PDA

View Full Version : NDS trying to destroy Dream Multimedia

kevdoc06
16-12-2007, 12:21 AM
NDS, manufacturer of encryption systems for DVB services are thwarting Dream Multimedia, manufacturer of Linux set-top-boxes

End of last year NDS have requested Dream Multimedia to close up their open-source operating software and remove the Ethernet network connection from all their products.

Now NDS in their role as president of ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute)have taken an even more drastic step. ETSI are refusing to grant a CSA (Common Scrambling Algorythm) license to Dream Multimedia. NDS have an unhealthy large say in ETSI and consequently have the power to stop a license being granted without any valid reason whatsoever.

Unfortunately, a manufacturer needs an ETSI license to be allowed to inplement CSA encryption. This implementation is a requirement for a set-top-box to comply with and work according to the DVB standard. Without ETSI license a manufacturer cannot legally use and implement CSA.

IBM, manufacturer of the CPU(central processing unit) in the set-top-boxes DM7000, DM5620, DM500 and DM7020 have been put under great pressure by NDS not to sell CPUs to Dream Multimedia anymore. This has been done by using the argument of Dream Multimedia not having a valid license.
The same pressure has been put on the (new) manufacturer of CPUs' that Dream Multimedia intends to use in their new models DM7025 and DM8000.

Ofcourse this is an outrageous development and a heavy blow to the open source community. NDS apparently have the power to make an organisation like ETSI refuse a license to any manufacturer without any valid reason.

ETSI, which is a non-profit organisation which' major goal is standardisation should not refuse a license to Dream Multimedia, since the company complies with all conditions required to obtain a license.

source: Management of Dream Multimedia

It's quite appaling to witness the power of Rupert's companies. Now they've started to try and destroy independent set-top-box manufacturers?

nj2006
16-12-2007, 12:31 AM
sounds like the price of dm boxes are going up .lol

Magnu420
16-12-2007, 12:35 AM
best get one now while you can..... before it happens

kevdoc06
16-12-2007, 12:49 AM
i was thinking of a dream box 600, I'm def getting a Linux box for myself but am still undecided on which box to get ATM

renwich
16-12-2007, 01:30 AM
get em while there cheap

nj2006
16-12-2007, 11:57 AM
taking this in to consederation there are some floors in the text. nds are not presedent of ETSI .
they do carry alot of weight though

nds are well known for their dirty tricks they often decrypt other companys algorythms and post them over the net.

Canal+ technologies claims it was NDS who hacked Seca Mediaguard and published all it's secrets so that they could force their encryption to other European pay-tv providers. Fortunately, not many providers fell for that, and most of them stayed with Mediaguard v1+ or chose another, non-NDS encryption system.

the reason they dont want the network port in the dm is because that is apparently how cardsharing is done.(i wouldnt know;))

but there are meny closed source linux setop boxes that have been hacked so whats the point of requesting them to turn dream media software closed source. ( Humax IRCI-5400 ,OFFICIAL Seca Mediaguard boxes have been adapted to do cardsharing)

the cpu thing well i dont see it as a problem meny third party's would be happy to help in obtianing them for dream media.

so really the only problem i can forsee in this statment is price will go up . ther is nothing in the law that can stop the dm500 clones from comming from china, i dont think if dream media went down there would be much of an issue its all open source and other developers could easly take on the roll.

hixy
16-12-2007, 12:08 PM
No disrespect from to the poster but this is old news ,it was on other forums over a year ago and nothing has happened yet, i would worry about the chinese cloners putting dream out of business rather than nds!