PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to officially play XVID/DIVX

KhanUK
25-11-2007, 04:27 AM
Sony is clearly intent on making the PS3 the all-in-one hub for your home entertainment. A new list of media formats supported by the system right out of the box includes a variety of hard and digital formats, and should satisfy the needs of just about everyone.

The hard media has been known for some time, but here's the full list.

BD-ROM

BD-R

BD-RE

DVD-ROM

DVD-R

DVD-RW

DVD+R

DVD+RW

CD-ROM

CD-R

CD-RW

Super Audio CD

The PS3 will also allow you to access a variety of media file formats from the video, music and photo menus of the Cross Media Bar. We're assuming these files can be stored anywhere, including the hard disk and memory cards.

VIDEO

MPEG-1

MPEG-2 (PS,TS)

H.264/MEPG-4 AVC

MPEG-4 SP

MUSIC

ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3)

AAC (.3gp .mp4)

MP3 (.mp3)

WAV (.wav)

IMAGES

JPEG

GIF

PNG

TIFF

BMP

For those who wonder where is XVID/DIVX in the list, MPEG-4 SP (Simple Profile) is the MPEG-4 part 2 codec: Main Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org)

What is not clear is if the reference to MPEG-4 SP mean that the PS3 will only decode MPEG-4 Simple Profile (low resolution and low bitrate) or if it will also decode ASP (high resolution and high bandwidth) content. If if does not then Sony intentionally cripled decoding of XVID to limit it to decode PSP video content only. This would be dumb... unless the PS3 CPU can't handle the higher bitrate profile of MPEG-4 part 2 ;-) Just Kidding!

[IG]Mart
28-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I thought the 2.0 update would play avi files from what i was told but as i updated i can see you cant,hope it happens some time in another update.