PDA

View Full Version : Decent Cheap Wireless Router/USB Adaptor?

hardtarget
28-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm looking for a decent and cheap set to get internet on my 2nd computer which is downstairs,
i have 20meg broadband but will soon downgrade that with 4mb and its with virgin media.

I've seen some usb adaptors for around ?10 but think i need one of them routers aswell,
can someone point me in the right direction?

little_pob
28-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Got my sister the "BELKIN B5DUK045 Wireless DSL Router" with G+ mimo and WPA2+PSK security from PC World. Was on the shelf for ?79.99 but went through the till at ?49.99 (price it is on website too), comes bundled with a USB wifi dongle as well.

I tried setting it up manually for about 20 minutes, like I'd had to with my parents older, ADSL modem/router, but it was having none of it. Used the setup disc and was running in about 2 mins.

Also had to set it up again 2 days later as my sister couldn't get on the net, and resetting the modem or router wasn't working.

Found out that if the connection is lost turn both off, turn modem back on, wait for ready light, then turn the router back on. (I'll point out now that I'm not familiar with this cable lark if that is the way that it should always be done). Since saved the config file for quicker set-up in the future.

The usb dongle randomly fails to initialise on boot up, to be fair this may be an issue with my sister's aging, 2nd hand PC. Its quickly sorted by unplugging from the desktop docking thing it comes with, then plugging it back in. But its an annoyance all the same...

enrmchan
11-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Well ... I think any router will do the job ...

I picked up the D-Link DI-624 on eBay six month ago for ?20 & very easy to set up. Now the laptop & Wii are connected throught it using virgin Broadband.

sedate2
27-02-2008, 09:46 PM
It depends if you have kids etc and want to enforce control on where they may want to go...i have used draytek vigor routers in the past for friends and family and even a few clients..they have some good parental control built in with subscription- about 30 quid a year...but they are not cheap...about 170 quid incl vat....but they do the job well, and some of them have VOIP built in which means cheap internet calls if you use SIP..

chmod-uk
18-04-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm looking for a decent and cheap set to get internet on my 2nd computer which is downstairs,
i have 20meg broadband but will soon downgrade that with 4mb and its with virgin media.
I've seen some usb adaptors for around ?10 but think i need one of them routers aswell,
can someone point me in the right direction?

What i have is a Belkin pre-n wireless router connected to the cable modem. All other machines use the wireless and my server uses one of the ports on the belkin. You can get a nice cheap usb wireless adapter on ebay for next to nowt, i prefer the Safecom cos it's got drivers for all operating system.