made the timeout shorter (the same as 'normal' epg now).
I also updated the veit_filter to match its 'twin' function - I hadn't realised that it had been changed too.
The load is smaller I believe when on the EPG channel for a long time.

so here is my resources compared to the old new one you did:

Mem: 30884 17000 13884 0 72
Swap: 136544 0 136544
Total: 167428 17000 150428

Mem: 18456K used, 12428K free, 0K shrd, 136K buff, 8764K cached
Load average: 1.15 0.32 0.11
138 97 root R 2728 9% sectionsd
96 1 root S 2724 9% sectionsd
97 96 root S 2724 9% sectionsd
98 97 root S 2724 9% sectionsd
99 97 root R 2724 9% sectionsd
100 97 root R 2724 9% sectionsd
102 97 root S 2724 9% sectionsd
103 97 root S 2724 9% sectionsd
104 97 root S 2724 9% sectionsd

looks much better.

--me

PaphosAL
22-02-2008, 10:32 AM

Yes, I replicated Gav's EPG glitch when testing P3. It seems that sectionsd is either paused or killed when Scan starts, but doesn't Resume or Restart when Scan complete. Reboot needed to get EPG back.

It's not an issue for me though, as I hardly ever use Scan anyway. Cheers- AL

nj2006
22-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, I replicated Gav's EPG glitch when testing P3. It seems that sectionsd is either paused or killed when Scan starts, but doesn't Resume or Restart when Scan complete. Reboot needed to get EPG back.

It's not an issue for me though, as I hardly ever use Scan anyway. Cheers- AL

not an issue really here as i never scan that often either.

just wondered if their was a fix thats all.

nitr8
22-02-2008, 03:19 PM
So it was mentioned about and ON/OFF switch here is how to add it to neutrino boot options. i dont have time to make it but here is how its done:

Firstly change /ect/init.d/start_neutrino

replace sectionsd with the following

if [ -e /var/etc/.boot_vepg ]; then
sectionsd
else
sectionsd -disableVirgin
fi

tuxbox-cvs/apps/tuxbox/neutrino/src/gui/neutrino_menu.cpp

const driver_setting_files_struct_t driver_setting_files[DRIVER_SETTING_FILES_COUNT] =
{
{LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_BOOTINFO , "/var/etc/.boot_info" , OPTIONS_OFF0_ON1_OPTIONS },
{LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_BOOTVEPG , "/var/etc/.boot_vepg" , OPTIONS_OFF0_ON1_OPTIONS },
#ifndef HAVE_DREAMBOX_HARDWARE
#if HAVE_DVB_API_VERSION == 1
{LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_STARTBHDRIVER , "/var/etc/.bh" , OPTIONS_OFF0_ON1_OPTIONS },

tuxbox-cvs/apps/tuxbox/neutrino/src/system/settings.h

#define FILESYSTEM_ENCODING_TO_UTF8_STRING(a) (g_settings.filesystem_is_utf8 ? (a) : Latin1_to_UTF8(a))

#ifdef HAVE_DREAMBOX_HARDWARE
-#define DRIVER_SETTING_FILES_COUNT 2
+#define DRIVER_SETTING_FILES_COUNT 3
#else
#if HAVE_DVB_API_VERSION == 1
-#define DRIVER_SETTING_FILES_COUNT 6
-#else
#define DRIVER_SETTING_FILES_COUNT 5
+#else
+#define DRIVER_SETTING_FILES_COUNT 6
#endif
#endif

tuxbox-cvs/apps/tuxbox/neutrino/src/system/locals.h

LOCALE_DATE_TUE,
LOCALE_DATE_WED,
LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_BOOTINFO,
+ LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_BOOTVEPG,
LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_DRIVER_BOOT,
LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_FB_DESTINATION,
LOCALE_DRIVERSETTINGS_HEAD,

tuxbox-cvs/apps/tuxbox/neutrino/src/system/locals_intern.h

"date.Tue",
"date.Wed",
"driversettings.bootinfo",
+ "driversettings.bootvepg",
"driversettings.driver_boot",
"driversettings.fb_destination",
"driversettings.head",

tuxbox-cvs/apps/tuxbox/neutrino/data/locale/english.locale

date.Tue Tue
date.Wed Wed
driversettings.bootinfo Show Boot Info
+driversettings.bootvepg Start Extended Virgin EPG
driversettings.driver_boot Driver & Boot Options
driversettings.fb_destination Expert! Boot-Console
driversettings.head Driver & Boot Options

jobs a good'one.

--me

PaphosAL
22-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Well, I managed the first box OK. Anyone up for for doing the rest? :please:

Not quite clear on this 'Extended Virgin EPG' switching, tbh. Is this an alternative to switching to PVR_EPG channel for a set period?

Cheers- AL