PDA

View Full Version : System Control Sidebar Gadget

y2krog2000
30-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Just downloaded this from microsoft and adds this gadget to the vista sidebar, you can download it from below or click the link below to get it from microsoft.

System Control is much more than your average shutdown gadget. Aside from the normal Shutdown, Restart, Lock, and Sleep / Hibernate, we give you Switch User, Log Off, Task Manager, Run Window, and Command Prompt. All of those buttons can be re-ordered or disabled / enabled.

This gadget has two sizes: Small, which accommodates 3 buttons at a time, and Large which gives you the ability access all the buttons at once. In addition to that, we have 10 themes at your disposal.

Worried about accidentally shutting your machine down? No problem. We have an in-gadget confirmation for buttons with greater functionality. We also have a lock button in case you need it.

In addition to the buttons, we also have the time below, which can be changed in the settings panel to: 3 different time formats, date format, overall CPU usage, overall RAM usage, or just plain nothing.

It’s small, sleek, powerful, and very customizable.

New 1.2 Update!

Windows Live Gallery (http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=426dc418-12ce-481a-b886-89a66ca9127e)

Hunter
30-10-2007, 07:57 PM
and will that make the operating system any better:roflmao:

i doubt it:fryingpan:

y2krog2000
30-10-2007, 08:42 PM
and will that make the operating system any better:roflmao:

i doubt it:fryingpan:
Well I wouldnt dream of changing back to XP, I havent had any problems at all with Vista apart from the early beta versions of it.

Diablo13
31-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Well I wouldnt dream of changing back to XP, I havent had any problems at all with Vista apart from the early beta versions of it.

Hear hear y2k. Now that I have turned the user account control off I have no problems with it either and I'm using x64. I tried XP x64 and it was a pain because it wasn't very well supported for drivers, but I am not having that problem with Vista. Hell I even bought a legit copy of home premium.
Nice cool and useful gadget as well, Thanks.

Sicilian
31-10-2007, 06:35 AM
User control does pee me off, is there a just to stop the prompts when trying to install software & change systems settings?

Diablo13
31-10-2007, 09:16 AM
@ Sicilian
Open the Welcome panel from start and then show more details at top right. Click on security center at bottom left and there's a list of settings for Firewall and all sorts with drop down arrows for the individual settings. User account control is the bottom one where it can be turned on or off. Windows will tell you its not advisable but thats bull if its your computer and not a shared one. Theres also a setting for change the way security center alerts me. Change that to don't notify me and don't display an icon. Thats not advisable either according to Microsoft, but it's your computer and it works for me and others.
They advertise Vista as the most secure system ever and it is, to such a degree that it spoils functionality for single users. They have to try to cater for everyone I suppose and after FIVE YEARS of trying to plug gaps in XP's security, they had to show they were trying eh Hunter? :9:
Hope this helps ?

Sicilian
31-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Tbh, i've got Vista Ultimate on my lappy. The only thing that get's on my wit is UAC, all the friggin time, are u sure, are u sure. F*&k off and just do it you silly laptop! :p

y2krog2000
31-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Well at least the User Account thing makes the computer a bit safer and I dont really mind it, you have to do the same thing on linux to BTW but linux is more hard work in my opinion.

Diablo13
31-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Tbh, i've got Vista Ultimate on my lappy. The only thing that get's on my wit is UAC, all the friggin time, are u sure, are u sure. F*&k off and just do it you silly laptop! :p

:)) You couldn't have kids around when it did that to me either m8. I used ultimate to start with and because it has everything on it for the business user I found it even more of a pain. Thats why when I decided to buy it I got the home premium edition instead as it has all the features I need. That is until I saw Cozmo's live desktop done with Dreamscene. That looks brilliant but it wont work on premium. There is a patch which is supposed to make it work on non ultra versions, which I tried but I cant get it to work for me. :confused:

y2krog2000
31-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Have you tried this Diablo.

1. Click the Start button.

2. Click All Programs.

3. Go into Accessories.

4. Right-click on Command Prompt.

5. Select Run as administrator.

6. When the UAC Prompt appears, click Continue.

Once you have your elevated command prompt, follow these steps:

In this case, i?m taking example of ?themecpl.dll? file:

1. At the command prompt, input takeown /f filepath (takeown /f c:\windows\system32\themecpl.dll).

2. Press Enter on the keyboard.

3. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.

4. Now input icacls filepath /grant yourusername:f (icacls c:\windows\system32\themecpl.dll /grant user:f).

5. A message will be displayed that this completed successfully.

You will now be able to modify or replace the file. Repeat the steps for all the files. When you are done, simply remove the permissions to keep the file secure.

Instructions Part 2:

But you can copy and paste these paths into Windows Explorer, and it will figure it out for you.

1. Copy DreamScene.dll to %windir%\system32

2. Copy DreamScene.dll.mui to %windir%\system32\en-US

3. Rename the file themecpl.dll in %windir%\system32 to themecpl.dll.original

4. Copy this patched version of themecpl.dll to %windir%\system32

5. Rename the file themecpl.dll.mui in %windir%\system32\en-US to themecpl.dll.mui.original

6. Copy this version of themecpl.dll.mui to %windir%\system32\en-US

7. Create a new folder in %windir%\Web named ?Windows DreamScene? (without quotes).
This is where you can place your videos, for easy access through the Personalization control panel.

8. Import DreamScene.reg

9. Reboot (or kill explorer.exe and run it again).

Once done right click on the desktop and go to desktop prefs then desktop background then on the drop down list select Video then just browse for the video you want to use.

y2krog2000
01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
If you cant turn it of the way Diablo showed you then try, clicking start and click the picture thats on your start menu (mines is a dog) then click turn user account control of and thats it. Then you might want to click the red X that will apear in the system tray after you do that and choose not to be notified by security center.

Diablo13
01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
@ y2krog
Thank you for the tut about Dreamscene. I printed it and and started to work through it. The first section worked fine and I got user control assigned to me. I got a problem with section 2.4 when it wouldn't accept icacls as a command prompt. Just reading back over your post to type this reply I realize what I did wrong as I put in icasis. I am not used to using script commands as I am still a relative beginner on computers, but your tut was very clear and gave me the confidence to try it. I will have another attempt later.

y2krog2000
01-11-2007, 07:38 PM
No probs diablo, I tried it yesterday and got stuck to as im not used to all that either it wouldnt let me rename one of the files but looked it up on google and found out how to rename it and got it working but ended up doing system restore to get it back to the way it was before as I just wanted to see it working. Dont know if this is the same place you got stuck but it was easy enough to find the answer if you just google the name of the bit your stuck on.

y2krog2000
02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Na your right dreamscene is class, I stuck it back on and put a proper desktop video background on it this time, had star wars on it yesterday lol.