PDA

View Full Version : Divx on the 360?

tinkertiler
13-11-2007, 05:53 PM
The new dash update is rumored to have divx support now if this is the case then the console to have is now a must have! It is due on the 4th December so time will tell i guess but i do hope that this is true because it would mean i can get rid of the xvid player and ju8st have the 360 instead. It just turns a good console into the best console by far. PS3 aint got it the Wii cannot even play a DVD so thats it game over in my book goodbye all other consoles.

y2krog2000
13-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Great news because I have some daft add in to play DivX on mines and it dosent work all the time, BTW most people use vlc player to play their movies on the PS3.

tinkertiler
13-11-2007, 06:49 PM
It looks like this is MS attempt at killing off XBMC for the 360 and thus killing the homebrew scene on the 360. XBMC as anyone who modded the original xbox was the best dvd player around it played everything, they are still now tweaking it and doing new releases. I think that MS hope that this will kill this off for the 360 which is not a bad idea in my opinion and its great news because then i dont have to stream stuff off the pc through the 360 which is a bind. It just makes the console complete in my opinion great games great dvd playback (now it wasnt at the begining!) hd WMV playback the only thing left would be mp3 playback off disc but i can live without that.

y2krog2000
13-11-2007, 07:22 PM
You can stream DivX, XviD and the rest to the PS3 when using nero home, it also says streaming to the 360 as well but havent tried it yet Nero – Nero 8 Introduction (http://www.nero.com/eng/nero8-introduction.html).

tinkertiler
13-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Yes you can stream BUT its a pain in the a$$!!! It would be so much better just to chuck it on a memory stick or chuck it on disc and play. Maybe you can stream to the PS3 and the 360 at the mo but i just cannot be bothered with the hassle just burn and play is better.

y2krog2000
13-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Yes you can stream BUT its a pain in the a$$!!!
I would rather stream, got one of them microsoft wireless adapters for it and have downloaded some high def wmv clips 1080p and it works well just have to save up and buy a HDTV now lol, not a lot of hassle just have to look up my computer on the XBOX and just pick the music or videos I want then press play.

tinkertiler
13-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I would rather stream, got one of them microsoft wireless adapters for it and have downloaded some high def wmv clips 1080p and it works well just have to save up and buy a HDTV now lol, not a lot of hassle just have to look up my computer on the XBOX and just pick the music or videos I want then press play.

That is what i used to do but now i just put them on disc and they play great and it dont tie up the pc. The WMVs that are on a single layer disc are just awesome quality and it dont cost much for them so i just keep them on disc. My mate tried to stream WMVs across a wireless router and he had problems with them locking up. I used to do it through the hard wired method and that worked ok but it killed my pc as it aint that powerful.

What i am trying to say is that the 360 will be the ONLY console that can play divx without any outside help from a pc ect yes the 360 can do it now but you need a pc exactly the same for the PS3 but with the 360 being able to do it on its own is one step further ahead of all the competition

Shipoftheline
15-11-2007, 01:04 PM
It looks like this is MS attempt at killing off XBMC for the 360

I still have my two original xbox's for the games and the XBMC so it wouldn't bother me anyway. I do stream my tv episodes and movies from XBMC and wouldn't be interested in pushing extra wear and tear on the 360

psy
08-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi, is there another thread with the solution for playing divx on a 360?

If there's no other thread and anyone is still interested, I can dig around for the tutorials I used to get it to work on my network, gimme a shout :)

joe41
09-03-2008, 08:02 PM
you can use vlc360 player to play divx(avi) files on your 360.just google it.

soabwahott
18-03-2008, 11:45 PM
There's also Transcode 360 which works in pretty much the same way.

squidge
22-04-2008, 11:38 PM
streaming is ok its transcoding the file thats crap i use transcode 360 as above ive tried em all and thats what ive had best results with
if it had naitive dvx xvid mkv support it would be cool id just stream straight from my pc but i cant see ms allowing it although the ps3 does now suport dvx
long live xbmc