PDA

View Full Version : FTP problem

Dansmate
14-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Can anyone shed any light on this problem..I'm loosing the will to live here...

I'm working my way through 'Setting up a DBOX2 step by step'

I've connected the DBOX2 to my PC using a crossover lead as advised.

I've setup the network using ip address 192.168.0.2 as advised.

I've downloaded SmartFTP to my PC, and setup a connection to my DBOX2 using the DBOX2's ip address, username=root, password=dbox (or dbox2) and tried to connect.

SmartFTP attempts to connect but then I get a message that says 'unable to etablish connection'

I've also tried ftp'ing via IE using ftp://root:box@<ip address>/tmp but I get the same result.

One thing that really confuses me is that the ip address on my DBOX2 is 192.168.1.109 which coincidentally is the same as in the SmartFTP example in another Beginners Guide that I picked up from this site.

What am I doing wrong?

Obviously, until I am able to ftp to my box then I can't do any file transfers.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Dansmate

krazylegz
14-10-2007, 06:19 PM
your problem is in your ip addys m8.

the way you said it you've got

192.168.0.2 for pc.

192.168.1.109 for dbox.

the red numbers need to be the same m8 otherwise it'll never connect.

change your pc to 192.168.1.101 and dbox to 192.168.1.102 also make sure that subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0

hope this helps m8

Dansmate
14-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for this, much appreciated.

I'll give it a go in the morning and get back to you.

Dansmate

Dansmate
15-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Hi Krazylegs - me again.

Just to clarify my original post...

The 'Setting up a DBOX2' doc advised me to use 192.168.0.2 in the ip address field for setting up a network.

Should I have been using my PC's ip address here (just checked the ip address of my PC and its 192.168.0.3)or will your recommendation that the 3rd numbers (1 and 0) still apply?

Thanks again

Dansmate

krazylegz
15-10-2007, 07:34 PM
you can set up the network to use any ip's dan m8 just as long as they are in range

eg

192.168.0.2--------dbox
192.168.0.3--------pc
255.255.255.0---------subnetmask on both pc and dbox

also make sure all firewalls,adware/spyware,malware,antivirus etc are all turned off

notanotherone
15-10-2007, 07:50 PM
if you have an image on your box you should use that so if your ip addy on your box is
192.169.1.110 set your network card to 192.168.1.109 and turn off firewall also set your speed to 100 base full duplex and if you have norton on your pc lose it
i use flash fxp as i find its easier but i think its the same as what your uising
here goes
open up ftp (in my case flash fxp)
there is a lightning button thats the connect
then its quick connect
and becasue i have a history of them i can just scroll to my ip addy so say my addy on my box was as i said 192.168.1.110 i would find and and click it
then username is root
then password is dbox (unless you are using a commando image then that changes
then you hitn connect
on the left hand screen you should se your pc stuff and if it connects you should see your box stuff

let us know how things are going

krazylegz
15-10-2007, 08:43 PM
192.169.1.110 set your network card to 192.168.109

do it nao's way and you'll never connect without the .1 ;) :roflmao:

Dansmate
17-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Problem solved - in a roundabout way!

As part of trying to flash the Sportster image to my dbox2 I bought a null modem cable and used that in conjunction with a crossover cable to connect the 2 boxes, and voila!

The image got succesfully flashed!!

But even better - the flashing of this new image also set the ip address on my dbox2 to one in a similar range to my PC....so..

I can now FTP no problem.

So many thanks guys (nao and krazylegz) Whilst the problem was solved in a roundabout way, you gave me the impetus to carry on.

All I need now is a satellite version of a services.xml and a bouquets.xml and I'll be in business - any ideas where I can get these?

Regards and thanks,

Dansmate

notanotherone
17-10-2007, 08:29 PM
do it nao's way and you'll never connect without the .1 ;) :roflmao:
you have to excuse an old man lol you young wipper snapper :roflmao:

krazylegz
18-10-2007, 05:32 PM
pleased you got it going m8, just scan or load in some channel lists,if you want a channel list let me know and i'll upload one for you;)

Dansmate
21-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the offer of service and bouquet files.

I have started another thread on this subject (apologies - still finding my way around this wonderful site!)

What I'm looking for is service and bouquet files for a satellite DBOX2. I've searched a number of links on this subject and DID actually find a service and bouquet file but unfortunately they wouldn't work.

I then tried scanning the box and, whilst it seem to work, I just got several regional versions of BBC1 and ITV.

I got to thinking that my problems were being caused by the image I'm using (Sportster) so I've reflashed with a Yadi image - not a good idea!

Now I can't see anything - flashing was OK but cannot see any channels nor cannot do a scan - infact I'm getting a message on my box that advises me that I have no ucodes, and that I should FTP them to the box. What are Ucodes?

I'm beginning to think that a satellite version of this box wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

Looking forward to some help as a confidence booster again.

Thanks,

Dansmate

krazylegz
21-10-2007, 07:09 PM
yadi images are just base images with no keys,cams etc.

is your box a 1x or 2x m8 then i'll upload a image i know that works for m8;)

Dansmate
22-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi again,

The box has 2 processors so its a X2 image that I need.

Thanks

krazylegz
22-10-2007, 01:31 PM
pm sent m8;)

Dansmate
23-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the image.

I flashed it last night and all was well. It came with a bouquet and service file which, for some reason didn't seem to work, so I did a scan and ended up with 700+ channels!

Thats the good bit..

Unfortunately I'm only getting the free-to-view channels, and I've had a look round WOD for keys or whatever to allow me to view a few more channels.

I did find a really useful post, from which a moderator had made some keys and cams available for download, but unfortunatley the download attachment box on my WOD session always reads:

Could not find phrase 'error_postcount_too_low_attachment'.

I can't work out what the problem is with this attacment box - would it be possible for someone to email me the keys/cams that I need, plus where I ned to save them to on the DBOX2.

(Good fun this - learning loads)

Dansmate

berley
23-10-2007, 07:24 PM
the message is self explanatory, once you have more posts you'll be able to download them yourself

i would hope that no one has pm'd you them as that defeats the very object of this forum

krazylegz
24-10-2007, 02:44 AM
if you're box is networked m8 then everything should be available to download via the blue panel feature on the box

Dansmate
24-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Hello again,

What do you mean by 'if you're box is networked'?

To me, 'networked' means that the DBOX is connected to something.

The only thing the box is connected to is a satellite dish and my PC (sometimes)

Also, you go on to say that 'everything should be available to download via the blue panel feature on the box'

I'm showing my ignorance now with the DBOX but what is the blue panel feature?

Dansmate

krazylegz
25-10-2007, 02:42 AM
networked means your box connected to the internet either by a direct connection or though a router;)

blue panel menu is a option embedded in most images to download keys/cams to the box so the install themselves

Dansmate
25-10-2007, 06:14 PM
A couple of points:

If I?m ?networked? which site should I be connecting to, to be able to download keys/cams?

Also, I can?t see any ?blue panel menu/option? on the ?petze? image that you sent me to download.

Thanks for your continued help