PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N95

DessertDog
25-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Thinking of getting this phone on 3 Network im told it need a dongle to use sat nav and is it unlockable yet any advise would be great.

Gazer
25-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Got this phone on orange network DD

no you dont need anythink for the sat nav as its built in,
its a good phone but i had to update the firmware from v11 to v12 so that the sat nav would work, which the 3 network already as v12
and iv found it hard to get it unlocked without sending it off to be done.
but to be honest there is now a new n95 out now with 8gig built into it and its faster as well, but its only on vodafone free from ?30 per month

Regards Gazer

Hitman
25-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi DD
I think you are referring to using the internal gps with tomtom.
You cant use tomtom withot an external gps at presant but if you use route 66 it works fine and its more or less the same as tomtom anyway, apart from the speed camera alarms.
If you get one give me a shout and ill point you in the right direction to get it working.

DessertDog
25-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi DD
I think you are referring to using the internal gps with tomtom.
You cant use tomtom withot an external gps at presant but if you use route 66 it works fine and its more or less the same as tomtom anyway, apart from the speed camera alarms.
If you get one give me a shout and ill point you in the right direction to get it working.
I was told today that the N95 has its own built in gps and has autoroute installed but i have a seperate gps if req.and that it needs a dongle from nokjia ? no idea what this is apart from something that hangs lol

Sicilian
26-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I was told today that the N95 has its own built in gps and has autoroute installed but i have a seperate gps if req.and that it needs a dongle from nokjia ? no idea what this is apart from something that hangs lol

If your seperate GPS is a bluetooth module you CAN use tomtom symbian. There is no need for another dongle. Tbh route 66 runs better on the N95 than tomtom does. Route 66 cannot use speedcams though.

Satnav on the N95 is not as good as your GO910 though.

Hitman
26-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Autoroute is not installed.
maps is the default sat nav program on the n95 and its a bit naff and does not allow for spoken directrions.
one thing i do like about the n95 is its ability to run google maps which in satellite view is the same as google earth.
It can use the internal gps to pinpoint your location on the aerial photos...you need an internet connection for the maps to update.
Dont know anything about a dongle tho.

DessertDog
26-11-2007, 11:48 PM
well lads thanks for the advise and help i setled for th E65 Nokia
im told that will run sat nav if i req it.It has msn and abay so i think ill be ok
thanks again for the help

rickyincamden
12-12-2007, 01:59 PM
hi tomtom 7 when it comes out will work on n95 so im told.

crack1
10-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I am also thinking of getting this with co-pilot versoin but does any one know if it is better than tomtom mobile?