PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 50" Plasma

DessertDog
30-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Looks a good price try here.

LG 50PC1D 50" HD Ready Plasma TV With Freeview 50PC1D - Saverstore.com (http://www.saverstore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=20009776&pid=10&tid=60)

jaaae
09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
We've got the LG 42PC55 and it was ?560 with 3 year warranty from Empire Drirect. a cracking deal and a great TV

vincewrd
09-04-2008, 10:29 PM
bigger is not always better i brought the lg 50" picture was crap. so took it back got a 42" toshiba 1080p (full hd) lcd for 100 pound more (from currys) you should see that on a ps3 or bluray player outstanding

jaaae
09-04-2008, 10:35 PM
It also depends on how close you are to the screen I guess

derbyc316
09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Argos have got some cheap 42" LCD.
I bought a new 50" Sony Rear projection off ebay. Normally rear projection was rubbish but this is excellent better than the LCD

frustin
23-04-2008, 04:13 PM
do you not find that it doesnt handle the blacks to good on the rear projection makes it look like a grey

BraveHeart
10-12-2009, 07:00 PM
iam thinking about replacing my old philips 42inch plasma, its 5 years old, still a good oldie though, it doesnt have HD, or built in freeview or freesat receiver or anything like that, i only use the tv to watch normal standard tv through either the virgin/dreambox, or my sky+ box, and i watch dvd's etc, just normal use as i say, no gaming or stuff like that.

Anyway, iam only wanting to spend cheap money, maybe about 700quid, couldnt see me paying much more than that, i would like the screen to be bigger than 42inch if poss, although i do understand that bigger isnt always better, 46 or 50 would be nice though :)

Plus, i dont mind if its plasma or lcd, no big deal to me.

The other thing is i would be ordering from here >>

Very- Electricals- televisions & home cinema (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. so that kind of restricts my options, but thats the way it goes, hey ho, lol

anyone any good ideas ?

fergalsworld
10-12-2009, 07:16 PM
This is the one i have, it puts lcd even the new led ones to shame
it displays the sd picture great i cant wait to see hd on it:)
paid ?649 for it awhile back its ?549 in currys at the moment
Panasonic 37ins HD-ready Freeview plasma TV TX-P37X10B - Very (http://www.very.co.uk/rf/vry/p.do/electricals/televisions-home-cinema/plasma-tvs/37ins-hd-45-ready-freeview-plasma-tv-tx-45-p37x10b?Nao=12&groupId=606558064&Nu=this_product&SNtk=&Np=1&SN=154+4294955505+85+4294963551&Ntt=606558064&D=606558064&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=581371935&N=154+4294955505+85+4294963551&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=581371935&pageSize=12&selectedImg=A011_SP285_05_PY502.jpg)

Sicilian
10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I got this one here Panasonic 42in full HD Freesat plasma TV TX-P42G10B - Very (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I'd shop around, the idependants are selling them with 5 year panasonic warranty. I paid ?780.00 mine :)

BraveHeart
10-12-2009, 07:24 PM
This is the one i have, it puts lcd even the new led ones to shame
it displays the sd picture great i cant wait to see hd on it:)
paid ?649 for it awhile back its ?549 in currys at the moment
Panasonic 37ins HD-ready Freeview plasma TV TX-P37X10B - Very (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. 37 is too wee for me mate, but thanks anyways :), my current one is 42inch, so i would prefer at least 42inch or bigger to replace it if ya know what i mean.

BraveHeart
10-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I got this one here Panasonic 42in full HD Freesat plasma TV TX-P42G10B - Very (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I'd shop around, the idependants are selling them with 5 year panasonic warranty. I paid ?780.00 mine :)
looks good mate, but i cant stretch to that price, wish i could :( plus i can only shop at that one place (very)

fergalsworld
10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I wasn't recommending you buy it i was just posting what i have lol
i tried 42" but it was to big for my room the 37" fits just nicely:)
Sic's one is the one i would recommend plasma, builtin freview HD and 600Hz to boot lovely.

BraveHeart
10-12-2009, 07:34 PM
what about this one ? >>> Panasonic 46in full HD Freesat plasma TV TX-P46G10B - Very (http://www.very.co.uk/rf/vry/p.do/electricals/televisions-home-cinema/plasma-tvs/46in-full-hd-freesat-plasma-tv-tx-45-p46g10b?Nao=12&groupId=606286121&Nu=this_product&SNtk=&Np=1&SN=154+4294955505+85+4294963551&Ntt=606286121&D=606286121&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2bmatchall&thisprod=596898765&N=154+4294955505+85+4294963551&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=596898765&pageSize=12&selectedImg=A011_SP285_02_PY404b.jpg)

Sicilian
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
what about this one ? >>> Panasonic 46in full HD Freesat plasma TV TX-P46G10B - Very (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Now i'm fooking pissed off! :roflmao:

That's the same as mine but cheaper and larger ffs! Why didn't I checkout very?

BraveHeart
10-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Now i'm fooking pissed off! :roflmao:
That's the same as mine but cheaper and larger ffs! Why didn't I checkout very?
lol, i see that, they have it smaller and more expensive, lol wtf, out of stock though :(

fergalsworld
10-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Looks good that one m8
sic's yours is cheaper here
Panasonic TXP42G10B | TXP42G10B Price | 42" Plasma | Cheapest UK Deals (http://www.tvprice.co.uk/panasonic-txp42g10b-759.aspx)

Sicilian
10-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Looks good that one m8
sic's yours is cheaper here
Panasonic TXP42G10B | TXP42G10B Price | 42" Plasma | Cheapest UK Deals (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I went for the local independent cos of the Panasonic 5 year warranty. Oh well feel better now the 46" is out of stock lol! Bet it goes up in price when they have stock. I was just thinking of ways to return mine back to the store lol!

BraveHeart
10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I went for the local independent cos of the Panasonic 5 year warranty. Oh well feel better now the 46" is out of stock lol! Bet it goes up in price when they have stock. I was just thinking of ways to return it back to the store lol!
i called them, they have no idea when stock will be in or even if they will get more stock, probably a total con just to get people looking, grrrrr....

thelostone
11-12-2009, 12:58 AM
This is the panasonic i have
Panasonic TH-42PX600B - Plasma and LCD TVs - Shopping.com UK (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I have had it for a few years now and i dread to think how much i paid for it now they have come down in price.My daughters have other makes of lcd tvs but there not a patch on mine,the point i am trying to make is imo you will not go far wrong with a panny tv, weather you have a plasma or lcd that is up to you there are good and bad things for both types of tv.You could also consider a pioneer kuro plasma, i dont think these are made any more and are not cheap but good tvs.One other thing to think of is the sound,lots of flat screen tvs have small speakers which give a tinny sound(my daughter found this out) most produce a lovely hd picture but not all produce a good sd picture which is what most people watch pannys do

BraveHeart
12-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Still havent picked one of those tellys yet, some look pretty good and ive read some reviews, but its very difficult to say whats what, iam not sure if they review tellys from a proffesional point of view or just from a normal users point of view, like me, iam normal user, watch sky through the sky box, watch virgin through the virgin box, and watch some dvd's that ive put on disks etc, thats about it, nuffin else.

the old one i currently have is this one here >>>

Philips 42PF9946 Plasma Television Products Details (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Could someone tell me, compared to my old one there, would nearly all those plasma's on the very website >> Very- Electricals- televisions & home cinema- plasma TVs (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Would they totally out perform my old one, thats basically all i need and want, iam happy with my old one, but would be extremely happy just to get a new one that totally out performs the old one, just dont want to make a right ass of things and buy a new one thats actually worse than my old one, lol, if that is possible.

p.s
in my circumstances is it better to go for a plasma or lcd as either way it dont matter to me ?

thelostone
13-12-2009, 12:18 AM
My mrs has a philips lcd in the bedroom but imo i would say the panasonic tvs would look better.As for the plasma or lcd question it has been covered before but have a read hopfully this might help
Comparison between Plasma and LCD technology (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. http://direct.tesco.com/buyersguide/lcd%20versus%20plasma%20tv.aspx
hope this helps mate

Collider
13-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Have to admit lost that the link you provide is very LCD bias lol,heres some wikipedia links
Plasma display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display)
Liquid crystal display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display)
but to be honest best way would to be go into currys or dixons and hassle a sales assistant in there.

BraveHeart
13-12-2009, 01:34 AM
looks like its a plasma i will buy rather than an lcd then, i always had that in mind anyway, just didnt know if the techknowledgy had moved on yet though, i guess not, an lcd is still an lcd nomatter how its dressed up and a plasma is a plasma.

thanks for those pages guys, made good reading.
(lcd good for smaller screens as computer monitor etc, plasma better as giant screens for normal tv viewing etc)

fergalsworld
13-12-2009, 09:41 AM
In currys by me they have a 42" plasma and lcd side by side on the wall showing the same
hd movie sample you can easily see the difference between the two
the picture on the plasma is more crisper sharper and above all more life like than on the lcd
go and have a look at them in currys,comet,etc and you can judge for yourself
also to note plasma's cost a bit more to run eleccy wise.

Collider
13-12-2009, 10:17 AM
+ to add to plasma downside,you will get more burn in on screen.

Gazer
13-12-2009, 11:59 AM
well i would wait a few more months as the new freeview HD TVs will be out in the shops, as Winter Hill transmitter up in the north west is already beaming out lovely Freeview HD signals and i do know that the Humax HD-FOX T2 and DVB-T2 HD boxes will both be out by end of Jan/Feb 2010 and will let you access the likes of BBC HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD without needing to pay a penny on top of the cost of the box..... so the TVs will not be long after that.

thelostone
13-12-2009, 12:01 PM
also to note plasma's cost a bit more to run eleccy wise.
Forgot to tell the mrs that when we were looking for ours:D

+ to add to plasma downside,you will get more burn in on screen.
some of the newer plasma tvs have anti-screenburn tech to help stop this but you do have to be carefull, as i have said before you get what you pay for
Plasma TV Burn In: Is It Still a Problem? at Plasma TV Buying Guide (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. plasmas do run hotter as well but tbh i dont think there is not that much difference

Diablo13
14-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I got an LG 47" LCD recently and I am very happy with it. It has very dark blacks and vibrant colours. Freesat and Freeview HD is already built in.
My previous set was an LG 42" plasma, which is about 3 years old now. The new LCD has a much sharper picture, uses less power and has many power saving features built in. You can turn it off completely at the set for a start, and it has an ambient light sensor built in, to adjust the screen brightness according to your viewing conditions. It works great for games on my Xbox 360 as well.
In the summer when it is warm, the plasma's heat output could make the room uncomfortably warm after it had been on a while.
I read a lot of reviews about Plasma vs LCD before I bought mine. In the end it comes down to 2 things, personal preference and power consumption. There is very little if anything to choose between the newer type's of sets, but a huge difference between what manufacturers make of their sets.
In today's climate of rising fuel costs, I would say the LCD wins out because of it's cheaper running costs.

BraveHeart
14-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I got an LG 47" LCD recently and I am very happy with it. It has very dark blacks and vibrant colours. Freesat and Freeview HD is already built in.
My previous set was an LG 42" plasma, which is about 3 years old now. The new LCD has a much sharper picture, uses less power and has many power saving features built in. You can turn it off completely at the set for a start, and it has an ambient light sensor built in, to adjust the screen brightness according to your viewing conditions. It works great for games on my Xbox 360 as well.
In the summer when it is warm, the plasma's heat output could make the room uncomfortably warm after it had been on a while.
I read a lot of reviews about Plasma vs LCD before I bought mine. In the end it comes down to 2 things, personal preference and power consumption. There is very little if anything to choose between the newer type's of sets, but a huge difference between what manufacturers make of their sets.
In today's climate of rising fuel costs, I would say the LCD wins out because of it's cheaper running costs.

cheers mate, could you tell me what model it is please, thanks.

Diablo13
15-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Yes, Mine is an LG LF7700, which I got for a great price from Richer Sounds. It was only ?599 on offer, so with a 5 year warranty and delivery it came to about ?630 all in. I think that is pretty hard to beat.
Another thing, it has is a swivel stand, useful if a few of you are watching it. It's got 3 HDMI sockets and a PCMCIA slot at the back for a pay per view/ Top Up Tv add on card. I'm well happy with it, especially at that price. Same set on the same day in Currys was ?999.00, and they reckon that was on offer!

BraveHeart
26-12-2009, 08:49 AM
ok, i waited and waited till now (boxing day), and i watched the stock and the price, and this is what i went for, what do you guys think >>>

Panasonic 46in full HD Freesat plasma TV TX-P46G10B - Very (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I got 10% off it, so i got it for about ?998.

(please remember i could only buy from very, so no use in saying in it was cheaper elsewhere, i already know that, lol)

Diablo13
26-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes looks good m8. You cant really go wrong with Panasonic. They are consistently voted the best for picture quality. With a 600mhz refresh rate you wont get any blur in sports or fast action films.
It's hard when you are limited to only one supplier because you cant compare prices and try to price match. You got your discount anyway which was good so I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Well done for hanging on!

BraveHeart
27-12-2009, 03:47 AM
know how the tv has built in freesat, does that mean i dont need my sky box now (apart from the sky+ recorder which i would miss), my sky box isnt hd, so am i best just to use freesat with the new telly seens that its built in and i imagine is hd ?? would i gain or lose any channels, i only have the sky minimum subscription anyway (entertainmeant pack) and i dont even watch any of the channels as i have a virgin dreambox anyway, iam just trying to weigh up the pro's and con's if you know what i mean ?

Also, none of my other equipment such as the dreambox etc is hd, so i dont know what to do, do i just use the normal scart sockets or do i buy cables that convert scart to hdmi instead ? again iam not sure if theres anything to gain or lose there ?

Iam sure someone will know please ?

cheers.

thelostone
27-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I think there would be some channels on your sky box that you can not get on the tv but if you dont watch it then then thats not a prob,i think you did well with the tv as diablo says you can not go wrong with a panny.You can not buy cables that convert scart to hdmi,you will need a converter which are not cheap.Imo get your self a good scart socket mate.If you miss the recording side of your sky box you could get one of these
Buy PANASONIC DMR-XS350EBK | High definition hard drive and dvd recorder - Digital Recorders | Comet (http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/552828/PANASONIC-DMR-XS350EBK)

Diablo13
27-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes you would lose some channels just using the tv.
If you use your Sky box then it should work as a plugthrough to your telly. If it's like mine you will have a button on your remote to switch inputs, so you can get freeview, including BBC HD without it going through your Sky box as well.
It's not worth buying an HD recorder at the moment I don't think as there is not much hd programing available, without buying Sky's HD packages for quite a bit more money. Your tv will upscale to give you the best picture anyway. I have noticed the biggest advantage of HD tv, ie BBC HD is the sound quality. The picture looks about the same to me, but the sound is much better as I think it is broadcast in 5.1 Dolby.
As thelostone said, use decent scart cables. Dont waste money on an expensive scart to hdmi converter box. I just did and apart from the ease of connection staight into my amp, the picture quality is nowhere near as good as pluging my Dbox into the set by scart lead, and cheap scart lead at that!
I didn't buy the cheapest scart to hdmi connector around and it was from a UK company, but really so far it was a waste of 65 quid!

BraveHeart
27-12-2009, 11:48 PM
thanks guys, yea i have good scart cables already, they aint mega expensive ones but they are better than cheapo's, i think they were about ?30 each in a sale.

The other thing iam wondering is, i see the tv has a socket to plug in an SD card, does that mean for things like movies ive downloaded off torrent sites, i just convert them as normal like as if i was going to burn them to dvd, but then instead of putting them on a dvd i would put them on the SD card and view them that way ? or do i have to even convert the movies at all ?

Diablo13
28-12-2009, 01:59 AM
As far as watching films from an sd card;
I think it depends entirely on your telly. I have a usb connection on mine, but it will play music or show photos but it won't show films! Unless they update the firmware later on.
I normally download a film and put it on the memory stick as an avi, then play it back either through my 360 (before it was banned online), or through a Cyclone adapter I bought for that purpose.
The only way to find out is to load an avi or/and an mp4 you have downloaded and see if it will play back? You can also try mp3 music files and jpg images and you will see what it is capable of.
Didn't you once tell me you had a PS3? If you have you should be able to plug a pen drive into a usb of that and watch films I think?

Sicilian
28-12-2009, 07:46 AM
thanks guys, yea i have good scart cables already, they aint mega expensive ones but they are better than cheapo's, i think they were about ?30 each in a sale.
The other thing iam wondering is, i see the tv has a socket to plug in an SD card, does that mean for things like movies ive downloaded off torrent sites, i just convert them as normal like as if i was going to burn them to dvd, but then instead of putting them on a dvd i would put them on the SD card and view them that way ? or do i have to even convert the movies at all ?

It wont play movies through the sd card, only view photos.

BraveHeart
28-12-2009, 09:03 AM
thanks mate, but how come it says >

"Simply insert an SD Memory Card into VIERA to display photos and full-HD videos on the large screen"

(i dont doubt you or anyones word, just wondering why it says this and what it means)

Cheers.

Diablo13
28-12-2009, 10:16 AM
As I said I think it depends on the firmware that has been enabled by the manufacturers. The only way you will find out is by trying it out as I said, because different firms can enable different things.
Your panny is higher spec than my LG in some ways, so it might do it.
Do you have a usb slot on it as well? Some do, some don't, but you could try that as well. You have nothing to lose do you.

Sicilian
28-12-2009, 10:39 AM
thanks mate, but how come it says >
"Simply insert an SD Memory Card into VIERA to display photos and full-HD videos on the large screen"
(i dont doubt you or anyones word, just wondering why it says this and what it means)
Cheers.

Could be your model has a slightly different spec to mine then. I'm pretty sure your is the 46" version of mine. If so it defo wont play xvid or divx. Maybe it will play video's filmed from a camera or camcorder.

thelostone
28-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Sounds like yours is a slightly different spec than mine as well, i did read that panasonic had been crafty and the tv would only play stuff on a sd card that had been recordered on panny cameras,video recorders ect.Tbh i have never used mine but there is only one way to find out

BraveHeart
28-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Do you have a usb slot on it as well? Some do, some don't, but you could try that as well. You have nothing to lose do you.

Thanks again everyone :)

no usb slot according to the specs i read :(

and yea, wait n see, i bet the catch is that it has to be panasonic movies from a panasonic video camera etc, lol, but i never noticed any ** in the specs, so who knows , anyones guess init, i best just wait n see and keep fingers crossed

BraveHeart
30-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Hey guys, see regarding like 46inch V 50inch plasma (that same 46" panasonic one ive ordered).

Is it still like the old days that the quality of the picture suffers slightly the bigger the screen ?

I'm actually drooling over the 50inch now and thinking about canceling the 46inch one, but I dunno, iam not sure if the pixels will be stretched and all that like they used to say when buying plasmas years ago, see if anyones around, i would really appreciate if you know a bit about you could post up, cause i dont want to balls things up, i want a great picture quality, but at the same time the 50inch size i would love.

thanks for any help.

Diablo13
30-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Seems to be down to aspect ratio to me m8.
I mean I know widescreen is 16:9 but the actual screen can look wider, without height on a 42", but a 47" is about the same width but the height of the screen makes it look more square and gives more depth.
A bit hard to explain but lately you seem to get more in between sizes like 46", 47" etc whereas before it used to be 42" or 50". Does this make ANY sense at all to people reading this?
There should be no loss of picture quality or pixelization on a bigger set, it just depends how it looks in your room and how you like the aforementioned widescreen, or widescreen and depth given by the bigger 50" screen?

BraveHeart
30-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Seems to be down to aspect ratio to me m8.
I mean I know widescreen is 16:9 but the actual screen can look wider, without height on a 42", but a 47" is about the same width but the height of the screen makes it look more square and gives more depth.
A bit hard to explain but lately you seem to get more in between sizes like 46", 47" etc whereas before it used to be 42" or 50". Does this make ANY sense at all to people reading this?
There should be no loss of picture quality or pixelization on a bigger set, it just depends how it looks in your room and how you like the aforementioned widescreen, or widescreen and depth given by the bigger 50" screen?

Yes mate, makes some sense to me (i think, lol), i think what your saying is a taller and wider screen wont have the same aspect ratio as a less tall and wide one ?

If thats the case though, why does it say on the panasonic website that the aspect on both the 50 and 46 inch is 16:9 wide ? hmmm, i dunno, must still be 16:9 but different size i guess, eh ? cant see it having bigger black borders or anything like that, but as i say, i dunno.

About the picture quality, this is the number of pixels for both the 46 and the 50inch >> 2,073,600 (1,920 x 1,080) pixels, so if they both have the same number of pixels to fill the screen then dont that mean that the pixels would be slightly stretched to fit the 50inch screen and = very slightly poorer picture quality ?

I know that years ago this used to be the case with plasma's etc, and you could easily see the degraded picture on a larger screen that had the same amount of pixels as its smaller brother, but like i says earlier, iam not sure with new techknowledgy if this is still the same senario with todays decent plasma's etc.

Does that make any sense to anyone ? LOL

Diablo13
30-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Not explained that very well have I.
They are all 16:9 but you keep that aspect ratio ie width x height by making the screen wider and also taller. The screen size is measured diagonally from corner to corner, so wider is also made higher to keep the same aspect. Really I suppose I need pictures I haven't got to explain this. If you look at a 42", 46" and a 50" side by side on a sellers website you will see that a 46" looks more square than a 42", but a 50" just looks bigger overall, height and width?
The pixel quantity is pixels PER INCH, so a bigger screen has more pixels because of it's size, but they are all still 1920 x 1080 per inch!
Otherwise if they just made the pixels bigger to cover the whole screen a 60" or 300" screen, like the outside billboard type screens would just look awful and no one would be able to watch them, let alone buy them!
Plasma's have larger pixels than LCD screens, so an LCD SHOULD be sharper? If you get slow refresh rates on a Plasma you see the blocks the size of kids building bricks on screen. Thats what I used to get sometimes with my older 42" 50hz plasma, which is one of the reasons I upgraded to 100hz LCD in the first place.
I hope thats clearer now? :lol:

BraveHeart
30-12-2009, 05:38 AM
ahh i see what you mean now mate, so a 46inch is actually slightly more of a square shape tv rather than the 42 and the 50inch, 42&50 they would be more of a longer rectangle shape and therefore show/accomodate the true 16:9 widescreen format movies etc better ? (although they can all show 16:9, some with more and less of stretching and pulling etc)

Hmmm, now this has got me stumpped then, the 46inch pretty much gets near perfect scores on all the reviews ive read, infact one site says the 46 is as good as it gets in the 46inch size.
Iam not sure though if i would like a squarer shaped tv or picture for that matter as iam so used to my trusty old philips 42inch with true 16:9 widescreen and obviously the tv is the long widescreen rectangle shape too, dunno if i would like it a bit square looking, dont think i would actually.

But, the 50inch also gets nearly perfect scores on the reviews too, and it does have the long shape and true 16:9 widescreen, so maybe thats better for me, i dunno.

I looked on currys website and it has both the tv;s and on the specs for the 46 it says it doesnt have true 16:9, and for the 50inch it says yes it does have true 16:9, so your probably very correct on that diablo mate :)

Only thing is though, when looking at both specs on panasonics website they say both have true 16:9 widescreen, but its probably like you said, it will be a different shape, but i wonder how the reviews score the 46inch about the best buy on the market in the 46 range, hmmm.

my head buzzing now, lol.

BraveHeart
30-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks diablo for your input mate, much appreciated as always :)

Oh well, not much sense fussing now, LOL, i just canceled the 46inch and ordered the 50inch instead, only cost me another 100quid, so what the heck man, no big deal, plus i have plenty of room for it, its not as if we'r sitting squeezed up to the screen and all that, anyway, done now :)
I think what swayed it for me was to have the true 16:9 as iam so used to that now it would not seem right if i didnt have it, but the 50inch does and thats cool.

so much for it being cheap, eh, lol...

p.s
incase anyones wondering what one we'r on about now, its this one >> To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Panasonic 50in full HD Freesat plasma TV TX-P50G10B )

Diablo13
30-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Well done on making your mind up m8!
If you look at the picture in your link that 50" looks almost square, LOL, the same as my 47" does!

I think what swayed it for me was to have the true 16:9 as iam so used to that now it would not seem right if i didnt have it, but the 50inch does and thats cool.
Still not sure you have grasped the concept of 16:9 widescreen m8 because mine is 47" 16:9 widescreen as well and it looks the same as that one, just yours will be 3" diameter bigger.
So long as your happy thats the main thing. :thumbup2:
I notice it takes 6 weeks to deliver though, so you might have decided to go for a 60" by then! :lol3:

BraveHeart
30-12-2009, 09:47 AM
you've had me looking back and forth at the pictures now, lol, but its just the same picture they are using to display all the three sets 42/46 and 50, looks like it to me anyway.

Plus like i says previous, on the currys website it says for the 46 inch "true 16:9 widescreen" No !, and for the 42 and 50 it says Yes !, so that sealed the deal for me.

Dont you get me thinking about 60 inch's now, hahhahaa.

cheers mate. :lala:

thelostone
30-12-2009, 11:44 AM
dont no how far away you are sitting from your tv mate but this might help
TV and HDTV: Frequently Asked Questions (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. remember any imperfections with your signal ie sky box ect and a 50" tv will show it

Diablo13
30-12-2009, 03:00 PM
An interesting article with some good basic information.
There is plenty of leeway given for watching distances and basically you want to be more than 6 foot away from a large screen.
For my 47" to 50" bracket you are talking between about 6' to 11' roughly. I just measured my position at just under 8' so that seems about right to me as it increases slightly if I recline.

BraveHeart
30-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm 10ft + away from tv :)

BraveHeart
30-12-2009, 11:26 PM
can someone tell me,

how does this freesat thing work if iam also going to hook up my sky+ box via scart, currently the satalite feed screws onto the sky box, does this mean i will need to get a splitter and 2 piece's of cable to split the sat feed to the sky+ box and to the freesat input on tv ?? (same as we do with virgin box's and modems etc) ?

Diablo13
31-12-2009, 03:47 AM
I suppose that's one way of doing it, then both tuners will work independently.
Does a Sky box have an in and out antenna connection? Most boxes do, so you can plug the dish into the Sky box and a lead out of the box into the telly in a loopthrough. You should then be able to watch the telly channels without the box being switched on. You don't need to scart it then!

BraveHeart
31-12-2009, 03:51 AM
I suppose that's one way of doing it, then both tuners will work independently.
Does a Sky box have an in and out antenna connection? Most boxes do, so you can plug the dish into the Sky box and a lead out of the box into the telly in a loopthrough. You should then be able to watch the telly channels without the box being switched on. You don't need to scart it then!

hmm, i see, i didnt know that, i thought the freesat on the tv would have to be fed with a sat feed direct, i dunno, has yours got freesat mate ?

wouldnt it be better quality to have direct feed and use the scarts though ?

maybe a split sat feed would drop the signal on sky and freesat and picture would breakup ? i have boosters i can use though if thats the case, i dunno, never done anything like this with sat stuff, only virgin cable.

hmmm ? just thought of something else, if the main sat feed is in the sky+ box and i used a scart to the tv, wouldnt that scart then be able to feed the signal to the freesat on the tv, or is that different setup ?

Diablo13
31-12-2009, 04:11 AM
I have Freesat HD built into my set as well.
At the moment the dish is plugged straight into that. I have a Technomate TM 500 box for sat as well. but not had chance to set it up yet. I just looked at the back of it and there is normal aerial in and out as well as Satellite in and out loopthrough connections.So just like an old VHS recorder your Sat lead goes in the box and out to the telly. Your new set when you get it has freeview HD built in as well doesn't it, so I don't see what you could gain by using a scart connection? You will get the digital signal just the same into your telly run on it's own tuner. The more cables and extra boxes you have connected, the more you are likely to get a degraded signal I would have thought? Besides a scart uses an analogue signal I think, so the loopthrough should be better as it's then all digital.
As you know I'm no expert, but thats how I intend to do mine. I ve got a Humax recorder plugged in on a splitter to the tv through HDMI as well.

BraveHeart
31-12-2009, 04:16 AM
I have Freesat HD built into my set as well.
At the moment the dish is plugged straight into that. I have a Technomate TM 500 box for sat as well. but not had chance to set it up yet. I just looked at the back of it and there is normal aerial in and out as well as Satellite in and out loopthrough connections.So just like an old VHS recorder your Sat lead goes in the box and out to the telly. Your new set when you get it has freeview HD built in as well doesn't it, so I don't see what you could gain by using a scart connection? You will get the digital signal just the same into your telly run on it's own tuner. The more cables and extra boxes you have connected, the more you are likely to get a degraded signal I would have thought? Besides a scart uses an analogue signal I think, so the loopthrough should be better as it's then all digital.
As you know I'm no expert, but thats how I intend to do mine. I ve got a Humax recorder plugged in on a splitter to the tv through HDMI as well.

ahh i see i see :), thanks mate, i will probably just set it up like yours is then, i dunno if scart gains anything over an rf cable (i think thats the ones your on about that plug in/out of your video/dvd recorders etc).

See the freesat on the tv though, does that have a screw on connection like normal sat and cable connection, or does it just have a normal rf socket ?

Diablo13
31-12-2009, 04:25 AM
My tv has the normal plugin Rf connections and the screw in sat/cable F connections as well. I am pretty sure yours will have the same because it already has the digital tuner built in as well.

BraveHeart
05-01-2010, 06:34 AM
so is it better to split the sat feed then or do as diablo says, i mean for quality ?

Sicilian
05-01-2010, 08:30 AM
can someone tell me,
how does this freesat thing work if iam also going to hook up my sky+ box via scart, currently the satalite feed screws onto the sky box, does this mean i will need to get a splitter and 2 piece's of cable to split the sat feed to the sky+ box and to the freesat input on tv ?? (same as we do with virgin box's and modems etc) ?

You cannot split a satellite feed. I'm guessing you have an LNB with either 2 or four outputs as you have sky+ installed, so you'll need to run another feed from the dish LNB to your TV. The reason you cant split a satellite single is because many channels are on different transponders. So for instance if you sky+ is switched to ITV, the other feed (if split) wont pick up the bbv channels, you'll get tune failed or something on your TV, even if the sky+ box is on standby. I think you will need to physically power off the sky+ box.

I know this for a fact because I was thinking the same as you when I got my TV delivered.

BraveHeart
05-01-2010, 08:33 AM
You cannot split a satellite feed. I'm guessing you have an LNB with either 2 or four outputs as you have sky+ installed, so you'll need to run another feed from the dish LNB to your TV. The reason you cant split a satellite single is because many channels are on different transponders. So for instance if you sky+ is switched to ITV, the other feed (if split) wont pick up the bbv channels, you'll get tune failed or something on your TV, even if the sky+ box is on standby. I think you will need to physically power off the sky+ box.
I know this for a fact because I was thinking the same as you when I got my TV delivered.

theres only 1 lnb, its a communal dish that serves 3 houses. (i cant run another feed from the dish as its not on my house)

Sicilian
05-01-2010, 08:35 AM
theres only 1 lnb, its a communal dish that serves 3 houses. (i cant run another feed from the dish as its not on my house)

So has your sky+ box only got one feed?

BraveHeart
05-01-2010, 08:40 AM
So has your sky+ box only got one feed?

1 feed yes

Sicilian
05-01-2010, 08:43 AM
1 feed yes

So are you able to record one channel and watch another? My guess is no, but I could be wrong as I have no idea how communal dishes work. So if can cant record one channel & watch another you prob wont be able to split the feed unless you power off your sky+ box when you watch freesat on the tv.

BraveHeart
05-01-2010, 08:46 AM
So are you able to record one channel and watch another? My guess is no, but I could be wrong as I have no idea how communal dishes work. So if can cant record one channel & watch another you prob wont be able to split the feed unless you power off your sky+ box when you watch freesat on the tv.
ermm, cant remember to be honest mate, usually only time i record is if iam going out, so iam not sure, but i think i have been able to view and record different channels at the same time, cant be 100% on that but pretty sure.

Diablo13
05-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I must admit it never occurred to me that you couldn't split a satellite signal in the same way as you split a cable signal!
One thing I find slightly confusing though Sic is the recording one channel and watching another at the same time part?
Not sure about Sky+ boxes, but if you have a twin tuner box, like my Humax, or the Humax Foxsat, then surely it is the box itself that lets you do that?
Or if I, for example wanted to buy the Humax Foxsat twin tuner satellite box, would I also have to change my single LNB to to at least a dual LNB to take advantage of it's functions properly?

BraveHeart
05-01-2010, 09:31 PM
just checked my sky+ box, it does have two sat feeds going into it from the socket on the wall behind curtain, so now we know (defo dont have more than one lnb on the dish though and that serves 3 houses), and i can record one channel and watch another.

so does this mean i just use one of those feeds for the freesat on the tv and one feed for sky+ box ? (i know if that works it would mean losing the recording function, well I'm thinking it will, i'm none the wiser, lol)

Diablo13
05-01-2010, 09:52 PM
You've got 2 feeds in which should both be connected, but you must have at least 1 output to your telly, which should work as a loopthrough for your telly receiver to get all the freeview channels it is designed to get?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

P.S. The communal dish will feed into a booster box, which in turn will feed the individual houses or flats.
So the feeds come off that, not the LNB directly.

Sicilian
06-01-2010, 07:29 AM
@ Diablo, yes you would need a dual output lnb for recordings to work correctly on satellite.

@ Thomson, you can connect one feed to the tv, but the sky+ box will only be able to record the channel it's tuned to. If you've got the new epg on your sky+ box I believe it can be set to one tuner, but again it will only record what its tuned to.

BraveHeart
10-01-2010, 01:07 AM

on this subject here i quoted above, i was reading the instructions manual for the telly online from pannys website and it says this "File format:
Only AVCHD or MPEG2 are supported"

so does that mean that if i encoded a movie into those formats that it would then play on the tv from the sd card you think ? according to the manual it says yes it works, but it doesnt really mention movies that have been encoded, just movies from a video camera i think.

thelostone
10-01-2010, 01:26 AM
i think as you say it only means stuff recorded off a video camera mate, i dont no if encoding a film in one of these format will work as i have said before there is only one way to find out.Let us no how you get on

BraveHeart
08-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Telly comes on thursday, took a while to come into stock, however, with my discount and intrest free payments i cant complain :)

I shall let ya'z know how it goes no doubt, lol.

BraveHeart
12-02-2010, 01:42 AM
Ok got the telly today (panasonic TX-P50G10B).

Hoping for some advice here, specially from any the people who have similar model to mines.

Straight away i am very dissapointed in the picture quality of SD content (standard definition), the SD quailty is far far worse than on my trusty 6 year old philips plasma which displayed excellent SD quality, and all i have is SD equipment for now, standard sky+ box, standard Virgin cable box, standard Dreambox 500c and standard dvd player.

The tv does have built in FreeSat though, and when I view the only HD channel i can find, LOL, which is BBC-HD then i can see the great picture quality this telly can produce, but apart from that the picture quality is pretty crap i would say :(

I do understand that a Full HD tv will only produces as good of images as the equipment that feeds it, I.E - i'm going to need to buy some HD boxs, i know that, but i honestly didnt think standard definition would be as bad as what it is :(

However, I do know that from all the reviews and things i read before buying this tv that its just about the best tv you can buy for the money in its class, well unless you want to spend a few grand on a pioneer that is, lol, feck that, even at that, i bet the pioneers also pruduce poor standard definition too.

Anyway, what i need to know is, is there something i'm doing wrong with the settings etc ? Ive been through the normal menus for colour/contrast/brightness/sharpness etc etc etc, but it doesnt really matter what i do, standard def still look garbage, even the freesat standard def channels (99% of freesat,lol) look crap, I cant help but notice the picture is rather blurry too, you know like you need to adjust the sharpness, but the sharpness isnt very good, up full it makes the edges of images etc look very grainy, and medium or lowest settings just make the image look slightly blurry again, you know what i mean ?? its like as if you had a pair of spectacles on that were not meant for your eyes and give a very slight blur, not in HD though, thats spot on.

So is there some things i can try or do i have to save up money to buy a few HD boxs or what ? or do i just have to sit tight and wait on all channels going HD, lol, i dont know when that will happen though :(.

What about freeview, do i have to plug the tv aerial into the analog tv aerial socket on the tv ?? if so i dunno how i'm going to do it as i have it looping through the sky+ box so that i can have a working aerial socket upstairs in my bedroom too, would i need to use a splitter ?

Hope some people can help.

Cheers.

BraveHeart
12-02-2010, 03:40 AM
no edit button on my last post for me to add this onto it, hmm ??

p.s
what the heck are the "ferrite cores" for that come with the tv, something to do with fitting to the cables or something like that ?

thelostone
12-02-2010, 11:06 AM
p.s
what the heck are the "ferrite cores" for that come with the tv, something to do with fitting to the cables or something like that ?
The ferrite core is used to stop interfrance put it on your power cable near the plug end, as for the tv if you have just got it give it a few days to settle down.As you say there are a lot of things that can cause picture probs dont no what sort of aerial you have but if you have already spilt the signal to go upstairs you may need to boost it.As i have said before when these tv are set up in shops ect they usally show an hd pic because not all tvs do well with an sd signal but i am surprised that your tv is not good at showing sd pics

Sicilian
12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
One of the reasons that made me stick with a 42" is that any imperfections in SD / signal quality etc..just get made worse in the larger screen you get. Give it time though. You'll find that after a week or so of use the piture quality actually gets better.

For the aerial your could prob just get away with a splitter, you might need an amp though.

Diablo13
12-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I am really surprised that your not happy with a Panasonic telly m8, they are supposed to be the dogs with regards to picture quality.
I am happy with my cheap LG 47" it has a brilliant picture in either SD or HD. That's not to say it's perfect though, every so often I see a blurring round the edges of peoples heads in particular. I can live with it because it does'nt happen all the time. What I find strange is that I never saw that before on the 50hz 42" set I had before?

If I was you I would ring up the suppliers tell them your not happy and they may be able to send an engineer out. They might be able to re set it up in the engineers menu or advise you how to improve your picture. I'm not saying you can't set it up yourself, but if you aren't happy an engineer should be able to improve it or tell you what you can do, on the other hand he may diagnose a fault with it!
It should be a free service so you have nothing to lose.

fergalsworld
12-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Its a plasma tv they need a week or two to bed in, the picture quality will improve after a few weeks
the first thing to do is go into picture settings and set viewing mode to Cinema and leave it set to that for atleast 5 weeks infact i have mine set to this all the time this reduces the risk of screen burn it also reduces the artifacts ie the halo around the players when you watch a footy match
dont leave any menus up from other boxes for longer than 5-10 mins
also try setting colour balance to cool or normal
make sure your other boxes av output picture settings are set to RGB

BraveHeart
12-02-2010, 07:42 PM
The ferrite core is used to stop interfrance put it on your power cable near the plug end, as for the tv if you have just got it give it a few days to settle down.As you say there are a lot of things that can cause picture probs dont no what sort of aerial you have but if you have already spilt the signal to go upstairs you may need to boost it.As i have said before when these tv are set up in shops ect they usally show an hd pic because not all tvs do well with an sd signal but i am surprised that your tv is not good at showing sd pics

thanks mate, do i need them though ?

BraveHeart
12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Its a plasma tv they need a week or two to bed in, the picture quality will improve after a few weeks
the first thing to do is go into picture settings and set viewing mode to Cinema and leave it set to that for atleast 5 weeks infact i have mine set to this all the time this reduces the risk of screen burn it also reduces the artifacts ie the halo around the players when you watch a footy match
dont leave any menus up from other boxes for longer than 5-10 mins
also try setting colour balance to cool or normal
make sure your other boxes av output picture settings are set to RGB

thanks mate,

5 weeks on cinema mode, lol, picture is really crap on cinema mode :(

One thing thats really really pissing me off with it is the sharpness, its as if its kinda blurry, you know like wearing spectacles that were not meant for ya, know what i mean ?
And adjusting the sharpness doesnt help, sharpness down low its blurry, medium its blurry and up high is too high and it makes all the images of people etc all rough and grainy looking specially round the edges, only time the sharpness clarity is great is on the HD channel and/or on a standard definition channel thats broadcasting a good quality picture, apart from that its all crap :(

Youz reckon after a few weeks that will all sort its self out, yea ?

thelostone
12-02-2010, 08:27 PM
thanks mate, do i need them though ?
You could try it see if it makes your picture any better if not take them off:trustme:

thelostone
12-02-2010, 08:34 PM
the first thing to do is go into picture settings and set viewing mode to Cinema and leave it set to that for atleast 5 weeks infact i have mine set to this all the time this reduces the risk of screen burn it also reduces the artifacts
Dont want to hijack this thread but this may be of intrest to others, on my panny it has a dynamic mode,i did read somewere that this dose the tv no good at all.Anyone else heard this and dose anyone use this mode?

BraveHeart
12-02-2010, 09:27 PM
You could try it see if it makes your picture any better if not take them off:trustme:

what does your instructions manual say about the ferrite cores, mines says they should be fitted on an Lan cable if your connecting the tv to the internet, hmmm (and iam not).

@ loststone, the dynamic mode on mines makes the picture very clourfull and bright, but i think it just satuartes the colours and turns the contrast up full, not good idea i wouldnt think.

thelostone
12-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Mine is already built on to the power lead mate near the plug i will see if i can dig out the instructions see what they say

BraveHeart
12-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Mine is already built on to the power lead mate near the plug i will see if i can dig out the instructions see what they say

cheers :)

BraveHeart
13-02-2010, 12:45 AM

did you find the instructions mate ?

thelostone
13-02-2010, 12:49 AM
not yet had a lot on to day:trustme:

BraveHeart
13-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Ok guys, this is where I'm at just now with my 50" G10.

As you all know i was moaning a lot about standard def picture quality.

So tonight i decided to switch the scart cables round so that my virgin box is on its own in scart 1, and the sky plus box is on its own in scart 2.

Now, lol, I am not sure if this is pure coincidence or not, but the standard definition pictures seem to be pretty great now .

But now I dont know if its basically becuase the tv has been run in for a few days or if it was Because i changed the scart setup round, hmmmm ? strange, eh ?

Plus I added the ferrite Cores to both scart cables right up at the ends where they plugs into the tv set where i believe they go ?

Also can someone tell me what the option "INTELIGENT FRAME CREATION" is for, I'm not sure at all ?
I was watching some standard definition Live Golf tonight on sky sports and i fealt as though when the ball's where flying through the air fast etc that the motion was slightly jerky jerky, you know what i mean ??
I know this cant happen on a tv like this as it has 600hz inteligent frame creation techknowledgy, but i dont know if this being turned on is meant for watching golf and footy etc or if its only meant for when using gaming consoles and stuff ???
I have left it switched on for now, plus i dont use game consoles and stuff either.

Can someone please help me with all these points, thanks very much

fergalsworld
13-02-2010, 11:14 PM
When you say they are on there own scarts 1 and 2 in what way did you have them connected before?

copied and pasted:)
IFC
"In simple terms it inserts addtional frames into the picture which is supposed to make motion better, however like most of these efforts from manufacturers it has it's drawbacks like producing artifacts on screen, sometime a halo will appear around objects. As the motion is good on these sets anyway & due to the artifacts produced most people prefer this switched off"

Some say its good turned on for movies some say no good for fast moving sports
but try it and see which you prefer

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 12:48 AM
When you say they are on there own scarts 1 and 2 in what way did you have them connected before?
copied and pasted:)
IFC
"In simple terms it inserts addtional frames into the picture which is supposed to make motion better, however like most of these efforts from manufacturers it has it's drawbacks like producing artifacts on screen, sometime a halo will appear around objects. As the motion is good on these sets anyway & due to the artifacts produced most people prefer this switched off"
Some say its good turned on for movies some say no good for fast moving sports
but try it and see which you prefer

so the IFC is just one of those things thats trial on error, lol, they bring all these things on tv sets and most people have them switched off to get the best picture, crazy init, lol.

The scarts, before, i had them like, one from dreambox to sky+, and then from sky+ to tv, but now i have them straight into the two tv scart sockets on they'r own.

someone mentioned i should try the component connection from the dreambox to the tv, is that worth trying ?? (rather than scart i mean)

fergalsworld
14-02-2010, 01:30 AM
I have half the options on my tv switched off as turning them on dont make any difference imo.
You should get a better picture using component connection but i dont think it will be a vast improvement.

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 01:33 AM
I have half the options on my tv switched off as turning them on dont make any difference imo.
You should get a better picture using component connection but i dont think it will be a vast improvement.
just been told that the dreambox 500c doesnt have component, it has composite which is seemingly worse than scart, hmmmm ? i dunno if thats true though.

EDIT

found this on the dreambox guide >>>>

Video Output (FBAS)
You can optionally connect your Dreambox to a TV using a RCA/Chinch cable. (Composite)

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 01:42 AM
just seen this >>>>>

Feb 11 2010BBC iPlayer On Panasonic From Mid-February?
General, Receivers, Technical 19 Comments ?

It has been brought to our attention by one of our readers (thanks Mike!) that according to DTG, Panasonic?s current software version is due to be updated on Monday 15th February 2010.

We know that Panasonic have been working with the BBC to introduce iPlayer across their range of televisions (following Sony a few weeks back) but is this the date when it launches? We hope so!

We have contacted Panasonic and they have stated that they cannot release information coincidently until that very same date;

our 2010 line-up is under embargo until 9.00 GMT 15th Feb

We know quite a few of you have Panasonic televisions with Freesat built-in and are eagerly awaiting the availability of BBC iPlayer, so lets hope this is it!

posted on here >>> Join Freesat (http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/)

fergalsworld
14-02-2010, 02:01 AM
If its true you might have to leave your tv in standby over night to grab the update as thats when they usually transmit them.

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 02:06 AM
If its true you might have to leave your tv in standby over night to grab the update as thats when they usually transmit them.
my telly is never turned off at the wall anyway, its always just left on standby, so iam ok on that front :)

i guess we should note down our software version number just now to see if it changes over the next few days.

Diablo13
14-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Composite is the red white and yellow connections and it is like s/vhs, crap, the lowest value connection.
Component (a bit confusingly) is the red blue and green RGB connection and is supposed to be the next best thing to HDMI, but it doesn't carry sound so you would have to use either an optical spdf connection, or the red and white audio connections as well.

If you want to record a program from your Dreambox to a standalone recorder, you would connect the scart from the Dreambox to the recorder and then the out scart from the recorder to the telly, to make a loop through.
If you connected your Dreambox by scart to your Sky + box and then scart out of that to the telly, you are trying to put 2 conflicting signals into one scart, which would cause interference and probably accounted for your bad picture!
I believe I told you about doing a loopthrough with your scart ages ago, but I did not mean for you to loop 2 separate receivers in that way!

I record almost everything before I watch it so I have a couple of loopthroughs, which link receiver and recorder together then out to the telly. For 2 receivers that would be 2 separate loopthroughs to individual scart connections on the telly.
Sorry for any confusion caused.

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 05:59 AM
my telly is never turned off at the wall anyway, its always just left on standby, so iam ok on that front :)
i guess we should note down our software version number just now to see if it changes over the next few days.

mines is version 1612-10000 for now, so we shall see if anything happens come monday/tuesday :)

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Composite is the red white and yellow connections and it is like s/vhs, crap, the lowest value connection.
Component (a bit confusingly) is the red blue and green RGB connection and is supposed to be the next best thing to HDMI, but it doesn't carry sound so you would have to use either an optical spdf connection, or the red and white audio connections as well.

If you want to record a program from your Dreambox to a standalone recorder, you would connect the scart from the Dreambox to the recorder and then the out scart from the recorder to the telly, to make a loop through.
If you connected your Dreambox by scart to your Sky + box and then scart out of that to the telly, you are trying to put 2 conflicting signals into one scart, which would cause interference and probably accounted for your bad picture!
I believe I told you about doing a loopthrough with your scart ages ago, but I did not mean for you to loop 2 separate receivers in that way!

I record almost everything before I watch it so I have a couple of loopthroughs, which link receiver and recorder together then out to the telly. For 2 receivers that would be 2 separate loopthroughs to individual scart connections on the telly.
Sorry for any confusion caused.

thanks mate :)

i think the way i have it now is ok, i only have two scart sockets, so i have my dreambox straight into scart 1 on its own, and i have my dvd player looping through my sky+ box and then into scart 2 on tv, its the only way i can do it.

Seems to be better than it was before :), your right, possibily some conflicting signals there, lol, i think i'm the conflict, hahhaha... i will get there in the end (i hope).

thelostone
14-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Sorry can not find my insructions typical, but i do no not all scarts are rgb enabled sometimes only one is but not sure on your tv have a look in your paper work you may need to swop them

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Sorry can not find my insructions typical, but i do no not all scarts are rgb enabled sometimes only one is but not sure on your tv have a look in your paper work you may need to swop them

says in the book and on the tv >

AV 1
rgb (->)
video (->)

and scart 2 says

AV 2
rgb(->)
video(->)
s video(->)

So is that ok ?

thelostone
14-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Looks like both of them are rgb enabled mate:thumbup2:

Diablo13
15-02-2010, 04:50 AM
i think the way i have it now is ok, i only have two scart sockets, so i have my dreambox straight into scart 1 on its own, and i have my dvd player looping through my sky+ box and then into scart 2 on tv, its the only way i can do it.

That's right for scart connections m8.
If you have an HDMI connection on your Sky box use that for better quality sound an vision. I m not trying to confuse you but your telly will have HDMI sockets, so you could do the same loopthrough with HDMI leads if your recorder has it as well? Or scart from 1 to the other and HDMI out to the telly.
Should upscale then I think?

BraveHeart
15-02-2010, 04:52 AM
ok guys, please accept my apoligise on this, after ages of checking my picture on standard sky+ box, and freesat thats built into the tv, i can see that they are pretty much ok, still not brilliant though as they are standard def

However, its my dreambox thats giving me the headache (dreambox 500c), its a cable tv receiver box, it works absolutley perfect and crystal clear on my other 6 year old plasma, yet on this brand new one it gives like a very slight out of focus picture, some things look ok, and some dont, most of the latter , i even double checked the box was ok by attaching it to the old plasma and its pefectly fine.
And i also plugged in my real virgin cable box (standard def) to check what kind of picture that gives and its a lot clearer than the dreambox, hmmmmm ????????? me not happy

How can this be and it works ok on the other telly ??

Diablo13
15-02-2010, 05:22 AM
The new telly is sharper than the old one so maybe its making a weak signal more noticeable?
Try to manually tune the AV channel your Dreambox is on first?
You will probable have a fine tune on your set which could make all the difference. Automatic tuning is not always spot on and if you tuned the set in when you had both your boxes going into one scart it might have got a bit confused?
Or you could try a cheap booster from your Dreambox?

I'm actually quite good at confusing high tec machinery! You should see my pc whinge sometimes! :errrr: :lol:

BraveHeart
15-02-2010, 05:31 AM
The new telly is sharper than the old one so maybe its making a weak signal more noticeable?
Try to manually tune the AV channel your Dreambox is on first?
You will probable have a fine tune on your set which could make all the difference. Automatic tuning is not always spot on and if you tuned the set in when you had both your boxes going into one scart it might have got a bit confused?
Or you could try a cheap booster from your Dreambox?

I'm actually quite good at confusing high tec machinery! You should see my pc whinge sometimes! :errrr: :lol:

ilmfao, hehehehe.

i dont think you can manually tune an AV scart connection mate, lol

actually, youve just made me think of something, maybe instead of using the scart for the dreambox i should try the normal coax feed, no ?

fergalsworld
15-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Check on the dreambox that its set to rgb and not cvbs.

Diablo13
15-02-2010, 08:49 PM
i dont think you can manually tune an AV scart connection mate, lol
actually, youve just made me think of something, maybe instead of using the scart for the dreambox i should try the normal coax feed, no ?[/QUOTE]

If you bring up your list of channels don't you see the AV1 and AV2 channels? Or could be channel 00? With an options next to it for fine tune or brightness and the like. I'm sure I used to be able to do that on an older telly I had, but it was a while ago. You may be able to do it, or I might be talking out of my ar$e again! :o
As Fergals said check that the DB is set to RGB and the AV is RGB as well because that usually gives you a choice of CVBS or RGB.
God that sounds complicated, like a board meeting of ICI nerds! :lol:
Using the coax feed should be into the DB and looped out to the telly anyway surely, as is the normal setup?

BraveHeart
16-02-2010, 01:51 AM
thanks fergal and diablo, yes the first things i always check is to make sure all devices including the tv are outputting RGB.

And, about the coax diablo, with the dreambox you connect it to the cable feed obviously from the cable feed input on the box, and then you have a choice of output, you can either just use the scart or the rf ouput (the coax cable, same as the cable you would get with a video recorder etc that goes between the video recorder and the tv).

Had a look for the manual tuning of the AV inputs but like i said before, you cant do that, there is no option for that, all you can do is plug the scart cable in and thats it, no tuning required, its the box that you tune, not the AV inputs on the tv.

So I'm patiently waiting on my rf cable (or whatever its called) coming in the post so that i can see what like the picture is that the dreambox outputs though that rather than the scart to see if it sorts this focus problem, ive never tried it before, so we shall see, if that doesnt work then i have a eurovox which i can also try which may give better picture without a focus problem, still wierd though how its fine on the older plasma, hmmmm.:dinner:

p.s
now iam also wondering if using a different image might help this problem with the dreambox ?

Diablo13
16-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Why didn't you just buy an RF cable from a local shop?
It will probably cost more in postage than to buy 1 from Maplins or B+Q or something as they are cheap to buy anyway.
The RF loopthrough means your telly gets all it's normal channels even when the Dreambox or whatever box is not switched on, that's why you have it like that. I doubt it will make any difference to your picture though m8, unless the DB works as a booster, which most recorders do so that there is no loss of signal quality between the 2 appliances.
Whatever image you have on the box, or whichever box you use you should get a good picture. Shame about there being no AV tuning, connected by Rf cable you should be able to manually tune any channel of your choice, say 00 to your Dreambox though, so that you get the output of the DB on it as a separate channel, and just change channels on the DB?

BraveHeart
16-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Why didn't you just buy an RF cable from a local shop?
It will probably cost more in postage than to buy 1 from Maplins or B+Q or something as they are cheap to buy anyway.
The RF loopthrough means your telly gets all it's normal channels even when the Dreambox or whatever box is not switched on, that's why you have it like that. I doubt it will make any difference to your picture though m8, unless the DB works as a booster, which most recorders do so that there is no loss of signal quality between the 2 appliances.
Whatever image you have on the box, or whichever box you use you should get a good picture. Shame about there being no AV tuning, connected by Rf cable you should be able to manually tune any channel of your choice, say 00 to your Dreambox though, so that you get the output of the DB on it as a separate channel, and just change channels on the DB?

yes mate, thats what I'm planning is to tune the dreambox to a seperate channel using the rf cable, like you though, i'm not sure what the quality will be like, we shall see soon.

I didnt buy from the local shops etc as its just as cheap if your buying a few items like i done on ebay, infact its cheaper a lot of the time, plus the little bits and pieces i bought i would maybe have struggled to get in the likes of b&q etc anyway, but i know what you mean, sometimes quicker just to go to the shops, specially when i have a whole host of shops just a stones throw away from me, LOL, thats typical of me being a lazy so and so and the booze making me think ebay ebay ebay !!!, hehehhe.

anyway, we'll see how it goes.