PDA

View Full Version : win xp installation problem

weeanne
13-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi I have tried to reinstall win xp pro on my brothers computer, but it keeps saying cannot copy file. Each time I try it it is a different file it cannot copy. I have removed all components and refitted including reseating the cpu. I then thought it may be the graphics card and changed that still the same. The cd is fine it installs on other computer no problem and HDD is fine I installed xp on it in my system. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

stickywicket
13-09-2007, 02:34 PM
could the optical drive be faulty/dirty lens, try installing using a different optical drive, remembering to set boot options in bios.
has the computer been overclocked, if so set the clock speed to default in bios.
have you tested the memory, if it has more than one stick of ram try each one independently or run a memory test using one of the various memory test apps, sounds like it could be a faulty stick of ram or something is overheating,
there are various problems that can give the results you posted, without more info im afraid its trial and error.

pokerplaya
21-09-2007, 10:35 PM
hi.. just my ten pence worth...

when i re-install or just do a new install of xp i use a dvd drive i keep to one side as i have found with some drives certain files do not copy but with this dvd drive it always installs all the files seamlessly.
doesnt matter what the system is with this drive its flawless... plus the disc i use is a secial dvd with 11 versions of xp on,,, very usefull dvd!
bought it off ebay 4 quid...
regards dave

cozmo
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
this sound like problems i come across everyday in what i do its will be 1 of two things normally most common is the ram if u have more than one stick of memory in then take one out when u install and if still no go swap it for the other and try again very rare to get two faulty ones and second thing it to try different cd , dvd-rom but i would put money on the memory oh and by the way when u have finished installing xp 9 times out of 10 it will let u put the memory stick back in u left out as it only dose a heavy check when it installs

hope this helps

cozmo

rocketray
01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I have done many install over the years and would agree with cozmo, you have some faulty ram in your system.

dx100-uk
02-11-2007, 02:03 AM
never bother with using discs
always use a second HDD ive had for years with differing versions of operating systems copied on it.

just copy the contents of your disc onto another hdd or the one on the pc, just whip it out and create a second partition and boot from that
you can always remove the extra partition afterwards.

if using a 2nd hdd just bung it in as a slave on cs jumper and away you go.
if that gets error then its off of this method, then time to investigate the ram as suggested or possibly look for bad sectors on your hdd via dos boot and chkdsk.

dont forget that the install from wherever you do it still creates a virtual drive, if sector errors exist, it will fail with that error too.

another good tip is to always run format prog from a floppy or some other way before you install and use the /u option.

dx100uk

jitjunior
01-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I had a problem loading XP on my PC initially. It wouldnt work because of actual switches on the motherboard.

Wazza
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I had a similar problem that baffled me for some time. Eventually tracked it down to the RAM not seating properly.

smif
29-03-2008, 03:31 PM
If as you say the cd and hdd is ok then i would try using
a known working optical drive.This has solved the problem
you describe on a couple of computers i have sorted.

gavjox
03-04-2008, 10:58 PM
To test if your memory might be the problem, download Memtest86+ from here:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Then boot with it and leave it to do a full scan of your memory at least once (might take a while)

linzi_h
11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
ive had this problem a few times before and it turned out to be the psu not giving enough power to the board. Replaced it for ?30 and problem was solved. Hope this helps

ceepee2003
13-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Having built or re-installed many, many systems over the years, I would try the memory first. If it isn't that, then swap out the CD/DVD drive you are using for another one.

Dodgy
14-04-2008, 08:52 PM
this sound like problems i come across everyday in what i do its will be 1 of two things normally most common is the ram if u have more than one stick of memory in then take one out when u install and if still no go swap it for the other and try again very rare to get two faulty ones and second thing it to try different cd , dvd-rom but i would put money on the memory oh and by the way when u have finished installing xp 9 times out of 10 it will let u put the memory stick back in u left out as it only dose a heavy check when it installs
hope this helps
cozmo

Was getting excited at being able to answer a question when I seen this...
Defo the ram if you have tried different CD's and drives.

DG