PDA

View Full Version : Wii from America?

pande_monium
05-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Hullo folks,

Got a few questions, wonder if someone can please help. Being a PS3 person myself (and sparingly at that), I've got no clue on what pitfalls I shall encounter if I import a Wii from the US.

Judging from a brief read of the various threads, I do know that the Wii can be chipped to play backup games. But I'm not too sure of what else a modded Wii can do besides play games/dvds.

1. Will it be worthwhile for me to get a Wii from the States?
2. Will all games I buy here play on the Wii out-of-the-box (oob) or will I have to chip it first?
3. Will it play region-free DVDs oob?
4. What's the best chip available & how much does the chipping cost?
5. Anything else I may need to be aware of...

Thanks in advance.

little_pob
05-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Biggest issue will be that US Wiis output in NTSC, you'll need to check you TV is capable of displaying NTSC. Many are but do check.

Games are regioned so you will need to chip it to play EU/Japan games.

Its not even got regionalised DVD playback oob. Nini have prioritised standard Wii production as demand is still outstripping supply. Japan where supposed to get a DVD Wii this year but aren't and thats their core market. Chipping should allow DVD playback: Play It Again, Mario: Unofficial Wii DVD Playback Now Available, Requires Modded Wii (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/play-it-again,-mario/unofficial-wii-dvd-playback-now-available-requires-modded-wii-291060.php)

It'll probably come with the latest firmware installed, and as I'm not into Wiis (fun to play, quite boring to watch someone else play!) I wouldn't like to comment about what chip to get or will work.

pande_monium
05-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Little_pob: Cheers for taking the time out to answer my query mate. Much obliged.

Biggest issue will be that US Wiis output in NTSC, you'll need to check you TV is capable of displaying NTSC. Many are but do check.
Yes all my TVs can handle NTSC signals. Good point to mention though.

Games are regioned so you will need to chip it to play EU/Japan games.
Its not even got regionalised DVD playback oob.
God!! I wonder what's the fuss about then. I've got half-a-mind to get the PS3 EyeToy instead for ?25. I won't even need a controller to play with then!

I read somewhere that certain updates must not be performed if the Wii has been chipped. Is this true?

Considering that the Wii's for my 6-year old daughter, I'd be $hitting in my pants if this was true.

little_pob
05-12-2007, 03:15 PM
God!! I wonder what's the fuss about then. I've got half-a-mind to get the PS3 EyeToy instead for ?25. I won't even need a controller to play with then!

I read somewhere that certain updates must not be performed if the Wii has been chipped. Is this true?

Considering that the Wii's for my 6-year old daughter, I'd be $hitting in my pants if this was true.
My mate cannot update his Wii's firmware because it will prevent the chip from working, original games would apparently remain unaffected tho'.

Nintendo may also introduce a banning system in the future (a l? xbox live) but AFAIK they don't currently. But thats not much of a problem if you never intend on playing it online tho' (don't think there are too many games that allow you to yet anyway?).

y2krog2000
05-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Will a wii from America even work in the U.K. the power supply is different and dont know if the U.K. games would work on it, I know that a lot of U.K. electricals wont work in America because of the different power current so mabey worth looking into before you spend your money, I think it should say 50 Hz and 60 Hz on the power supply for you to be sure it will work in both countries.

little_pob
05-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Will a wii from America even work in the U.K. the power supply is different and dont know if the U.K. games would work on it, I know that a lot of U.K. electricals wont work in America because of the different power current so mabey worth looking into before you spend your money, I think it should say 50 Hz and 60 Hz on the power supply for you to be sure it will work in both countries.

Good point. It would depend on the power pack.

If its 110v only it won't work, in fact it'll likely blow.

If its 110-2*0 (where * is anything from 3-5) it'll work, but you'll only get a 2 pin US plug. Looking at the aftermarket replacement it looks like the they are sealed to the power pack too, so you'd need an US to UK 3 pin adapter rather than a spare figure of 8 lead.

But unless you knew someone with a US Wii, you wouldn't know until it arrived.

sifurlong
05-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Genuine PAL games wont work on an American Wii.
Also updates from Games with a different region to the console can brick the system.

I wouldn't buy one from the states, you are better off buying one from Germany or somewhere else in the EU.

notanotherone
05-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Genuine PAL games wont work on an American Wii.
Also updates from Games with a different region to the console can brick the system.

I wouldn't buy one from the states, you are better off buying one from Germany or somewhere else in the EU.
you can get a wii to play any game from any region you just ahve to be careful as from getting one from any other place than the uk ..no chance.. germany will not sell outsdie their country neither will france holand and so on
as for not been able to update just depends what chip is onboard the yaosm hex now works with pic12f629 chips and so on so again there shouldnt be a problem .... you can get a unbricker disc to make sure you dont brick it it really depends on what chip is inside your wii if its d2a or d2b its no problem but if its d2c then thats the 30 wire job and it can cost up to a 100 quid for that having said that there is a new 13 wire set up being reported going around but still a lot of work if you could buy a second hand one then depending on the leh number there should be nothing to stop you as for buying in the usa ? mmm ill look into it i know you can play differnet region games in a chipped wii but will lok into the usa one for you

pande_monium
05-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Yes it will. The power supply of the Wii has a range of 110v~240v. Effectively, what this means is that you can plug it anywhere in the world. The only thing that'll need to be changed is the plug connector cable (the one that goes into the mains).

y2krog2000
05-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Yes it will. The power supply of the Wii has a range of 110v~240v.
Yep that may be the case on the one you bought here but they dont usualy do that sort of thing over there as its a big country and dont realy care if something will work 2 thousand miles away. I bought some stuff in Canada this year and it was going to take it back home with me but it didnt have 110v~240v on it (thats what I ment by 50hz - 60hz ;)) all the things had was for their voltage only not like what you get in the U.K.. The 2 things that I looked at bringing back can be bought in the U.K. and Canada/America Wahl hair clippers and a philips divx dvd player and neither of the 2 of them would work in the U.K. but the wii might be different and im sure you will find out one way or another by seeing if anyone else has bought one on the net.

pande_monium
05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Yep that may be the case on the one you bought here but they dont usualy do that sort of thing over there as its a big country and dont realy care if something will work 2 thousand miles away. I bought some stuff in Canada this year and it was going to take it back home with me but it didnt have 110v~240v on it (thats what I ment by 50hz - 60hz ;)) all the things had was for their voltage only not like what you get in the U.K.. The 2 things that I looked at bringing back can be bought in the U.K. and Canada/America Wahl hair clippers and a philips divx dvd player and neither of the 2 of them would work in the U.K. but the wii might be different and im sure you will find out one way or another by seeing if anyone else has bought one on the net.

Cheers mate. :-)

The frequency and the voltage, although related in this case, are 2 different things. I completely understand what you're saying. This was the 1st thing I verified for the Wii. An expensive lesson I learnt a long time back.

The reason why the Wahl & dvd player did not have the frequency & voltage range was that they did not have a separate dedicated power supply. To keep costs down and for space considerations, the transformers are not bled at different stages to tap the differing voltages. For the Wahl, there just wasn't enough space for the power supply circuit. For the divx player, the costs may have been a driving factor, or perhaps both.

The Wii, fortunately has a separate power supply, and hence, has the frequency & voltage range for us all :-). If it had an inbuilt power supply, I'd have been most concerned.

Its the same for laptops or any other portable device you would buy. I just bought a Sony 9" DVD player. It has the external power supply. All I did was switch the header cable :-).

I hope that helps. I'm sorry I've deviated from the core issue... just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth.

y2krog2000
05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
The Wii, fortunately has a separate power supply, and hence, has the frequency & voltage range for us all :-). If it had an inbuilt power supply, I'd have been most concerned.

I didnt realise the wii had a seperate power supply :dam: as I dont have one, but as you said should be able to sort any problems out then.