PDA

View Full Version : XBOX What Version?

y2krog2000
04-11-2007, 08:43 PM
How do you find out what model of the XBOX 360 I have, now I know its the full system with 20gb hard drive and HDMI on it, what I want to know is if it has the new 65nm chip inside it and how do I find out as a guy posted a video on youtube and it said it tells you a model like falcon, jasper or something like that on the box and then you can look it up on the net to see what one you have then you will know, it says on the back that it was made on 28/08/2007.

Says on the box : FDOU
Lot :735
looked on the net and there is a mix of old and new ones in that lot but it should be the newer chip because of the date.

Shipoftheline
05-11-2007, 02:06 AM
http://www.xboxversions.com/images/360drives.jpg

stickywicket
05-11-2007, 04:55 AM
if it has an HDMI port then its one of the newer versions, known as the pro console (as opposed to the premium). flashing wise what is important is the type of drive you have as its the drive you flash. if you look at the pics posted in ships link it will tell you which type of drive you have, to find out what rev you have youll need to open it up. youll find it on the sticker on top of the drive, hopefully you have a benq drive as most of the new ones now ship with them.

the falcon chipset is used from lot 734 onwards so you should have it.

tinkertiler
05-11-2007, 10:58 AM
No falcon 65mm chips have been releaded yet just better cooling systems on the (Better heatsink!) I did hear that they was supposed to be on the halo edition one but they never came through as far as i am aware.

stickywicket
05-11-2007, 05:01 PM
MS makes, sells 65nm 'Falcon' Xbox 360s | Reg Hardware (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. reports state they started shipping last month.

y2krog2000
05-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Cheers for all the info, I read last night that as it was made by FDOU and if it was made after 17/08/07 (or somewhere round that date) then they would have the newer chips in it the ones made before then will just have a better heatsink and few other things to help it cool better and anyone sending their xbox back for repair will be getting the repairs done with new parts that are the same as the ones that are already in the machine as they have a stockpile of the old parts. The start of the lot mines came from had the old chip in and they changed to the newer chip around the 17/08/07 they would have been better of just making the lot the same to stop any confusion. Not sure if all this info is correct but read similar info on a few different places, im not gonna be chipping it btw as I will probably only be playing on xbox live I just was surprised I got one with the new chip in it for so cheap:grin:.

tinkertiler
06-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Its numbers after #735 that have the 65mm falcon chip and the bad thing is that some people are still getting 3 red lights!! BUT and this is a big BUT you never know if this is just muppets that are preading crap just to say that they were the first so this may be false. There is a new mobo and chip that is in development at the moment and this is said to be a total revision of the system and should solve all the problems. The GPU and the memory are the problem and the cooling of said parts maybe ms should get miss piggy to design the next one and not kermit the frog like they did on this one!

y2krog2000
06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Its numbers after #735 that have the 65mm falcon chip
Is there an easy way I could find this out for myself without opening up the xbox as I have read on a lot of different places that the batch that came from have the falcon chip if they were made after a certain date and have even read on some places that batch 734 had some falcon chips, I supposed it dosent really matter if it dosent solve the red ring thing as thats why I wanted to know what chip I had.

Thanks

tinkertiler
07-11-2007, 12:23 AM
I got this info from here Cooler: Xbox 360 Falcon Chips Have Landed! (http://kotaku.com/gaming/cooler/xbox-360-falcon-chips-have-landed-305370.php)

It's what many have been waiting for. The new 65nm "Falcon" CPUs are found in the Halo 3 console. Besides being smaller, the 65nm chip is fifty percent less expensive to manufacture and apparently are more economic in heat output. Previous consoles featured a 90nm and have an abnormally high failure rate. According to a Halo 3 Special Edition console dissection by Gamertag "JWSpeed," the motherboard features a simplified heatsink. Removal of the heatsink reveals a new CPU with "CANADA" written on it. How to tell if your console has the new chip without ripping it apart? Check the barcode sticker on the side of the box. The 65nm chipped Halo 3 console was built August 24, 2007 from team "FDOU" and part of lot 734. So does that mean these new Falcon consoles won't Red Ring of Death? Stay tuned.

I hope that this helps you but i have just been hunting round looking for some answers on this subject and no one has any!!! Im guessing that it will be a while before they have all circulated through but it seems that the Halo limited edition box was the first to get this treatment and its just pure luck if you get one at the moment. I cannot see it making that much difference anyway the memory and the gpu are the main problem with bad solder joints but maybe this will help time will tell i suppose.

stickywicket
07-11-2007, 09:31 AM
the main difference will be a reduction in heat dissapated by the cpu which in turn can help with a reduction in board warping and overheating. while your right that it is the GPU an memory that causes most ppls problems this is a step in the right direction and the GPU are being replaced with this chip soon also.

@Y2K, there really is no easy solution to tell other than opening the box an lifting the heatsink, most of the methods posted are not conclusive as ppl have varying results and varying hardware.