PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading firmware ? Mario Galaxy

Jango
06-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Hiya All,

Tried my lads chipped wii last night with SW Saga, Call Of Duty 3, Ben 10, Transformers and...............Mario Galaxy. They all worked a treat till I came across Mario Galaxy, this asked me to update from the disk YES / NO. Took no as I'd been advised this by the chipper or is it chippie, anyway he said to do it from the net. I've seen on the news groups others making comments for others if an update is needed or not, if it plays on PAL. I also keep seein this 1.9b 1.9g. Do I need to get hold of this update ? Whats it gona do to my machine (will I notice anything at all), is it easy to do, is it only Mario it effects or are others gona catch me out like this ? Have I ever seen a grown man naked, have I ever been in a turkish prison..........sorry went into Airplane mode. I've also seen posts from people saying they get messages after applying updates - basically do you lot do it ??

Had a friend already help with some of this but trying to gather as much information as possible.

I'm new like you wouldn't believe to the wii and would just like some tips from anybody who can give it.

Ta as always Jango

notanotherone
06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
best thing to do is update the firmare which i think is 3.1e (do not have any game in the machine while you do this)you can update it if your connected via wifi when your on the first screen youll see wii on the bottom left corner hit that then wii settings when you get to the next screen at the top right it will tell you what version of firmware you have (in my case 3.1e)then goto the wii system update and update it then once its been updated play a pal game then put in smg if your chip has the proper hex on it then it should play ok ..if not dont worry it wont brick it that particular game just wont play but everything else should this includes backup`s it depends what chip you have in the wii it mite be a d2a or a d2b or a d2c you have to make sure its the rite chip inside and the right hex for the chip youve got
ill pm you the yaosm 1.9 if you need it

Jango
06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks nao, thats just the sort of answer I was looking for, if it helps I do know the chip that was put in the wii, it's d2ckey - is that good or bad ?

Ta again Jango.

Celtic67
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
The d2c chip should already be fine to play Mario.

Is it the PAL or NTSC version of SMG? If it's NTSC then it'll still want to update, even if you update your firmware online first. If you let an NTSC SMG update your Wii, then you'll get double Internet & Weather (I think) channels.

There is a way round that as well, let us know if it's NTSC.

If it's the PAL version, it'll be fine.

Jango
10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
The d2c chip should already be fine to play Mario.
Is it the PAL or NTSC version of SMG? If it's NTSC then it'll still want to update, even if you update your firmware online first. If you let an NTSC SMG update your Wii, then you'll get double Internet & Weather (I think) channels.
There is a way round that as well, let us know if it's NTSC.
If it's the PAL version, it'll be fine.

Hiya Mate,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you both, the version I tried was NTSC, I haven't had chance to try it again as it's present for my eldest. In the meantime though I had got hold of the PAL version, so I'll give that a go to see if it asks to be updated.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Jango

[UPDATE]

Jobs a good un !

Read through and followed everybodies advice (thanks) got hold of a PAL version of SMG, but allowed the Wii to do an update via the web first. Tried the PAL version SMG and came up with no 'you need to upgrade message' also then tried the NTSC version and that now also works. I think basically just a matter of getting use to something new - thanks again, help on here is always the best and always appricated.

Jango.

enrmchan
11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
If the game is NTSC & your wii is PAL, then I would suggest NOT to update, as it may brick your wii by giving you additional "weather" & "news" channels.